Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do LED bulbs get along with lighted switches?

Hi All,

Anyone know if those new LED bulbs get along with
Neon bulb lighted light switches? Do the LED's
twinkle dimly like stars. (My Christmas LED
lights twinkle dimly -- kind of like it. Doesn't
seem to hurt anything.)

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2014 12:37 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know if those new LED bulbs get along with
Neon bulb lighted light switches? Do the LED's
twinkle dimly like stars. (My Christmas LED
lights twinkle dimly -- kind of like it. Doesn't
seem to hurt anything.)

Many thanks,
-T

Works OK with the light over my vanity in the bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:37:36 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know if those new LED bulbs get along with
Neon bulb lighted light switches? Do the LED's
twinkle dimly like stars. (My Christmas LED
lights twinkle dimly -- kind of like it. Doesn't
seem to hurt anything.)

Many thanks,
-T

I have one (older, Utilitech) LED and two CFLs over the sink in my bathroom, and the neon-lighted switch seems to be OK with it.

This reminds me, there were some really inexpensive LED round bathroom lights at Costco, I wonder if they're any good? I really hate CFLs...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2014 10:03 AM, N8N wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:37:36 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know if those new LED bulbs get along with
Neon bulb lighted light switches? Do the LED's
twinkle dimly like stars. (My Christmas LED
lights twinkle dimly -- kind of like it. Doesn't
seem to hurt anything.)

Many thanks,
-T

I have one (older, Utilitech) LED and two CFLs over the sink in my bathroom, and the neon-lighted switch seems to be OK with it.

I don't believe that the lighted switches (be they neon, LED, or grain
of wheat bulb illuminated) would enter into the circuit at all. Maybe
they would if it was a three-way switch - not sure.

About the only thing that seems to conflict with alternative light
sources are dimmers and, I think, some timer switches.

I'd love to switch to either LEDs or CFLs if only I could find one whose
light output matches those of the standard warm white bulbs.

I can tolerate some variance from that color temperature but SWMBO is
adamant and we all know that "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody... g

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd love to switch to either LEDs or CFLs if only I could find one whose
light output matches those of the standard warm white bulbs.

I can tolerate some variance from that color temperature but SWMBO is
adamant and we all know that "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody... g

I think you'll like some of the better brands of LED.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2014 10:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd love to switch to either LEDs or CFLs if only I could find one whose
light output matches those of the standard warm white bulbs.

I can tolerate some variance from that color temperature but SWMBO is
adamant and we all know that "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody... g

I think you'll like some of the better brands of LED.

I agree, Ed. Unfortunately, SWMBO managed to stock up on incandescent
bulbs once the handwriting was on the walls. We have a decent stock and
she's just stubborn enough to hold out as long as she can which,
unfortunately, may be too long for me.

OTOH, my shop, my rules, etc. I've experimented with some of the better
CFLs and have reasonably good experiences with them.

As you say, there seem to be a lot more acceptable LEDs out there at
this stage of the game than there ever were CFLs. I know, different
technology, etc. but when you see what a game changer CREE LEDs have
been, you gotta sit up and take notice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2014 10:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd love to switch to either LEDs or CFLs if only I could find one whose
light output matches those of the standard warm white bulbs.

I can tolerate some variance from that color temperature but SWMBO is
adamant and we all know that "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody... g

I think you'll like some of the better brands of LED.

I agree, Ed. Unfortunately, SWMBO managed to stock up on incandescent
bulbs once the handwriting was on the walls. We have a decent stock and
she's just stubborn enough to hold out as long as she can which,
unfortunately, may be too long for me.

It was tempting to stock up but I'm glad I didn't. I found some good CFL
and now I'm finding better LED.

Take a look around you. Is there a light that is on many hours of the
day? If so, you can justify taking that bulb out and replacing it with
an energy saving LED. Use the old incans for the seldom used lights.
Makes no sense to swap out the bulb in the spare bedroom that is on an
hour a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 31, 2014 8:38:46 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 10/31/2014 10:03 AM, N8N wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:37:36 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know if those new LED bulbs get along with
Neon bulb lighted light switches? Do the LED's
twinkle dimly like stars. (My Christmas LED
lights twinkle dimly -- kind of like it. Doesn't
seem to hurt anything.)

Many thanks,
-T

I have one (older, Utilitech) LED and two CFLs over the sink in my bathroom, and the neon-lighted switch seems to be OK with it.

I don't believe that the lighted switches (be they neon, LED, or grain
of wheat bulb illuminated) would enter into the circuit at all. Maybe
they would if it was a three-way switch - not sure.

They enter into the circuit because the lighted switches rely on
using the load to complete the circuit for the light. They typically
don't have a separate neutral connection. That's why
they won't work with some very low current loads, eg CFL lights. I wouldn't
be surprised if they don't work with some LEDs either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd love to switch to either LEDs or CFLs if only I could find one whose
light output matches those of the standard warm white bulbs.

I can tolerate some variance from that color temperature but SWMBO is
adamant and we all know that "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody... g

I think you'll like some of the better brands of LED.

Hi,
LED is practically running cold(no heat source) and energy use is lot
less. I am all for LED now mixing warm white and day light ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It's possible that they may not work as older neon lighted switches (and electronic timers etc.) did not have a neutral connection but relied on a small amount of current passing through the filament(s) of the bulb(s) to work.. If there's a neutral connection on the switch, no problem.

This I assume is the reason for the change to the NEC requiring that neutrals be present in switch legs even if not used.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

See if you can find some of the Cree True White "bulbs" (the 2700K ones) I would have previously recommended the Philips L-Prize but sadly they've been discontinued. I haven't tried the Cree TWs myself but they are a true high CRI bulb.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2014 8:51 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, October 31, 2014 8:38:46 PM

I have one (older, Utilitech) LED and two CFLs over the sink in my bathroom, and the neon-lighted switch seems to be OK with it.

I don't believe that the lighted switches (be they neon, LED, or grain
of wheat bulb illuminated) would enter into the circuit at all. Maybe
they would if it was a three-way switch - not sure.

They enter into the circuit because the lighted switches rely on
using the load to complete the circuit for the light. They typically
don't have a separate neutral connection. That's why
they won't work with some very low current loads, eg CFL lights. I wouldn't
be surprised if they don't work with some LEDs either.

I'll be damned. I learned something new for today so I guess I can
relax and enjoy the rest of the day.

I never knew that but just checked and you are absolutely right. I
always thought that it was positional thing, like maybe a mercury switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/01/2014 10:48 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Hi,
LED is practically running cold(no heat source) and energy use is lot
less. I am all for LED now mixing warm white and day light ones.

A LED itself itself won't emit heat. The required series resistor (or
electronic power supply) will.

--
54 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"This is not a dress rehearsal. This is the only world you will ever
know and this is the only life you will ever have. Seize the Day."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 11/01/2014 10:48 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
A LED itself itself won't emit heat. The required series resistor (or
electronic power supply) will.

The LED will produce heat. However many watts the actual LED is rated for
will be the heat produced. They just don't normally produce as much heat per
lum as other light sources. The resistor or other devices used to control
the current/voltage to the LED element will add to that heat.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Unquestionably Confused writes:

On 10/31/2014 10:03 AM, N8N wrote:
On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:37:36 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone know if those new LED bulbs get along with
Neon bulb lighted light switches? Do the LED's
twinkle dimly like stars. (My Christmas LED
lights twinkle dimly -- kind of like it. Doesn't
seem to hurt anything.)

Many thanks,
-T

I have one (older, Utilitech) LED and two CFLs over the sink in my bathroom, and the neon-lighted switch seems to be OK with it.

I don't believe that the lighted switches (be they neon, LED, or grain
of wheat bulb illuminated) would enter into the circuit at all. Maybe
they would if it was a three-way switch - not sure.

Short answer: Yes, they work (or at least all the ones I've tried)
out ok.

Longer answer [a]: The "lighted switch" is a combination of two
levels of magic. One is apparently some internal capacitance,
and one is a combo of additional capacitance and very slight
curent flow through the wiring and the lamp (lightbulb)
in the circuit.

You'll see what I mean if you have one of these attached
to an incandescent lamp. Turn it off... and note how
bright the switch is. Now unscrew the lamp and (in
most cases) the switch will still be lit, but at a
lower intensity.

[a] I'm sure if I looked around I'd find a circuit diagram...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 11/01/2014 10:48 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
A LED itself itself won't emit heat. The required series resistor (or
electronic power supply) will.

The LED will produce heat. However many watts the actual LED is rated for
will be the heat produced. They just don't normally produce as much heat per
lum as other light sources. The resistor or other devices used to control
the current/voltage to the LED element will add to that heat.

Resistors are often used to limit current, but switching regulators are
also common. Th switchers are efficient compared to resistors. The rated
watts is the power input to the led. Most of that is heat. I worked on 5
watt leds a few years ago. I put 9 on a heatsink, closely spaced grid. To
get maximum heat removal, I used thermal paste imbedded with diamond dust,
on a copper spacer, attached to a thermoelectric plate, attached to an
aluminum fan cooled heatsink. That was probably putting out a total of 60
wAtts, at least.

LEDs must be kept close to room temp if you intend to get anywher near the
projected maximum life. Most lamps run too hot, so they will fail early,
probably closer to 10-20 k hours.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd love to switch to either LEDs or CFLs if only I could find one whose
light output matches those of the standard warm white bulbs.

I can tolerate some variance from that color temperature but SWMBO is
adamant and we all know that "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody... g

I think you'll like some of the better brands of LED.

I look recently at the home depot. Some 40 &60 watts equivalents for $9 .
Circular looking types, screw base. I bought a fixture with fixed LEDs for
my kitchen sink. Paid $30 still need to install. Daylight looking color
temp.

Greg