Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Heat output of oil lamp

On Monday, October 27, 2014 5:52:23 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In cowboy movies, sometimes they turn the flame down very low when they

go to sleep and then turn it up again the next morning.

Can the flame really be low enough that it doesn't burn a significant
amount of kerosene during a whole 8-hour night?

Absolutely. I would guess my lamp on low would burn for days if not weeks. I'll test it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 08:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

On Monday, October 27, 2014 5:52:23 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In cowboy movies, sometimes they turn the flame down very low when they

go to sleep and then turn it up again the next morning.

Can the flame really be low enough that it doesn't burn a significant
amount of kerosene during a whole 8-hour night?

Absolutely. I would guess my lamp on low would burn for days if not weeks.

Good to hear. Cowboy movies and other westerns are my biggest source
of info about American from 1865 to 1898.

I'll test it out.