Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compressor trouble shooting

On 11/20/2014 9:05 PM, wrote:
I have a similar compressor and it really needs the full 120v to start
reliably. Extension cords are an "iffy" thing.
Of course you could just have a bad start capacitor or a bad
centrifugal switch.
I would drag it over to a known good receptacle to break the tie but
don't screw around with this. Smoking is not a good thing. If it
doesn't start right away, turn it off.

Motor start cap. I'd not thought of that.

Maybe in the morning, I'll see if there
is a start cap.

And put on a new plug to replace the corroded
one. And try it direct to the socket.

Thank you. And yes, smoking is not good.
That's why I pulled the plug. Friends don't
let compressors smoke.

-
..
Christopher A. Young