Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this leak

Am currently in getting my bathroom repaired for leaks due to grouting issues.

We have removed and installed sidings, tyvek, insulation and wonderboard. We finished wonderboard installation a few days back. Post spackling, we let it cure and I see following stains.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33650962@N03/15497416954/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33650962@N03/15933685769/

are these stains, water leaks ? Please advice.

Regards

AT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 10:19 AM, AT wrote:
Am currently in getting my bathroom repaired for leaks due to grouting issues.

We have removed and installed sidings, tyvek, insulation and wonderboard. We finished wonderboard installation a few days back. Post spackling, we let it cure and I see following stains.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33650962@N03/15497416954/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33650962@N03/15933685769/

are these stains, water leaks ? Please advice.

Regards

AT

The sidings wonderboard days removed advice water tyvek?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 10:32:34 AM UTC-5, Fred wrote:
On 12/27/2014 10:19 AM, AT wrote:
Am currently in getting my bathroom repaired for leaks due to grouting issues.

We have removed and installed sidings, tyvek, insulation and wonderboard. We finished wonderboard installation a few days back. Post spackling, we let it cure and I see following stains.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33650962@N03/15497416954/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33650962@N03/15933685769/

are these stains, water leaks ? Please advice.

Regards

AT

The sidings wonderboard days removed advice water tyvek?

Sorry fred didnot quite understand , pls expand
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 10:58 AM, AT wrote:
pls expand

That should be painful.

"pls expand".

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not clear what the photo is of. Is that
a painted wall, and you spackled over the
joint? What has siding and Tyvek got to do
with it? You didn't fully explain what you're
doing.

Based on only the photo I'm guessing you put
joint compound over a joint between an old painted
wall and new concrete board. That's not a good
idea. You'll end up with a joint exposed that's
hard to keep from cracking again, especially
if it's not taped. If you want any hope of it
not recracking you should use mesh tape and
Durabond setting-type compound. But there's
a much better way to do it: Clean the compound
off. Bonding tiles to compound is just sticking
them to chalk, essentially. It's much better to
skip the compound and plan the last tile to
slightly overlap the joint. The tile will then be
stuck well to the concrete board and the unstable
joint will be covered.

The stain is probably nothing to worry about,
but it's hard to know for sure without knowing
more. If you know you've stopped leaks then the
stain will just be something leeching through from
the wallboard.

Also, don't use compound or spackle in the joints
of the concrete board. It defeats the purpose of
the concrete board. If you think you need to fill
the corners, do it with thinset and thick mesh tape.

Ignore Fred. He's just a mean-spirited person giving
you a hard time about your use of English. He's not
offering help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:27:07 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mayayana this truly helps, your understanding is correct, the joint is between old wall and wonderboard, I have used mesh which is not visible in photo. Your advice is very helpful

Just a background, since we had leak in past, we had to replace the Plywood as well, and that meant opening up sidings and replacing tyvek, insulation etc. My concern was, did we ensure that Sidings/Tyvek installation was done properly. It rained pretty heavily three days back. Thereby just checking and getting opinion based on what I saw one day after installation of wonderboard (and it rained the night I installed the wonderboard)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just a background, since we had leak in past, we had to replace the Plywood
as well, and that meant opening up sidings and replacing tyvek, insulation
etc. My concern was, did we ensure that Sidings/Tyvek installation was done
properly. It rained pretty heavily three days back. Thereby just checking
and getting opinion based on what I saw one day after installation of
wonderboard (and it rained the night I installed the wonderboard)

You certainly need to make sure that the leak is
stopped, one way or another, but the stain could
have come from staining in the drywall, due to
the original leak. If you paint over the joint you can
just use some stain sealer paint (after primer) to
deal with that.

I don't have any great ideas about how to confirm
that the leak is fixed, other than to open up the
wall and wait for another rain. Or check on the outside.
You should be able to see whether the siding is done
properly. The Tyvek is a wind barrier. If it's stopping
water then you'll have problems soon. Water shouldn't
be getting that far.
I suppose you could hose down the side of the house
and see if the wall inside gets wet, but that shouldn't
be necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2014 11:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/27/2014 10:58 AM, AT wrote:
pls expand

That should be painful.

"pls expand".

-

D i d T y v e k s i d e o f g r o u t e x p a n d p l s?

Gas leak Lisa Milbrook Home Repair 14 September 24th 12 01:48 PM
Hot tub leak fzbuilder Home Repair 1 December 8th 08 03:48 PM
I've just had a leak :-) The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 4 September 21st 06 10:45 PM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 04:16 AM
possible gas leak jhughes37 Home Repair 13 April 10th 05 05:12 PM