Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoke alarms

Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms. I currently have alarms
with a built in light, tho I doubt the light would do any good in a real
fire.

My current smoke alarms have 2-9v each. I see some use just a AA battery.

Not about to have them hard wired in, so that option is out. Looking for
suggestions on decent alarms.

Thx.

Bobby
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:44:53 -0500, "Bobby R."
wrote:

Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms. I currently have alarms
with a built in light, tho I doubt the light would do any good in a real
fire.

My current smoke alarms have 2-9v each. I see some use just a AA battery.

Not about to have them hard wired in, so that option is out. Looking for
suggestions on decent alarms.

Thx.

Bobby

FWIW, I just upgraded mine to a new wireless model. I have one combo
smoke/co on each floor (3) and one smoke only in each bedroom (4).
These run one year+ on 2 AA alkalines. And the interesting part is
that they are all talking to one another wirelessly and they even
talk.
If/when an alarm is triggered they will actually identify the
detection and location (i.e.: carbon monoxide detected in basement .
.. .) Mine are First Alert model SCO500 series. Not too cheap but
pretty much a one-time investment.

Happy searching.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2014 07:43 AM, bobmct wrote:

[...]

Are you sure about your "one-time investment" assertion? Many newer CO
detectors (I'm not sure about the smoke detectors) "expire" after seven
or ten years and cannot be reactivated afterwards.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms.

I saw recently that alarms now come with a sealed lithium battery,
said to last 10 years. Detectors should be replace every ten years.

"...long-life lithium battery that is warranted by the manufacture to
ensure a decade's worth of protection! This effectively translates to
ten years of constant and undisturbed coverage."

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 10:24:34 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

Yeah. That's what it said on the box. I tried unplugging my CO for
the 6 or more months I don't use heat,, and it gives you enough time to
get to another electrical outlet and then it starts screeching.

So I took the batteries out and it was silent, but I still didn't know
if I'd stopped its clock or not.

What do you think, time spent with no AC and no batteries counts against
the N years, or not?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobby R. wrote:
Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms. I currently have alarms
with a built in light, tho I doubt the light would do any good in a real
fire.

My current smoke alarms have 2-9v each. I see some use just a AA battery.

Not about to have them hard wired in, so that option is out. Looking for
suggestions on decent alarms.

Thx.

Bobby

We had an alarm go off a few years ago, and called the Fire Department.
They responded with a lot of equipment and concluded it was a false
alarm, and remarked that the alarm I had was prone to false alarms. I
asked what the best alarms were. They said First Alert smoke detectors,
and a Nighthawk carbon monoxide detector, which is a plug in device.
That was some years ago, and things may have changed, but I think a
company that is making good products now, will probably still be making
good products in ten or twenty years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms.

I saw recently that alarms now come with a sealed lithium battery,
said to last 10 years. Detectors should be replace every ten years.

"...long-life lithium battery that is warranted by the manufacture to
ensure a decade's worth of protection! This effectively translates to
ten years of constant and undisturbed coverage."

YMMV

That's what I got last year. I'll be lucky to be around in 10 years.
Carbon monoxide alarms, unlike smoke alarms, rely on a chemical change
and must be replaced after several years.

Smoke Alarms no-one UK diy 4 November 5th 09 04:45 PM
smoke alarms ronald UK diy 12 July 13th 09 12:45 AM
Smoke Alarms jason UK diy 9 January 13th 06 04:47 PM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM
New Smoke Alarms Matt Home Ownership 11 August 16th 04 11:32 PM