Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Need a Google search phrase

I decided it would be a good idea to find a service,
preferably free, that had people check in daily via email,
phone, whatever so as to be sure they are ok, otherwise call
and if no response send out police or sheriff for a welfare
call.

There used to be at least one such service here many years
ago, but I can't remember anything about them. Can anyone
think of a Google search phrase for this or anyone to call for
this info? I tried a few Google searches but nothing remotely
like this turned up. Evidently the word 'welfare' in the
phrase doesn't work - too many other meanings. At 80, living
alone, this seems like a good precaution to take. One of those
help pendants where you press the button is ok, but if I can
do that I can use my cell or landline to call 911. Besides,
they cost $10 - $15 a month.I suspect an answering service
would do this, but would likely charge even more.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

[...]

here is one I found with "internet daily welfare check":

http://dailylifeline.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Jan 2015 14:27:29 GMT, KenK wrote:

[...]

aged call-in okay service

Gets a couple. Take it from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Maybe I dont fully understand, and I do know about those "Life Alert"
buttons (and other brands), since I know someone who had one.

But it sounds to me, like you want this elderly person to contact you
via the internet daily. Many elders are not real competent with
computers and if they start getting alzheimers or similar, they may not
remember what to do.

Seems it would be easier to just have them call you. Program their
phone for them, so all they have to do is push one button. Tell them
they *must* call you daily, and make sure you have voicemail or an
answering machine available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 09:44:22 -0600, wrote:

[...]

"This elderly person" is the poster.

Seems it would be easier to just have them call you. Program their
phone for them, so all they have to do is push one button. Tell them
they *must* call you daily, and make sure you have voicemail or an
answering machine available.

Probably the best solution, if siblings (who would be 60ish)
also do not have memory problems.
The only way to use Google search is to flush history, hide
bookmarks (back them up and delete them), delete any "saferbrowsing"
files and folder (they just datamine you), and disable geolocation and
anything "social". Can all be done through about:config and a couple
of scripts, but is probably too complicated for the OP.
That was the only way I could get Google to show me real
election previews here in Brazil. Without the cleaning of datamining
engines, it gave me a completely false "personalized" version,
whatever that means.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
[...]

Hi,
No family or neighbor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan Platt wrote in
:

[...]

A lot of police departments are doing this for free. It's called You
Are Not Alone.

Google You Are Not Alone Police .

I'll check this out but unfortunately I'm in the country, not the city. I
sent a letter about this to the sheriff'd dept. - maybe they do this too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:46:53 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

KenK wrote:
[...]

Duh, why didn't he think of that? If he had family or neighbor who was
available whenever needed and he could fully rely on for this, he
wouldn't have posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 06:46:39 -0800, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"KenK" wrote in message

[...]

This one sounds good but without reading it a 2nd or 3rd time, I have a
couple questions that anyone enrolling might want answers for.

Don't get me wrong. They might have very good answers.

Is it necessary to belong to one of those organizations it mentions?
There might be dozens or thousands of member organizations but there
will still be 100 million americans who don't belong to one. OTOH, I
would think most organizations wouldn't really require you to be a
member if they already had the screen up and displaying, and they don't
have to pay extra, because the new client pays the expense. .

Does anyone actually do anything if you don't call in on time? AFAICT
Daily Lifeline won't. It only changes the display on the screen of the
"local hospital, senior center, public safety, church or other
organization. " that the client belongs to. A screen they say should
always be on top, but how can it always be on top unless they have a
monitor just for this**. And what about big organizations where the
list of people late to check in runs to more than will fit on one
screen.

Or maybe there is a screen available for everyone listed as a friend of
the client**.

**I run every program I can in full screen mode, so I can't see other
windows. If this is a browser tab, afaik there is no way to see two
browser tabs at the same time if they are in the same window, and many
people only run one window.

So now you're a member of a sponsoring organization, and they have the
list of late checkins on the top screen of the computer. tWhat are they
going to do about it ? Call the client first, I would think. Call the
client's next door neighbor who doesn't want to be called every day but
will go over when there's a sign of a problem. Call the police? Will
they do all three things? Are they obliged to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
[...]

They don't have to live nearby. You mean OP'er is an orphan?
My daughter lives away from us but she always check in with us
via email or phone. BTW, she is a MD. Even she goes overseas she
is regularly in touch. If she couldn't for a reason. Son and
DIL take over. We're not that old tho with good health, in the mid-70s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in news:XnsA41A4BDB64191invalidcom@
130.133.4.11:

[...]

The USPS informally does this. Ask your postal worker to check on you
if you haven't picked up the previous day's mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
[...]

I didn't say or think they did.

You mean OP'er is an orphan?

No. I mean the OP knows what he needs and he's not so dumb that you
should think he forgot his family and friends.

My daughter lives away from us but she always check in with us
via email or phone. BTW, she is a MD. Even she goes overseas she
is regularly in touch. If she couldn't for a reason. Son and
DIL take over. We're not that old tho with good health, in the mid-70s.

Goody for you.

YOU have nothing to do with this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2015 9:27 AM, KenK wrote:

I decided it would be a good idea to find a service,
preferably free, that had people check in daily via email,
phone, whatever so as to be sure they are ok, otherwise call
and if no response send out police or sheriff for a welfare
call.

There used to be at least one such service here many years
ago, but I can't remember anything about them. Can anyone
think of a Google search phrase for this or anyone to call for
this info?

Try "senior phone tree"

I tried a few Google searches but nothing remotely
like this turned up. Evidently the word 'welfare' in the
phrase doesn't work - too many other meanings. At 80, living
alone, this seems like a good precaution to take. One of those
help pendants where you press the button is ok, but if I can
do that I can use my cell or landline to call 911. Besides,
they cost $10 - $15 a month.I suspect an answering service
would do this, but would likely charge even more.

Another possibilitty - an old Freeware program - Dead Man's Switch (Author: Daisyman)

quote

This application was sparked by an Ars OpenForum thread about what would happen if one of us were to shuffle off to that Great Motherboard in the Sky. Software which would act as a proverbial "Dead Man's Switch" came up, which is basically a system that, if not reset by a given time, will automatically carry out a series of tasks, such as posting messages to websites like Ars, sending e-mails to loved ones (or hated ones), and encrypting or destroying sensitive files (*cough* pr0n *cough*). Interest was expressed for the creation of such software, and well, here it is.

The software is designed to run without installation. Just stick it in a convenient directory, and it will create all the necessary registry entries the first time it is run. Any additional files that it creates will be in the same directory, and will have the extensions .dwp and .dem, for easy portability.

The software can carry out three functions: posting to web pages, sending e-mails, and encrypting files (props to WanderingWastrel for the idea)....in case the you encrypt files accidentally (forget to reset the switch, etc.), or if you are testing the system out by manually triggering the timer, you can decrypt the files using this decryption program. Just make very sure you remember your password!!!"
/quote

download via the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/dms.zip
Size: 439558 bytes
MD5: 88C2B65360763679B58361EB21AF5503

NOTE: there other reminder programs that could be used to trigger an email (if not reset to a later date).

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in newscVqw.349016$Mn4.83940
@fx12.iad:

KenK wrote:
[...]

I email my sister daily as she requested but often she doesn't check her
email for several days.

Nope, no neighbors I know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Susan Bugher wrote in
:

On 1/6/2015 9:27 AM, KenK wrote:

[...]

(Author: Daisyman)

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...m/pub/new/util
ities/dms.zip Size: 439558 bytes
MD5: 88C2B65360763679B58361EB21AF5503

NOTE: there other reminder programs that could be used to trigger an
email (if not reset to a later date).

Susan

Hmmm. Interesting. I thought of writing my own but I've not done any
programming for too long. I'll have to look into your suggestion. Thanks
much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
[...]

Check into her email program. Mine gives me a voice alert and visual
notification
icon when I get an email.
You can get her a free email address that's just for you and alerts
separately.
Instant messaging that pops up an alert?

You have the hard part done...someone who cares about you.
The rest is just making the alert work reliably. The weak link
is your sister. Make it difficult to ignore. You have to fix that
on her end. SHE needs a program the alerts if she didn't get the email.

Nope, no neighbors I know.

Around here we have senior centers. They'll feed you for free
if you need it or for a nominal fee if you don't.
Lunch is a great place to meet neighborhood seniors to network with.
Ditto for churches.
There's no substitute for having someone who cares about you
nearby.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2015 1:10 PM, KenK wrote:
Susan Bugher wrote in

Another possibilitty - an old Freeware program - Dead Man's Switch
(Author: Daisyman)

download via the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...m/pub/new/util
ities/dms.zip Size: 439558 bytes
MD5: 88C2B65360763679B58361EB21AF5503

Hmmm. Interesting. I thought of writing my own but I've not done any
programming for too long. I'll have to look into your suggestion. Thanks
much!

You're welcome. I've had the program file for a long time - downloaded it again to make sure the Wayback Machine wasn't adding an extra bit to the file (it's been known to do that). No problem there.

BUT. . .

I unzipped the file and started the app (just to take a look at the interface.as I've never used it). Shut it down (I thought) and later attempted to delete the newer file - no go - apparently it was still running. I made sure the app's setting was to NOT start when the computer was booted - then tried but couldn't do a normal computer shut-down. I'm running Windows XP. I turned the computer off, restarted it and was able to delete the newer file. I may play around with the app some more to see if I missed something but thought a quick heads-up was in order.

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in :

Check into her email program. Mine gives me a voice alert and visual
notification
icon when I get an email.
You can get her a free email address that's just for you and alerts
separately.
Instant messaging that pops up an alert?

Trouble is, I think she only logs on the net a few times a week, or even
turns on the computer. Unlike me and many others she has a life beyond
the net and computers. Lots of volunteering, visiting and playing with
grandkids, walking, etc. Smart!

Around here we have senior centers. They'll feed you for free
if you need it or for a nominal fee if you don't.
Lunch is a great place to meet neighborhood seniors to network with.
Ditto for churches.

I live in the country so that likely wouldn't help much. Worth thinking
about though. I'll have to try to remember to look into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Jan 2015 17:49:34 GMT, KenK wrote:

mike wrote in :

[...]

The mail carrier someone mentioned sounds like a good idea. Of course
he only comes once a day. 6 days a week (for now).

When I was about 62, I had an inguinal hernia which I did nothing about
for over a year. I felt fine the whole time. It caused a strangulated
bowel one night -- I felt fine that night too until the last moment.

I vomited about 9 times. throwing up so much liquid that I learned later
I was seriously dehydrated. That had caused me to faint on the way to
the toilet, twice each of the last 7 times. (Once half-way there, and
once just as I got there.) I forget the details but I fainted 14
times, when I never had before. I would wake up immediately after
fainting, even before I hit the floor iirc.

One of those times I landed on my back, between two pieces of furniture.
I couldn't seem to roll over partly because of the furniture. and partly
because i'm 50 pounds overweight, and lay there 10 or 15 minutes (I
didn't actually vomit that time because there was nothing left inside
me.) Finally I figured out how to twist around and get up. Instead of
calling an ambulance, I went to bed, woke up in the morning and listened
to the radio for a couple hours. . Then around noon I called a taxi
and took it to the hospital emergency room. Proud of myself that I
walked in, failed to notice how stupid I was.
The doctor said I lost 7" of large intestine, that couldn't be
used anymore, and it would have died at an increasing rate if I had
gotten there any later. Which implies to me if I'd gotten there right
away, I would have lost maybe nothing, or maybe 2 inches. Apparently
we have enought extra bowel that 7" isn't much, and I can't tell that
I'm missing any, but I'm still an idiot and I could have died.

I'm sure you're smart enough to get treated early on and this won't
happen to you.

By coincidence, I also broke my arm at the wrist that last time I
fainted. They fixed that too and my arm is perfect now, except my hand
doesn't bend back quite as far as the other hand does, but I never do
handstands anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2015 9:27 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

This might not be home repair, but it could save a life.
Last year, my friend Bill died. He lived alone. His
adult nephew and nephew's wife would stop by often. One
day no one answered phone or knock on the door. No surprise,
Bill was a night worker, and slept day time. The next
day, nephew went in with his key and found Bill dead on
the floor in the bedroom. Cordless phone in the rack,
"falling and can't get up" pendant neatly on the end
table near the bed. Cell phone on charge. Bill dead
on the floor out of reach of any of the phones.

The day before, if they had gone in and looked, might
saved his life. But no one knew until it was too late.

If you find such a service, I'd like to know. As I'm
over 50 and live alone. That could save * MY * life
one day.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Instead of googling "welfare", maybe "well-being" is the right keyword.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan Platt pretended :
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 09:26:56 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

If you find such a service, I'd like to know. As I'm
over 50 and live alone. That could save * MY * life
one day.

As I said, look for a "You are not alone" program in your area.

In Oz the RedCross runs a program called Telecross where a volunteer
calls each client and escalates the problem if there is no respone.
All the details I am not sure about but it seems to be what is being
asked for here.

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I've fallen and I can't get up...was OT Need a Google searchphrase

On 1/7/2015 1:37 PM, mike wrote:

So, what's a practical schedule for alerts that minimizes false
alarms? Maybe reset the delay
with motion detectors?

Motion Dectection! What a great idea.

I know this is possible: motion detectors can trigger cameras AND the resulting image can be emailed to a remote location.

so. . .

A camera could be set up (say at knee level) in a hallway or bathroom or kitchen. When whoever was at the receiving end of the emails checked - NO recent images would be cause for alarm..

A better set-up would trigger an alarm of some sort (email, phone message etc.) only when no motion was detected for some specified period(s) of time - that might be possible with existing software too. I know virtually nothing about motion detection and video cameras - perhaps someone more knowledgeable can weigh in here.

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan Platt wrote in
:

[...]

I live in the country so I contacted the Sheriff's department. They
provide a service but only for people home-bound due to a medical problem
(s). Must supply two close-by neighbors' addresses and phone numbers. You
and neighbors must have landline available, not cell. They call you, you
don't call them. Specific same time every day for all calls.

I don't think so.

Better search engines than google, yahoo? Guv Bob Home Repair 9 June 14th 14 12:14 PM
Google Search W.T.F. fred[_8_] UK diy 23 May 4th 13 10:19 PM
Google Groups Search Mike Woodworking 35 August 1st 09 01:39 PM
Google search gives a lot of info Earl Woodturning 0 September 11th 05 06:10 AM
OT-Google Desktop search engine Ted Edwards Metalworking 3 November 23rd 04 07:36 AM