Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Free phone number look up

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 21:13:56 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 16:44:46 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

411.com and whitepages.com seem to work OK.
Switchboard worked for me.... sort of. First it didn't
find a name or a business I was looking for. Then
when I tried it again it said I needed to solve a
captcha. But the same searches worked on the other
two sites. (Which is odd. I think whitepages.com and
switchboard.com are the same company.)

I thought 411 and switchboard were the same company! 411 tightened up
on what they gave for free a month or three before swtichboard did.

Yesterday because of this thread, I looked myself up in swtichboard, and
it offers to find neighbors, so today I thought this would make it a
little easier to look up a lot of my neihbors.**.

For one of them, still on switchboard, it went to a captcha requiest on
whitepages.com. So that makes mayayana right about that. The captcha
was easy, a picture of a house number, but it failed and they said that
it was their fault. I went back and tried agaiin, another house number,
and still didn't work. Anyhow that makes Chris right about having to
enter captchas sometimes. Checking, I see t here are ads, but I
barely notice them.

**I'm going away in the spring for a month or two and I might need to
call a neighbor.

My results may vary because I don't enable script,
cookies, 3rd-party ads, or iframes. I just see a very
plain page, with the returns on a similarly plain page.

Since you suggested noscript I've been using it, in Firefox, but an
awful lot of pages won't work for me, and I don't know which script to
permit first. Javascript itself is not listed as a choice.

Plus when I try to display a pdf file in FF nothing at all happens and
there usually are no noscript options to allow anything. I have to go
to SeaMonkey.

Of course I woudl have been happy just to download most pdf files, but
that's no longer offered and the add-on pdf-download which used to work
great 4 years ago doesn't do anything now.

OT - Free phone number look up Mark Lloyd[_12_] Home Repair 0 December 28th 14 07:26 PM
How to reset phone line so that it doesn't withhold the phone number NoSpam UK diy 5 November 17th 11 06:11 PM
BT Phone Number Martin Carroll UK diy 21 November 21st 07 04:48 PM
find out your phone number by dial several numbers on the phone. [email protected] Home Repair 13 November 1st 07 12:19 AM
Freud phone number??? CNT Woodworking 40 May 20th 05 05:31 PM