Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compressor trouble shooting

Got a 12 gal Sears oilless compressor from a
friend of mine. And the compressor continues
to give me trouble.

It starts cold, runs up pressure and then
won't restart. I asked friend for help. He
tried it, a couple times, the unloader is
a bit balky. Just cycle it.

Still no joy. He replaced the unloader valve,
which was really above and beyond the needs of
friendship.

Tonight I went to use it, first time after the
unloader replacement. Starts cold, and ran up
to 120 PSI. I figured I only needed 100 for the
job, pressurizing a water fire extinguisher.

I could hear the unloader hiss when it satisfied.
But the compressor won't restart, even if I bleed
it down to zero. Gives me a burning smell that
makes me want to open the door and let the stink
out.

It's not near a power socket I can reach, so I've
got it plugged into a 16 ga cord, into a socket.
Says it draws 16 amps. I'm wondering if it's not
getting enough voltage (have to check next time).
Or if the motor and piston need lubrication.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot? I sure can use a
compressor in the summer for air tools. If it
worked....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:54:26 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

I thought you were unable to shoot the compressor because you were a
lousy shot. I was going to suggest target practice, but never mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2014 9:06 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:54:26 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Any ideas how to troubleshoot? I sure can use a
compressor in the summer for air tools. If it
worked....

I thought you were unable to shoot the compressor because you were a
lousy shot. I was going to suggest target practice, but never mind.

How'd you know? I am a lousy shot. One of the
reasons I turned out like I did.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Plug it into the wall, or use a decent HEAVY DUTY extension cord. Trying to
start motors through tiny extension cords is a great way to destroy them.

Senior Member

I woulda though that if it was a bad start capacitor then it wouldn't start the first time either.

Do you have an infra red thermometer? I'm wondering if the problem is that the piston is expanding in the cylinder and causing excessive friction until the piston and cylinder cool down. Once everything cools down again, if it seems to work properly only until the piston heats up again, that may be the issue. If you can measure the temperature of the cylinder you may be able to compare that with similar oilless compressors that are working properly.

But definitely, when using a compressor and air tools, it's best to keep the extension cord to the compressor as short as possible and get the compressed air to where it's needed with a longer air line instead.

Last edited by nestork : November 21st 14 at 06:46 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a similar compressor and it really needs the full 120v to start
reliably. Extension cords are an "iffy" thing.
Of course you could just have a bad start capacitor or a bad
centrifugal switch.
I would drag it over to a known good receptacle to break the tie but
don't screw around with this. Smoking is not a good thing. If it
doesn't start right away, turn it off.

+1

I'd never use a 16g extension cord on that size motor load.
Also, how long is the extension? I have an electric power washer
that a friend gave me and I always had problems with it tripping
the breaker, over heating and shutting off, etc. Until I finally
bought a 10g extension cord. Works fine ever since. If it's at the
point it's making burning smells, it may be kaput.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2014 12:49 AM, Bob F wrote:
Plug it into the wall, or use a decent HEAVY DUTY extension cord. Trying to
start motors through tiny extension cords is a great way to destroy them.

Thanks, will do.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2014 1:43 AM, nestork wrote:
I woulda though that if it was a bad start capacitor then it wouldn't
start the first time either.

Do you have an infra red thermometer? I'm wondering if the problem is
that the piston is expanding in the cylinder and causing excessive
friction until the piston and cylinder cool down. Once everything cools
down again, if it seems to work properly only until the piston heats up
again, that may be the issue. If you can measure the temperature of the
cylinder you may be able to compare that with similar oilless
compressors that are working properly.

But definitely, when using a compressor and air tools, it's best to keep
the extension cord to the compressor as short as possible and get the
compressed air to where it's needed with a longer air line instead.

I've had a couple people go with "needs more power"
opinion, so I'll try that next. See if I can get
the compressor close enough to put it directly into
the wall socket, and take the 50 foot 16 gauge cord
out of the picture.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2014 7:01 AM, trader_4 wrote:
I'd never use a 16g extension cord on that size motor load.
Also, how long is the extension? I have an electric power washer
that a friend gave me and I always had problems with it tripping
the breaker, over heating and shutting off, etc. Until I finally
bought a 10g extension cord. Works fine ever since. If it's at the
point it's making burning smells, it may be kaput.

Hope I didn't kaput it over some thing as simple
as this.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

..
Of course you could just have a bad start capacitor or a bad
centrifugal switch.

+1

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

50 foot 16 gauge?????? No wonder you have problems!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/21/2014 12:49 AM, Bob F wrote:
Plug it into the wall, or use a decent HEAVY DUTY extension cord.
Trying to
start motors through tiny extension cords is a great way to destroy them.

Thanks, will do.

Hi,
OP said it starts and won't restart when air is used(pressure drop)
Then wouldn't it be proper to check the pressure sensor triggered switch?
My bigger unit works that way. I have two gauges, one for max. pressure,
one for working pressure regulator knob. As I use the air, dropping
pressure triggers sensor switch to restart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2014 11:16 AM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
the wall socket, and take the 50 foot 16 gauge cord
out of the picture.

50 foot 16 gauge?????? No wonder you have problems!

sob I've had to come out of the closet.
I have a long, thin extension cord.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
the wall socket, and take the 50 foot 16 gauge cord
out of the picture.

50 foot 16 gauge?????? No wonder you have problems!

sob I've had to come out of the closet.
I have a long, thin extension cord.

Aw, the extension cord is fine! You just need to add a clutch and stick
shift. Get a transmission with reverse so you can use it as a vacuum
cleaner, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hit yourself up-side the head with a hammer, a good whack, the
compressor won't be a problem anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:33:31 -0500, J Burns
wrote:

I have a long, thin extension cord.

Aw, the extension cord is fine! You just need to add a clutch and stick
shift. Get a transmission with reverse so you can use it as a vacuum
cleaner, too.

Connect two transmissions at the yoke/shaft, you can get eight speeds.

(swamp)

http://mediaassets.naplesnews.com/photo/2014/06/01/100307SP-LS-SwampBuggy05_5692259_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/mu5k4av
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2014 3:33 PM, J Burns wrote:
50 foot 16 gauge?????? No wonder you have problems!

Aw, the extension cord is fine! You just need to add a clutch and stick
shift. Get a transmission with reverse so you can use it as a vacuum
cleaner, too.

I'm so pleased to hear that the cord is OK.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2014 3:52 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:54:26 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Any ideas how to troubleshoot? I sure can use a
compressor in the summer for air tools. If it
worked....

Hit yourself up-side the head with a hammer, a good whack, the
compressor won't be a problem anymore.

Is it OK if I drink a twelve pack of
beer instead?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

He's been told that several times but did it make a difference? That is for
you and the other posters to answer. I can't figure out whether Stumped is
stoop ed or a troll. That is another decision that has to be made. I feel
sorry for people looking for help and follow his blatherings. "I read it on
the Interweb so it must be rite"

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:23:36 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Any ideas how to troubleshoot? I sure can use a
compressor in the summer for air tools. If it
worked....

Hit yourself up-side the head with a hammer, a good whack, the
compressor won't be a problem anymore.

He's been told that several times but did it make a difference? That is for
you and the other posters to answer. I can't figure out whether Stumped is
stoop ed or a troll. That is another decision that has to be made. I feel
sorry for people looking for help and follow his blatherings. "I read it on
the Interweb so it must be rite"

- You Yankees entertain me .... :-\