Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Camera tech support (not home repair)

This concerns my Canon G1-X

I rarely shoot video and that capability is not of major importance to
me...but I did note that since it formats the memory card as Fat32 there
is a 4 gig files size limit.

I did an experiment and pre-formatted the card as exFAT which has no 4
gig limit and the camera was able to use it just fine.

This morning I dashed off a email to Canon tech support mentioning that...
and just a few minutes ago got a /real/ reply!

For them to respond in a non-robotic way on a weekend was quite
impressive. I was told their Japan headquarters made the FAT32 decision
and wanted to know more about my experience with exFAT and the camera.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:

This concerns my Canon G1-X

I rarely shoot video and that capability is not of major importance to
me...but I did note that since it formats the memory card as Fat32 there
is a 4 gig files size limit.

I did an experiment and pre-formatted the card as exFAT which has no 4
gig limit and the camera was able to use it just fine.

This morning I dashed off a email to Canon tech support mentioning that...
and just a few minutes ago got a /real/ reply!

For them to respond in a non-robotic way on a weekend was quite
impressive. I was told their Japan headquarters made the FAT32 decision
and wanted to know more about my experience with exFAT and the camera.

Hi,
I believe you formatted the card off the camera on PC?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2014 06:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:

This concerns my Canon G1-X

I rarely shoot video and that capability is not of major importance to
me...but I did note that since it formats the memory card as Fat32 there
is a 4 gig files size limit.

I did an experiment and pre-formatted the card as exFAT which has no 4
gig limit and the camera was able to use it just fine.

This morning I dashed off a email to Canon tech support mentioning
that...
and just a few minutes ago got a /real/ reply!

For them to respond in a non-robotic way on a weekend was quite
impressive. I was told their Japan headquarters made the FAT32 decision
and wanted to know more about my experience with exFAT and the camera.

Hi,
I believe you formatted the card off the camera on PC?

Yes, Windows XP and up have the ability to format a drive as exFAT

I never used exFAT before but recently need to transfer a data file (via
USB stick) over 4 gigs to a Windows machine , a Linux machine and also a
Mac.

exFAT was recognized by all with no problems
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:

[...]

Canon may have to update firmwares so we can format on camera.
I have a Canon Power Shot SX10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2014 06:56 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yes, Windows XP and up have the ability to format a drive as exFAT

I never used exFAT before but recently need to transfer a data file (via
USB stick) over 4 gigs to a Windows machine , a Linux machine and also a
Mac.

exFAT was recognized by all with no problems

Hi,
Canon may have to update firmwares so we can format on camera.
I have a Canon Power Shot SX10.

If Canon would take my suggestion and want to use exFAT, then yes, they
would have to issue a firmware update to give their cameras such ability.

Just because I gave a major corporation a suggestion is hardly reason
for me to think they will actually take it.

Their philosophy might simply be that any serious producer of videos
should simply get a camera specifically designed to do so.

OT How useless is tech support these days.. woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 68 April 30th 14 10:18 PM
Tech support. Ian Field Electronic Schematics 0 September 5th 11 09:49 PM
Parts Id, Schematics & Tech Support Donna[_3_] Electronics Repair 0 November 3rd 08 04:14 PM
Tech Support Cliff Metalworking 4 February 10th 06 12:12 AM
biz tech support links [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 August 5th 05 07:38 PM