Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 40W LED bulbs 2 for $7 at Staples

Bought a couple of "Brighton Professional" LED bulbs A19 shape/E26 base from
Staples yesterday and so far, so good. Color temp appears pretty close to a
normal incandescent (box sames "warm white") and it fits in all the places a
normal incandescent can go.

The warranty is only for one year and to fulfill it you have to call
1-800-425-0049 to get an RMA and ship the bulbs somewhere (apparently) and
not return them to the store, or so it seems. If mine do fail within a
year, I certainly WILL take them to the store first and raise a ruckus about
paying to ship them to some unknown dead bulb depot.

The package alleges 500 lumens and a 13.6 year life running 3 hours a day.
The bulbs are pretty warm around the conical metal shield at the base. I
wouldn't expect them to last that long in normal use because of the heat.
They do appear to consume only 6 watts (5 according to my Kill-o-Watt meter)
so I think I'll test one running it 24 by 7 to see if it does fail within
the rather skimpy 1 year warranty period. If 3 hrs a day = 13.6 years then
24 hours a day should be 1/8 of that predicted life span or less. At
constant use it should last 1.7 years if my math is correct (seldom is,
though).

Non dimmable (confirmed!) but glass dome runs cool to the touch. I will be
replacing a number of 13W CFLs around the house as those become dim and slow
to start up (my big complaint with the nVision bulbs HomeDepot sells as well
as other CFL's I've bought - especially the 23W - 100W equivalent ones). I
might use them in some ceiling fixtures I've adapted with Y socket splitters
providing the total heat output of four bulbs isn't too much for passively
cooled glass overhead fixtures.

Says they are suitable for damp locations but not "totally" enclosed
fixtures. Bright enough to read the very tiny print on the package, FWIW.
I think I'll go back and get a couple of extra packs tomorrow because I have
yet to see LED bulbs anywhere as low as $3.50 each. Would prefer something
brighter but there are plenty of places around where a 40W equivalent will
do, especially if they don't lose a full F-stop worth of light after a few
months of operation the way some CFLs do. )-:

The ETL logo on the bottom of the package says Intertek 4008636 and the UPC
code is 718103205528, FWIW.

It's hard to believe that much light comes out of a bulb that uses the same
amount of electricity as one of those tiny nightlight incandescent bulbs.
Maybe those blue LED inventors *did* deserve the Nobel.

--
Bobby G.

In 2012, will I be able to order round light bulbs from Canada orsome other foreign country or will they be illegally manufactruing roundlight bulbs and selling them on the internet? Chris Tsao Home Repair 19 March 12th 11 04:09 AM
Staples Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 May 4th 09 11:03 AM
Excellent deal on Landscape Bulbs and Security Bulbs [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 1 November 1st 08 02:06 AM
U staples Eigenvector Home Repair 5 June 16th 06 10:14 PM
Where to get staples [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 3rd 05 11:15 AM