Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas grill won't light

I did some work on my gas grill. (Like replacing a know and the electronic lighter.)

But it will not light.

The L.P. is full and the piezo lighter is working.

I tried to also light it with a lighter.

It looks like the L.P. is not making it to the burner.

It is a Brinkman 4 burner grill.

What else can I check ?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2014 12:35 AM, Andy wrote:
I did some work on my gas grill. (Like replacing a know and the electronic lighter.)

But it will not light.

The L.P. is full and the piezo lighter is working.

I tried to also light it with a lighter.

It looks like the L.P. is not making it to the burner.

It is a Brinkman 4 burner grill.

What else can I check ?

Thanks.

Could be the tank. They have an internal device to prevent overpressure
and leaks and they can be a PITA at times.

Turn the tan off and let it sit for a minute or two. Be sure all burner
knobs are off. Then very slowly open the valve about a full turn. Now
open a burner valve and try lighting the grill.

One the fuel level is down a bit you won't have the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2014 12:35 AM, Andy wrote:
I did some work on my gas grill. (Like replacing a know and the electronic lighter.)

But it will not light.

The L.P. is full and the piezo lighter is working.

I tried to also light it with a lighter.

It looks like the L.P. is not making it to the burner.

It is a Brinkman 4 burner grill.

What else can I check ?

Thanks.

Spiders nest in the orifice.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:35:44 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I did some work on my gas grill. (Like replacing a know and the electronic lighter.)

But it will not light.

The L.P. is full and the piezo lighter is working.

I tried to also light it with a lighter.

It looks like the L.P. is not making it to the burner.

It is a Brinkman 4 burner grill.

What else can I check ?

Thanks.

The valve /parts in the tank can be bad?? I guess it happen to me,
the replacement tank worked for a few days and then stopped. I
returned the tank to the store and they gave me a free exchange.
Things worked again.

A bad regulator? Did you bump the igniter so the spark is not aligned
correctly? Kinked regulator hose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I did some work on my gas grill. (Like replacing a know and the electronic lighter.)

But it will not light.

The L.P. is full and the piezo lighter is working.

I tried to also light it with a lighter.

It looks like the L.P. is not making it to the burner.

It is a Brinkman 4 burner grill.

What else can I check ?

Thanks.

The valve /parts in the tank can be bad?? I guess it happen to me,
the replacement tank worked for a few days and then stopped. I
returned the tank to the store and they gave me a free exchange.
Things worked again.

A bad regulator? Did you bump the igniter so the spark is not aligned
correctly? Kinked regulator hose?

I think the problem has to do with the tank.

When I disconnected the hose, it could hear some propane leaking out.

Disconnected from the hose, when I turned the tank all the way on, there was no gas coming out ??

Also if it tipped cold the safety overfill device could be accidently locked off it will stop any movement in or out of tank. Try different tank or try
dropping tank hard onto its base from about waist high on a firm but giving
surface like wet beach sand etc. not hard concrete or soft fluffy grass.

I tried dropping it on the dirt, but no change. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is because the new safety valves will not let that happen. You need a
receptacle put into the orifice correctly to get flow.

Now that you have taken it apart, put it back together and see if it works.
I have done that a couple of times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2014 9:10 PM, Andy wrote:

A bad regulator? Did you bump the igniter so the spark is not aligned
correctly? Kinked regulator hose?

I think the problem has to do with the tank.

When I disconnected the hose, it could hear some propane leaking out.

Disconnected from the hose, when I turned the tank all the way on, there was no gas coming out ??

The new tanks with the triangle handle, they won't
release gas, unless there is an appliance on it.
I'm not totally sure how that works, but it's a
safety feature.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:23:16 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/19/2014 9:10 PM, Andy wrote:

A bad regulator? Did you bump the igniter so the spark is not aligned
correctly? Kinked regulator hose?

I think the problem has to do with the tank.

When I disconnected the hose, it could hear some propane leaking out.

Disconnected from the hose, when I turned the tank all the way on, there was no gas coming out ??

The new tanks with the triangle handle, they won't
release gas, unless there is an appliance on it.
I'm not totally sure how that works, but it's a
safety feature.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I loosened the purge screw.

It vented propane. I am surprised that it was cold, I think all gases are cold when expanding from a compressed state.

Whenever I take off the connection to the tank, it vents gas.

That tells me that there is nothing wrong with the tank.

I am sure that the regulator is bad.
They are less than $20.

Old one is 4 years old +.

I saw warranties on regulators of only a year.
_________________
Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:46:04 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:

I am sure that the regulator is bad.
They are less than $20.

Old one is 4 years old +.

I saw warranties on regulators of only a year.
_________________
Thanks,
Andy

I've had the same difficulty about 4 times...
How to reset the gas regulator safety device:

Open the grill lid.
Turn off all knobs on the control panel in front.
Turn off the tank knob. ...
Wait 30 seconds. ...
Slowly open the LP tank knob all the way open. ...
Turn on the appropriate control knob and light the grill per the instructions on the control panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd try another tank (spare) to check that or put the tank on another
fixture (turkey fryer, etc.). Or try the tank at the good neighbor's
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 06:46:00 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I am surprised that it was cold, I think all gases are cold when expanding from a compressed state.

Physics 101.

Edward

Elec-Tech Grill Best Grill? Keith Stelter[_2_] Home Repair 2 August 8th 19 10:44 PM
Grill Jeff Thies Home Repair 7 March 12th 11 03:11 AM
Belling Grill - grill door/hinge removal Flop UK diy 0 August 14th 07 08:26 PM
Gas grill Brian Home Repair 0 April 25th 07 05:36 AM
Gas Grill - What to Buy Phil Home Repair 9 March 25th 05 04:59 AM