Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE R.O. Water Filter

I installed 3 of the subject GE reverse osmosis water filters about a
year ago. (The model number is PXRQ15RBL). My daughter wanted one
(because she didn't like Los Angeles city water), so I stalled one at
her place. I liked the way it installed easily, so when I returned to
my Ohio well water, I installed an identical model here. Our well
water wasn't bad. There was an occassional slight sulfer odor, but
testing indicated no harmful bacteria. It is also softened.) The
filter seemed to work well, but I found myself also drinking water
from a bar sink in the basement family room. This seemed silly since
I had installed the filter upstairs - so I bought another filter and
installed it at the basement bar sink. That's it for background - now
to my question:

The manual says to replace the "pre" and "post" filter canisters every
6 months. To make the product seem high tech, they even provide a 6
month timer that lights an LED when the 6 months is up. That is all
it is - a timer. It does not measure usage, flow rate, or
contaminates at all. So, how often do I really need to change the
canisters? The filter installed upstairs is used for making coffee,
tea, and meals every day, while the filter at the bar sink is used for
only a few ounces of water no more often than once a week.

I can't imagine why both units need to have their filters changed at
the same time. Do the filters get clogged? (Mine haven't even on the
higher use sink). Do the filters become contaminated with bacteria?
In that case, the lower use one might be worse. (In my case, there
have been no foul odors nor reduced flow). Both LED indicators went
on at 6 months and blinked until the batteries died. I just can't see
spending $80 every 6 months for no reason. Does anyone have any
inside information or real experience regarding these things? How can
I tell when they really need to be changed? Am I being reasonably
frugal or risking my life?

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:58:44 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

This URL indicates: "6 Months or 900 gallons" & "Pre/Post Filter Life
900 Gallons"... Perhaps you can shop for better filter prices? Does
this $80.price also include the Membrane filter?

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PXRQ15RBL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:42:31 -0800, Oren wrote:

[...]

Thanks Oren,
I hadn't seen that 900 gallon figure before. So, should I change them
after 900 gallons or is it "6 months or 900 gallons whichever comes
first"?

The kitchen one will reach 900 gallons in about 2-1/2 years (at about
a gallon per day). However, the basement unit won't use 900 gallons
until the year 2089 since I doubt I use a gallon per month down there.

By the way, I just checked on filter prices. The local Home Depot has
them for $45.99 per pair (the "pre" and "post" filter). Since I have
2 units, That would be $92 every six months if I chose to follow the
blinking LED's advice. Plus, when changing filters, the sanitizing
procedure must be followed. They stress how easy it is to change
filters without any tools (which is true), but the sanitizing
procedure takes hours. I think I will change filters every couple of
years unless I notice the water flow slowing down or any odors.

Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:51:03 -0500, Pat wrote:

[...]

I'd agree with your last sentence. If the unit in the kitchen is
connected to your ice maker, the cubes will / may become "cloudy" when
the filters need changing, I think. It's kind of a judgment call on
your part. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2014 8:58 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

I am not familiar with the RO system, but our well water is filtered
with a particle filter, then a carbon filter. The particle filter is
paper and will disintegrate after about a year. The particle filter was
plumbed backwards by the previous owner, so when the paper disintegrated
it plugged the screens on the washing machine cold water line.

If your filters have any paper in the filter, that will be the reason
for more frequent filter changes.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 13:59:30 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

I am not familiar with the RO system, but our well water is filtered
with a particle filter, then a carbon filter. The particle filter is
paper and will disintegrate after about a year. The particle filter was
plumbed backwards by the previous owner, so when the paper disintegrated
it plugged the screens on the washing machine cold water line.

If your filters have any paper in the filter, that will be the reason
for more frequent filter changes.

I've not seen a paper filter in an RO system and am not familiar with
well water filters.

Aside from the Pre/Post filter, there is a Membrane sediment filter in
the subject unit. Generally, they are ~5-Micron filter (not sure of
the material it is made from).

As I understand, this Micron sediment rated filter is what reduces the
"cooties" in the water. The carbon filter reduces or removes bad taste
or odors. When the micron filter goes bad or clogs, I 'm sure the OP
would see a reduction in water flow at the faucet. Tech support could
help...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm not familiar with home units but RO removes contaminants and
concentrated contaminated water is discharged - usually concentrated
salt water. Problem here is apparently clogging. I've got a whole
house sediment filter for my well and change candle filters every 6
months for only a few dollars each. Filters are like a porous ceramic
or fiber windings around a core. This should prolong the RO units life.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/16/2014 8:58 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

I've used RO filters for years. The recommended filter change intervals
are extremely conservative. The R.O. membrane eventually gets clogged to
the point where production slows significantly. The other stages are
more on volume than time but obviously they are not installing a flow meter.

Same on those refrigerator water filter cartridges. Very conservative
and assuming high volume usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not just review the water usage log that every member of the
family has to update whenever they fill a glass (graduated
beaker, of course) with RO water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
On 12/16/2014 8:58 AM, Pat wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Our under the counter-top installed RO filter system for
drinking/cooking water has paper roll pre-filter GAC(granular carbon
filter carbon block RO membrane polishing filter UV light. For
family of two and a dog, I replace filters once a year, RO membrane once
every two years. RO membrane has different total capacity rating which
dictates replacement interval and GPM flow rate. When I installed it, I
secured a box of filters and dozen RO membrane.

carbon filter for water filter car crash Home Repair 4 November 22nd 06 03:35 PM
Well Water filter Platebanger Home Repair 4 June 10th 05 03:59 PM
Water filter Jack Allen Home Repair 19 March 24th 05 10:34 PM
PUR water filter Jim Home Repair 1 January 2nd 05 08:57 PM
PUR Water Filter Gaby Home Ownership 0 August 12th 04 12:09 AM