Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Front Door Hardware

I need a new front door, hardware, etc.

Door will probably be of steel, with two pre-drilled cutouts (one for
deadbolt lock, one for handle).

With that in mind, I have some general questions involving lock hardware.

I don't want the cheapest stuff, don't mind paying a little more for
better quality.
I'll be looking for a deadbolt above a Euro-style "lever" handle.

- Suggestions as to brands?
- Should I also get a keyed lever handle (as well as the keyed deadbolt
above)?
- Anything else to pay attention to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:01:44 -0500, John Albert
wrote:

I need a new front door, hardware, etc.

Door will probably be of steel, with two pre-drilled cutouts (one for
deadbolt lock, one for handle).

With that in mind, I have some general questions involving lock hardware.

I don't want the cheapest stuff, don't mind paying a little more for
better quality.
I'll be looking for a deadbolt above a Euro-style "lever" handle.

- Suggestions as to brands?
- Should I also get a keyed lever handle (as well as the keyed deadbolt
above)?
- Anything else to pay attention to?

The door hardware kit may include 3.5" screws, used to secure parts to
the jack studs when driven that deep through the door jamb. The idea
is to "beef" up the latches so they cannot be kicked in as easily. Use
a 3.5" screw at each hinge (center screw) into the jack stud; instead
of 3/4" screws in the door jamb only. Lever or knobs can be twisted
off with a wrench.

A keyed lever is essentially the same as a keyed door knob. I'm pretty
sure you want a keyed dead bolt. g

Visit a local Lock & Safe store that has displays and locksmiths to
help decide on a brand.

You also have the option of biometric locking devices (fingerprint).
Key pads, etc.
--
"I told the commanders, 'If you get a call from the White House, you tell them to go to hell and call me." -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need a new front door, hardware, etc.

Door will probably be of steel, with two pre-drilled cutouts (one for
deadbolt lock, one for handle).

With that in mind, I have some general questions involving lock hardware.

I don't want the cheapest stuff, don't mind paying a little more for
better quality.
I'll be looking for a deadbolt above a Euro-style "lever" handle.

- Suggestions as to brands?
- Should I also get a keyed lever handle (as well as the keyed deadbolt
above)?
- Anything else to pay attention to?

Definitely consider a fiberglass door instead of steel. They don't
dent, they paint well, they look better, they are warmer, They do
command a slight premium price-wise, but in my book, worth every
penny.
Senior Member

John Albert:

Asking what kind of lock to get is a lot like asking what kind of a car to get.

It all depends on what your priorities are.

If you're looking for security, then consider getting a security strike plate on your door frame. Unlike ordinary strike plates that are only 2 1/2 or 3 inches tall, a security strike plate will typically be from 8 to 10 inches tall and made of much thicker steel. You screw that through your door frame into the studs of your exterior wall with 8 three inch long screws, and it would take an enraged mountain gorilla on steroids to kick that door in.

As far as lock security goes, locksets made by the Medeco company are considered to be the most secure because Medeco keys can't be duplicated on a normal key cutting machines like you find in hardware stores. Medeco key teeth are cut at an angle, and only registered locksmiths that sell Medeco have the key cutting machine to duplicate a Medeco key. And, that locksmith will check on Medeco's database to confirm that key profile is registered to you, and he'll ask for ID to confirm you are who you say you are before he'll duplicate that key. So, if you tell a plumber to find a key taped to the underside of your mail box so that he can get in to do some work in your house, you don't have to worry that he'll duplicate the key and come back some other time to help himself to your jewelry.

Here in Winnipeg, the largest hardware wholesaler sells "Baldwin" locks for high end homes simply because they've got a classier appearance and nicer trim. If you're looking for an expensive looking lock, then Baldwin is a good name to check out.

So, if you're concerned about someone kicking in the door, have a security strike plate installed so they have to kick the wall down before the door will open.

If you're concerned about key duplication, which is the fastest, easiest way to get into someone's house, get Medeco lock sets on your front and back doors.

If you want a classy looking lock set for your door, I'd look at Baldwin locksets.

Senior Member

John Albert:

You were asking whether to get a keyed lever handle as well as a keyed deadbolt.

I'd advise against that. I operate a small apartment block in Winnipeg, Manitoba. About 30 years ago, the City passed a Fire Safety Bylaw. That Bylaw required that apartment doors only had ONE locking device. The apartment block could have a lock on the building door(s) and each apartment could only have one locking device on it's entry door. That's because people will panic if they can't open their apartment door in the case of a fire to get their prized possessions out of their apartments. They won't know which of the two locks in preventing them from entering their suite. So, instead of evacuating the building, they'll waste time trying each lock over and over again, not knowing whether they're locking the lock or unlocking it.

So, if you do have two locks, be prepared for your local Fire Department to pay you a visit to tell you to replace one of those locks with a simple Passage Set like you might find on a closet door.

Last edited by nestork : December 8th 14 at 04:56 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2014 2:01 PM, John Albert wrote:
I need a new front door, hardware, etc.

Door will probably be of steel, with two pre-drilled cutouts (one for
deadbolt lock, one for handle).

With that in mind, I have some general questions involving lock hardware.

I don't want the cheapest stuff, don't mind paying a little more for
better quality.
I'll be looking for a deadbolt above a Euro-style "lever" handle.

- Suggestions as to brands?
- Should I also get a keyed lever handle (as well as the keyed deadbolt
above)?
- Anything else to pay attention to?

About 1985, I got my first locksmith job, and
went independent in 1986. I've worked on a lot
of locks.

The new residential Schlage, I think is poor
quality. The commercial grades are excellent.

Kwikset, some of the better gear is OK, avoid
Smartkey, which is unproven technology. Titan
and Ultramax (part of the Kwikset family) are
good.

It's been years since I worked on a Dexter, but
I liked the quality. Arrow is good, also.

On the front door of my own home are a Kwikset
Bel air knob lock, and a Kwikset deadbolt. I've
been very pleased with them in the 20 years I've
been here.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset Kate[_5_] Home Repair 8 May 19th 12 02:23 PM
front / rear door hardware replacement observer Home Repair 2 November 6th 07 12:34 PM
pocket door hardware todd Woodworking 5 September 15th 06 03:49 PM
bifold door hardware to keep door closed Morgan Home Repair 3 May 1st 06 07:37 PM
Loft door hardware Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 25th 03 12:50 AM