Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spray Paint a Cellphone

I have a basic prepaid cellphone. (Not a smart phone). It's black, and
I'm constantly misplacing it, especially in the car. If it was a
brighter color, it would be easier to find. It's a flip phone, so I
cant put a case on it because it would be too much trouble to constantly
remove from the case, when I get calls.

I wont attempt to paint the phone itself because that might get inside
the electronics and damage it, but I can take off the rear panel (over
the battery), and paint that since it's just a plastic cover.

I'd like to to paint it a bright color (like blaze orange), and use a
durable oil based spray paint, such as "Rust Oleum". My concern is that
the paint might melt the plastic, since it probably contains laquer. I
dont know what type of plastic is used for cellphones?

Does anyone know if this is safe, (Wont harm the plastic)?

Otherwise, I'll probably just put some strips of colored electrical tape
on it, but I'm sure they will come off in a short time.

It's too bad they dont make those basic phones in colors like they do
with the smart phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Try model paint for plastic models. Alternatively but a BRIGHTLY colored
case/cover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either Rustoleum or one of the other MAJOR brands makes a paint that
works on ALL plastics.

That would be my choice.

If you're paranoid, just spray some on a cotton
swab (Q-Tip) and dab it on the inside of the battery cover and then
wipe. If it crazes the finish you have your answer. If not, you have
your solution.

Or wipe the inside of the case with nail polish remover. It has acetone
and will melt styrene plastics.

First choice is a case on my belt that is easily accessible sitting,
standing, driving, etc. I don't want to have to look for a ringing
phone in the car. Oh, I don't have to, I just push a button on the
steering wheel to answer it. Much safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:57:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Get some crazy glue, glue to your dingus - then it will always be at hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:24:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Either Rustoleum or one of the other MAJOR brands makes a paint that
works on ALL plastics.

That would be my choice.

If you're paranoid, just spray some on a cotton
swab (Q-Tip) and dab it on the inside of the battery cover and then
wipe. If it crazes the finish you have your answer. If not, you have
your solution.

Or wipe the inside of the case with nail polish remover. It has acetone
and will melt styrene plastics.

First choice is a case on my belt that is easily accessible sitting,
standing, driving, etc. I don't want to have to look for a ringing
phone in the car. Oh, I don't have to, I just push a button on the
steering wheel to answer it. Much safer.

I'll look for that paint. Sounds like the solution.

I have a belt case, which is fine when I'm working outdoors or even
around the house, but having it on my belt in the car would be near
impossible to get to, especially in cold weather when I am wearing a
thick winter coat, being held down by my seat belt. I'd likely have to
unclick the seat belt and unzip my coat.

I dont normally make calls when I'm driving, but I may answer it if I'm
expecting an important call. Even then, I usually pull over if the call
involved more than a few sentences, unless I'm on some country gravel
road and not dealing with traffic.

There is a small compartment on my dashboard in my pickup truck, made
for pens and small items. I usually put my phone in there, but it tends
to fall on the floor at times. A black phone, black floormat, and after
dark, all I have is the fairly dim domelight. Or tyhe phone ends up on
the seat, which is often covered with paper and hand tools and whatever
else, because pickup trucks lack a useful place to put stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:15:26 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

It's too bad they dont make those basic phones in colors like they do
with the smart phones.

Try model paint for plastic models. Alternatively but a BRIGHTLY colored
case/cover.

That's not a bad idea at all. It's made for plastic, and I could even
paint a few stripes on the front cover, (using a small brush) without
getting it into the clear window or the switches/buttons on the edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:44:48 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 17:57:04 -0600,
wrote:

[...]

Use an enamel designed for plastic. Many cheap phones have styrene or
ABS parts. Testors model enamels or Humprol model enamels are
available from hobby shops and will not damage the plastic.

While you're at the hobby shop, buy some Ambroid Cement. This has
nothing to with your phone, but hobby shops are the only places that
sell Ambroid Cement and it's a great glue. Sticks to most things,
dries quickly, but not so strong that you can't break, pry, or cut it
apart when you need to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

do what we do, use another phone to ring the missing phone, so it can be located.

I did just this tonight
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2014 6:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Either Rustoleum or one of the other MAJOR brands makes a paint that
works on ALL plastics.

That would be my choice.

If you're paranoid, just spray some on a cotton
swab (Q-Tip) and dab it on the inside of the battery cover and then
wipe. If it crazes the finish you have your answer. If not, you have
your solution.

Or wipe the inside of the case with nail polish remover. It has acetone
and will melt styrene plastics.

First choice is a case on my belt that is easily accessible sitting,
standing, driving, etc. I don't want to have to look for a ringing
phone in the car. Oh, I don't have to, I just push a button on the
steering wheel to answer it. Much safer.

+1, Ed

GMTA, that's my solution as well. I did it that way even before the
morons in the nanny state of Illinois mandated hands free in vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:51:53 -0600, wrote:

[...]

It is illegal ( here in Ontario and most places) to have the phone in
your hand when driving anyway - you need a new phone that supports
Blue-Tooth, with a bluetooth hands-free unit. That way you can keep
the phone on your belt and answer it with a touch of the button on
the BTHF unit.

There is a small compartment on my dashboard in my pickup truck, made
for pens and small items. I usually put my phone in there, but it tends
to fall on the floor at times. A black phone, black floormat, and after
dark, all I have is the fairly dim domelight. Or tyhe phone ends up on
the seat, which is often covered with paper and hand tools and whatever
else, because pickup trucks lack a useful place to put stuff.

My cellphone has been on my belt for over 8 years - with BT for the
last 4 or 5. The cab on a standard cab Ranger is snug, but still has
lots of places to lose a blackberry ( or any other handheld device)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have a basic prepaid cellphone. (Not a smart phone). It's black, and
I'm constantly misplacing it, especially in the car. If it was a
brighter color, it would be easier to find.

Instead of paint, a couple of inches of fluorescent adhesive
tape will meet the OP's need.

In order not to misplace small thumb drives, I attach a foot of
bright ribbon to each.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

how about putting some Bright Colored Tape, on the back of the phone?

that might help some

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:33:37 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

I have a basic prepaid cellphone. (Not a smart phone). It's black, and
I'm constantly misplacing it, especially in the car. If it was a
brighter color, it would be easier to find.

Instead of paint, a couple of inches of fluorescent adhesive
tape will meet the OP's need.

In order not to misplace small thumb drives, I attach a foot of
bright ribbon to each.

I put them on a bright lanyard

paint spray gun gary Woodworking 8 March 26th 11 01:14 PM
How does epoxy spray paint work, and should I paint at all? mm Home Repair 9 December 7th 08 05:09 PM
Spray paint help Doug Kanter Home Repair 6 October 15th 05 02:31 AM
spray paint vs hand paint wendi Home Repair 19 July 21st 04 01:36 PM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM