Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED flashlight report for home repair

I was in Walmart, today and had a weak moment.
The 10 LED lantern by Rayovac was whimpering
and begging to be taken home.

The price scanner was not working. Found
a Waldroid, who had to go get a 18 or so year old
teen age waldroid, who was able to get out of
the wrong screen and get back to price check.
Price is $5.48; I figure three dollar light with
three dollar battery. Not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Bright.../dp/B00C1UXCX4

Amazon wants more than that money. About double.

I took it out, slit just enough plastic to expose
the spring terminals. Put the provided square 6 volt
heavy duty battery in.

The light is slightly blue, no surprise. Bright enough
to shine a spot on the parking lot. Home, the light
is plenty enough to shine into a tree. I'd have seen if
there was a racoon up there. I could light up the side
yard, if there was a person there.

Inside, the light got me down the dark hall. Shine at
ceiling, and it's brighter than my two watt LED night
light. Meter says it draws .350 amps, which is lower
than a standard PR12 bulb of .500 amp. Will battery last
ten times longer? I doubt it. I may try some day for fun.

I spent considerable time on the Rayovac web site, they
don't give the amp hour capacity or run time of the
batteries they sell.

Nerds like me need that info.

Overall, I like the light. I don't have any specific
use, but next power cut and it will light up an entire
room if shined on white ceiling.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/14, 8:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

In 1980, I wrote to Rayovac asking information about their NiCds. The
lady sent a book with 122 8-1/2 x 11 pages of technical data about all
their batteries. I still refer to it.

Alkaline batteries don't really have amp hours. You can estimate the
service hours if you know the amperage, duty cycle, and cutoff voltage.

Flashlights used to be a big hobby of mine, but now I have a Fenix
headlamp that runs on 1 AA cell and gives more lumens than your lantern.
On high, it will light a wall 500 feet away. I usually run it at half
the lumens of the lantern because that's plenty, and I get 5 hours from
a cell.

Eneloops make it possible. They're capable of more amperage than AA
cells of the past, and they'll hold a charge for years. Counting
electricity and battery depreciation, I pay less than a penny a charge.

The advantage to a single AA cell design is that it's easy to keep a
spare on my pocket, and I can change batteries in pitch dark while
holding an umbrella in my other hand. It's easy to keep several charged
Eneloops on hand in case of a power failure, and I know how many hours
of light they represent.

A headlamp puts light where I need it with no hands. (I have
occasionally pointed it at the ceiling for diffuse light.) I've used it
about 10 times a day for 18 months. At one point I had switch trouble.
Contact cleaner fixed it. Otherwise, it has been flawless.

A headlamp is easy to keep handy, on my head, around my neck, in my
pocket, or in arm's reach. I regretted buying black because yellow is
easier to spot. I put a pink tape on mine.

I should be reported to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Flashlights for the way I've been neglecting all my pet hand-held lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Overall, I like the light. I don't have any specific
use, but next power cut and it will light up an entire
room if shined on white ceiling.

Wait until a moonless night, go outside and use it to signal alien
spacecraft. Be sure to have a camera too so that this controversy can be
settled once and for all

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2014 7:29 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Overall, I like the light. I don't have any specific
use, but next power cut and it will light up an entire
room if shined on white ceiling.

Wait until a moonless night, go outside and use it to signal alien
spacecraft. Be sure to have a camera too so that this controversy can
be settled once and for all

Oh, I did that last week. But, the radiation from
the space craft wiped out my memory card in the
camera.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
J Burns typed:
On 9/27/14, 8:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I was in Walmart, today and had a weak moment.
The 10 LED lantern by Rayovac was whimpering
and begging to be taken home.
. . . ,
http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Bright.../dp/B00C1UXCX4

Flashlights used to be a big hobby of mine, but now I have a Fenix
headlamp that runs on 1 AA cell and gives more lumens than your
lantern. On high, it will light a wall 500 feet away. I usually run
it at half the lumens of the lantern because that's plenty, and I get
5 hours from a cell.

Eneloops make it possible. They're capable of more amperage than AA
cells of the past, and they'll hold a charge for years. . . . ,

Interesting. Of course, I had to look up "eneloops" since I never heard of
them. At first, I thought it was a typo. Now I know it is a type of
rechargeable battery.

A headlamp is easy to keep handy, on my head, around my neck, in my
pocket, or in arm's reach. I regretted buying black because yellow is
easier to spot. . . . ,

I could definitely use this type of headlamp for a lot of applications, so
I'll be checking out places to buy them to see what they cost etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:02:18 -0400, TomR wrote:

In ,
J Burns typed:

I could definitely use this type of headlamp for a lot of applications,
so I'll be checking out places to buy them to see what they cost etc.

Costco has eneloops, at least they did last time I checked.

Thane

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2014 10:02 AM, TomR wrote:
A headlamp is easy to keep handy, on my head, around my neck, in my
pocket, or in arm's reach. I regretted buying black because yellow is
easier to spot. . . . ,

I could definitely use this type of headlamp for a lot of applications, so
I'll be checking out places to buy them to see what they cost etc.

Harbor Freight has a black and yellow headlamp
that take two AA cells. I know that if I remove
the bulb and reflector, a mini mag bulb conversion
(such as Nite Ize) works nicely. LED and two AA
cells, good combination.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Thane writes:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:02:18 -0400, TomR wrote:

In ,
J Burns typed:

I could definitely use this type of headlamp for a lot of applications,
so I'll be checking out places to buy them to see what they cost etc.

Costco has eneloops, at least they did last time I checked.

Still did last week. Note that they're now branded
as Panasonic and no longer Sanyo. Don't know if that
was a corporate buyup, merger, etc...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you are looking for any type of LED flashlight Google T Mart. They have
all kinds and no shipping. I have bought several things from them. WW
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/14, 2:17 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Thane writes:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:02:18 -0400, TomR wrote:

In ,
J Burns typed:

I could definitely use this type of headlamp for a lot of applications,
so I'll be checking out places to buy them to see what they cost etc.

Costco has eneloops, at least they did last time I checked.

Still did last week. Note that they're now branded
as Panasonic and no longer Sanyo. Don't know if that
was a corporate buyup, merger, etc...

Eneloops were so good that Panasonic paid Sanyo for a license to make
them. Then Panasonic bought Sanyo. Part of the improvement came from
technology to make them of purer materials than conventional NiMH cells.
That means higher current capability, lower self-discharge, and more
years of service.

The last time I checked, Eneloop AAs were avaialable with 2 capacities:
2000 mah and 2500 mah, as I recall. I bought the 2000 mah because the
specs say they're designed for a lot more charge cycles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/14, 2:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/28/2014 10:02 AM, TomR wrote:
A headlamp is easy to keep handy, on my head, around my neck, in my
pocket, or in arm's reach. I regretted buying black because yellow is
easier to spot. . . . ,

I could definitely use this type of headlamp for a lot of
applications, so
I'll be checking out places to buy them to see what they cost etc.

Harbor Freight has a black and yellow headlamp
that take two AA cells. I know that if I remove
the bulb and reflector, a mini mag bulb conversion
(such as Nite Ize) works nicely. LED and two AA
cells, good combination.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

In the past, I had a couple of headlamps that weren't very good. On was
an Everready with 5 LEDs. The other was a Princeton Tec Fuel with 3
LEDs. They didn't provide as much light, didn't last, and didn't have
good color rendition. They didn't have a regulator to maintain light
output. Worst, they ran on 3 AAAs. That meant carrying 3 spares.
Changing them in the dark would have meant fumbling with 6 cells and
getting 3 cells in with the right polarity.

I've come to believe in the Fenix brand for design and reliability, and
a 1-cell light is wonderfully practical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 4:01 AM, J Burns wrote:
Eneloops were so good that Panasonic paid Sanyo for a license to make
them. Then Panasonic bought Sanyo. Part of the improvement came from
technology to make them of purer materials than conventional NiMH cells.
That means higher current capability, lower self-discharge, and more
years of service.

The last time I checked, Eneloop AAs were avaialable with 2 capacities:
2000 mah and 2500 mah, as I recall. I bought the 2000 mah because the
specs say they're designed for a lot more charge cycles.

I never bought any, but heard they were (are)
good. The "precharged" NiMH are supposed to
be similar.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 2:17:01 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
In Thane writes:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:02:18 -0400, TomR wrote:

In ,

J Burns typed:

I could definitely use this type of headlamp for a lot of applications,

so I'll be checking out places to buy them to see what they cost etc.

Costco has eneloops, at least they did last time I checked.

Still did last week. Note that they're now branded

as Panasonic and no longer Sanyo. Don't know if that

was a corporate buyup, merger, etc...

Yes, Panasonic/Matsu****a now owns Sanyo.

Oddly I had my first Eneloop failure this week. AAA in tiny light that I bought to fit in the flashlight clip in my car's glovebox (the factory-authorized light was a rebranded LED Lenser; I used a Fenix light from REI instead as it's brighter and fits the clip) only worked for maybe 1 minute when I went to use it. OK, recharge... dies again after one minute. D'oh!

I've been carrying a larger, similar AA light for over a year and that one is still kicking, but I gave it to my girlfriend because I just ordered a new EDC light, which should be delivered today...

I prefer more traditional handheld flashlights so my EDC was a Fenix E11, will now be a Sunwayman V11R (modified with high CRI emitter, yeah I splurged) for the main reason that I tried to read a book in a dark hospital room with the E11 and found that the "low" mode wasn't near low enough to work without shielding the light with my hand (and as a result was wasting juice doing so.)

My next most used lights are a Streamlight Night Com UV which I carry in a Surefire 6P holster and is used for more general repairs when I need a flashlight with longer runtime and/or specifically need the UV capabilities (leak detection, etc.) and a Zebralight headlight when I know I'll be working on a car or something where I'll need supplementary lighting.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 29, 2014 6:41:28 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/29/2014 4:01 AM, J Burns wrote:

Eneloops were so good that Panasonic paid Sanyo for a license to make

them. Then Panasonic bought Sanyo. Part of the improvement came from

technology to make them of purer materials than conventional NiMH cells.

That means higher current capability, lower self-discharge, and more

years of service.

The last time I checked, Eneloop AAs were avaialable with 2 capacities:

2000 mah and 2500 mah, as I recall. I bought the 2000 mah because the

specs say they're designed for a lot more charge cycles.

I never bought any, but heard they were (are)

good. The "precharged" NiMH are supposed to

be similar.

"precharged" is another marketing term for "Low Self Discharge" NiMH which is the type of cell that Eneloops are the best known brand. Others include Maha Imedion, Tenergy Centura, etc.

The Duracell "Ion Core" LSD NiMH that have appeared in stores in the last year are rumored to be rebranded Eneloops in the AAA size and Eneloop XX in the AA size making them possibly the best deal going in cells these days, and readily available too.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 12:22 AM, WW wrote:

If you are looking for any type of LED flashlight Google T Mart. They
have all kinds and no shipping. I have bought several things from
them. WW
.

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/
Wonder where they are? If they have no
shipping, that means I have to go get them
in person.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 12:22 AM, WW wrote:
If you are looking for any type of LED flashlight Google T Mart. They
have all kinds and no shipping. I have bought several things from
them. WW
.

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/

Looks like they have amazing variety, including
household 110 volt bulbs. Wow, I'll spend more
time on this web site.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 12:22 AM, WW wrote:

If you are looking for any type of LED flashlight Google T Mart. They
have all kinds and no shipping. I have bought several things from
them. WW
.

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/
Wonder where they are? If they have no
shipping, that means I have to go get them
in person.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

Oops FREE SHIPPING. WW
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 9:57 AM, WW wrote:

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/
Wonder where they are? If they have no
shipping, that means I have to go get them
in person.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

Oops FREE SHIPPING. WW
.

As the son of an editor, I have those
weak moments, now and again. Sigh. Yes,
FREE shipping.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 9:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/29/2014 12:22 AM, WW wrote:
If you are looking for any type of LED flashlight Google T Mart. They
have all kinds and no shipping. I have bought several things from
them. WW
.

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/

Looks like they have amazing variety, including
household 110 volt bulbs. Wow, I'll spend more
time on this web site.

http://www.tmart.com/27LEDs-Super-Br...A_p246849.html

Similar to this, free at Harbor Freight with coupon
and any purchase. The HF one comes with three carbon
zinc AAA cells. I've seen similar to this in auto
parts stores for five or six bucks.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 12:22 AM, WW wrote:
If you are looking for any type of LED flashlight Google T Mart. They
have all kinds and no shipping. I have bought several things from
them. WW
.

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/

Looks like they have amazing variety, including
household 110 volt bulbs. Wow, I'll spend more
time on this web site.

http://www.tmart.com/27LEDs-Super-Br...A_p246849.html

Similar to this, free at Harbor Freight with coupon
and any purchase. The HF one comes with three carbon
zinc AAA cells. I've seen similar to this in auto
parts stores for five or six bucks.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I bought one on impulse about 5 years ago. I soon regretted it. It
still has the original batteries because I've hardly used it.

The color rendition is poor. An unregulated LED light like that uses up
most of your battery energy pretty quickly. After that, it's pretty
dim, for most of the hours of battery life. I believe you need a #0
Phillips to change them.

With a first-rate headlamp, I know how much light I'll get when I press
the switch, and I can change batteries with one hand in the dark. I
suppose I average an hour a day, and that makes the hourly cost of
depreciating and charging Eneloops very small.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 4:26 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/29/14, 3:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.tmart.com/27LEDs-Super-Br...A_p246849.html
Similar to this, free at Harbor Freight with coupon
and any purchase. The HF one comes with three carbon
zinc AAA cells. I've seen similar to this in auto
parts stores for five or six bucks.

I bought one on impulse about 5 years ago. I soon regretted it. It
still has the original batteries because I've hardly used it.

CY: Wow, that's a rough review. I like one inside
my van, I magnet it to the top, and put it over
the work bench.

The color rendition is poor. An unregulated LED light like that uses up
most of your battery energy pretty quickly. After that, it's pretty
dim, for most of the hours of battery life. I believe you need a #0
Phillips to change them.

CY: Yes, mine takes phillips screw driver. Mine works OK
with #2 phillips. I'd prefer AA cells, they last a lot
longer.

With a first-rate headlamp, I know how much light I'll get when I press
the switch, and I can change batteries with one hand in the dark. I
suppose I average an hour a day, and that makes the hourly cost of
depreciating and charging Eneloops very small.

CY: Good that works for you. I like the two AA headlamps
from HF, with a mini mag LED conversion instead of the
provided filament bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/14, 5:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/29/2014 4:26 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/29/14, 3:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.tmart.com/27LEDs-Super-Br...A_p246849.html

Similar to this, free at Harbor Freight with coupon
and any purchase. The HF one comes with three carbon
zinc AAA cells. I've seen similar to this in auto
parts stores for five or six bucks.

I bought one on impulse about 5 years ago. I soon regretted it. It
still has the original batteries because I've hardly used it.

CY: Wow, that's a rough review. I like one inside
my van, I magnet it to the top, and put it over
the work bench.

Not wanting to feel like a fool for buying it, I've kept it on the side
of the refrigerator, by the doorway between the kitchen and the dining
room. That way it will be handy if I ever find a use for it.

It alternates between the end light and the side light. To me, that
makes it a novelty light. It has no regulator, it's not very bright,
and the color rendition is poor. My Fuel headlamp had the same four
drawbacks. Buying it was a worse blunder because it cost more.

When I bought the light in question, my favorite light was a 26-LED work
light that stands about 15" tall. It's not magnetic but can be stood,
propped, laid down, or hand held. Crummy LED lights use bluish LEDs.
Better ones have LEDs with yellow phosphor added, for a whiter light.
The work light has even better color rendition.

The problem with the work light is that the AA NiMH cells are soldered
in. They've held up better than I predicted, but after 10 years or
longer, self-discharge is becoming a problem. One more to-do for my
hassle calendar.

Maybe I shouldn't bother replacing the batteries. The handiness of a
good headlight has put that work light into retirement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 6:35 PM, J Burns wrote:
CY: Wow, that's a rough review. I like one inside
my van, I magnet it to the top, and put it over
the work bench.

Not wanting to feel like a fool for buying it, I've kept it on the side
of the refrigerator, by the doorway between the kitchen and the dining
room. That way it will be handy if I ever find a use for it.

CY: I have a couple on my fridge, also. The 27
might be useful for working on some thing at
night. Might.

It alternates between the end light and the side light. To me, that
makes it a novelty light.

CY: I figure it has either three to get me down the
hall, or 27 for when I'm working.

It has no regulator, it's not very bright,
and the color rendition is poor.

CY: The cheap LED, and what I call "blue fog"
light.

My Fuel headlamp had the same four
drawbacks. Buying it was a worse blunder because it cost more.

CY: Ouch.

When I bought the light in question, my favorite light was a 26-LED work
light that stands about 15" tall. It's not magnetic but can be stood,
propped, laid down, or hand held. Crummy LED lights use bluish LEDs.
Better ones have LEDs with yellow phosphor added, for a whiter light.
The work light has even better color rendition.

CY: Glad you foudn some thing that worked.

The problem with the work light is that the AA NiMH cells are soldered
in. They've held up better than I predicted, but after 10 years or
longer, self-discharge is becoming a problem. One more to-do for my
hassle calendar.

CY: A friend of mine gave me an under the hood
work light, probably much like yours. I took
out the charging circuit, and ran it off three
AA cell battery pack. Put in alkalines, and
gave the light back. He was very pleased.

Maybe I shouldn't bother replacing the batteries. The handiness of a
good headlight has put that work light into retirement.

CY: Nice to have a spare. Though I do like my strap on
head lamps. One friend who I greatly respect had a
headlamp that slid around all the time. He went back
to D or C cell "stick" lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/14, 6:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/29/2014 6:35 PM, J Burns wrote:

The problem with the work light is that the AA NiMH cells are soldered
in. They've held up better than I predicted, but after 10 years or
longer, self-discharge is becoming a problem. One more to-do for my
hassle calendar.

CY: A friend of mine gave me an under the hood
work light, probably much like yours. I took
out the charging circuit, and ran it off three
AA cell battery pack. Put in alkalines, and
gave the light back. He was very pleased.

Will you fix mine?
When it was new, I took it apart and tried to figure out a way to fix it
to use standard AAs. Swapping batteries would mean I could use it
indefinitely without a charging break. If a NiMH cell goes bad, throw
it away.

Also, it seems to charge them by supplying a certain current to all
three, and you guess when they're charged. An automatic charger with a
circuit for each cell would be faster and kinder to the batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/14, 8:03 AM, N8N wrote:
Oddly I had my first Eneloop failure this week. AAA in tiny light
that I bought to fit in the flashlight clip in my car's glovebox (the
factory-authorized light was a rebranded LED Lenser; I used a Fenix
light from REI instead as it's brighter and fits the clip) only
worked for maybe 1 minute when I went to use it. OK, recharge...
dies again after one minute. D'oh!

The switch on my HL-21 controls solid-state switching circuity. My
light draws 33 microamps when off. That would drain a fully charged 750
mah cell in 30 months. Your light may draw more than 33 microamps, and
self-discharge would shorten the time.

Most automatic chargers won't charge a fully discharged NiMH cell. I
believe the trick is to start by feeding it a little current from a
manual charger for an hour or so. Then, to bring the cell back to full
capacity, you keep charging and draining. My charger has a setting
where it will keep cycling a cell as long as the capacity increases.

I don't keep a light in my glove box. If I'm going to be out after
dark, I put my headlamp in my pocket. I'll probably carry a spare cell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 7:52 PM, J Burns wrote:
CY: A friend of mine gave me an under the hood
work light, probably much like yours. I took
out the charging circuit, and ran it off three
AA cell battery pack. Put in alkalines, and
gave the light back. He was very pleased.

Will you fix mine?
When it was new, I took it apart and tried to figure out a way to fix it
to use standard AAs. Swapping batteries would mean I could use it
indefinitely without a charging break. If a NiMH cell goes bad, throw
it away.

Also, it seems to charge them by supplying a certain current to all
three, and you guess when they're charged. An automatic charger with a
circuit for each cell would be faster and kinder to the batteries.

Sure, we can discuss it. I suspect the shipping
from you, to me, and back again will kill the
adventure. Having loose cells in a snap in
battery holder does have a LOT of advantages.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/14, 9:20 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/29/14, 8:03 AM, N8N wrote:
[...]

I remember now... if a NiMH cell is so discharged that the voltage is
below a certain point, you feed it a trickle charge for a few minutes to
bring the voltage up, before putting it on an automatic charger. I
don't remember if that point is 1.1 V, 1.0 V, or 0.9 V.

If your cell ran the light for a minute, that's probably not the
problem. Your charger may have shut off because it sensed a voltage
dip. If you take the cell off the charger and put it back on an hour
later, it may resume charging.

I don't know if it's true of eneloops, but NiMH cells left sitting for
months used to have trouble because the electrolyte was no longer
distributed. Exercising the cell by charging and discharging would
improve the performance.

On the data sheet, I see a discharged eneloop can be stored indefinitely
at up to 50 degrees C. Charged, it can be stored 3 months at up to 40 C
and up to a year at 30 C. That's why I don't store eneloops in the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/14, 9:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Will email accept an attachment the size of a work light? It would save
shipping charges!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 29, 2014 9:20:11 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
On 9/29/14, 8:03 AM, N8N wrote:

[...]

Mine should have no draw when off, as it is a simple on-off twisty, but I think that maybe it was getting turned on when the car when over bumps etc. I actually have been carrying it with a lithium AAA for the past few days and noticed that it turned itself on when I pulled on my pants to go downstairs for a midnight (OK, 3 AM) snack. I'll loosen the head more when I put it back in the glovebox, and carry a spare cell loose as well.

I tend to carry a light on my person at all times, but you know what they say, you'll need it when you don't have it. and sure enough, somehow I managed to *lose* my EDC pocket light, had to take a friend to the hospital in the middle of the night, and while there got a low tire pressure warning... so I was glad to have it, at least for long enough to find the valve stem in the dark.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 9:20 PM, J Burns wrote:
The switch on my HL-21 controls solid-state switching circuity. My
light draws 33 microamps when off. That would drain a fully charged 750
mah cell in 30 months. Your light may draw more than 33 microamps, and
self-discharge would shorten the time.

Most automatic chargers won't charge a fully discharged NiMH cell. I
believe the trick is to start by feeding it a little current from a
manual charger for an hour or so. Then, to bring the cell back to full
capacity, you keep charging and draining. My charger has a setting
where it will keep cycling a cell as long as the capacity increases.

I don't keep a light in my glove box. If I'm going to be out after
dark, I put my headlamp in my pocket. I'll probably carry a spare cell.

It's ideal to carry a spare set of batteries when going
out. The one time this really was inconvenient, I was
helping at a volunteer job. Wasn't sure how long batteries
in my FRS walkie talkie lasted. Sure enough, I was on the
3rd floor of a very tall building (tall stories) and my
batteries went dead as I was pulling wire, and talking to
the other worker in the cellar. The replacement set of
batteries was down, then back up, about equivilant of four
flight of stairs.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 9:53 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/29/14, 9:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sure, we can discuss it. I suspect the shipping
from you, to me, and back again will kill the
adventure. Having loose cells in a snap in
battery holder does have a LOT of advantages.

Will email accept an attachment the size of a work light? It would save
shipping charges!

Worth trying to scan and email it.
Or, Scotty can beam it down.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...03506c7798.jpg

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
J Burns typed:

Flashlights used to be a big hobby of mine, but now I have a Fenix
headlamp that runs on 1 AA cell and gives more lumens than your
lantern. On high, it will light a wall 500 feet away. I usually run
it at half the lumens of the lantern because that's plenty, and I get
5 hours from a cell.

Eneloops make it possible. . . . . ,

I found this 23-minute YouTube video on the Fenix HL-21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=098iZTA9GyM .

I am still looking for places to buy them along with right type of batteries
and battery charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/14, 6:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/29/2014 9:53 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/29/14, 9:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sure, we can discuss it. I suspect the shipping
from you, to me, and back again will kill the
adventure. Having loose cells in a snap in
battery holder does have a LOT of advantages.

Will email accept an attachment the size of a work light? It would save
shipping charges!

Worth trying to scan and email it.
Or, Scotty can beam it down.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...03506c7798.jpg

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I took the work light apart again. The battery is a plastic-wrapped
bundle of 3 double A's by Unitech, kind of like a cellphone battery. It
would be hard to get a different arrangement jammed into the space.

Taking it apart is miserable. It takes a lot of force to move the two
rubber bumpers of place, and they hold everything together. There's a
little screw in a well. I got it out but not back in. I thought it was
a tiny crosshead screw. Then I saw it has 3 slots! Why would they do
something like that!

I used to leave it charging until it felt a little warm. Last night I
left it charging while open so I could feel the cells directly. They
never got warm. The heat was coming from a sink. Maybe the light is
designed to protect the cells from overcharging.

Much as I love the color rendition of that light, maybe I'll throw it
away if the battery fails. A headlamp with great color rendition would
fill the bill. It makes things pretty and can help me spot what I'm
looking for. Cree publishes CRI data for their bulbs, but headlamp
manufacturers may not specify color. Before I bought my HL-21, I
emailed Fenix asking the bulb color. They didn't know. I think it has
a CRI of 80. If Fenix had been willing to sacrifice a few lumens, they
could have used a bulb with a CRI of 90. I would have preferred that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2014 4:47 PM, J Burns wrote:
[...]

Sounds a lot like the one I did. I drilled a hole
in the case, and put the three cell holder external,
held on with electric tape.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/14, 10:46 AM, TomR wrote:
In ,
J Burns typed:

Flashlights used to be a big hobby of mine, but now I have a Fenix
headlamp that runs on 1 AA cell and gives more lumens than your
lantern. On high, it will light a wall 500 feet away. I usually run
it at half the lumens of the lantern because that's plenty, and I get
5 hours from a cell.

Eneloops make it possible. . . . . ,

I found this 23-minute YouTube video on the Fenix HL-21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=098iZTA9GyM .

I am still looking for places to buy them along with right type of batteries
and battery charger.

Three places I look are amazon, fenixtactical, and batteryjunction. It
looks as if the HL21 is no longer available. If I had a choice, I'd try
the HL22 (the replacement), anyway. It doesn't have as much range, but
it has a wider beam. It's not designed for submersion, but I've never
submerged my HL21.

When I had switch trouble, I was annoyed that the tail piece wouldn't
come off my HL21 so I could clean the switch easily. The HL22 comes
with a spare tail piece. Removing it would probably help me get the
light dry if I were to drop it in a tub of water.

Because of my good experience with Fenix, I might skip the HL22 and jump
up to the HL50.

Amazon prices can change substantially from week to week, kind of like
the stock market.

I like a charger that charges each cell independently. I got the
LaCrosse BC-700 charger. Amazon's asking price jumps around. I was
frustrated at first because inserting a cell was likely to undo the
programming of the one I'd just programmed. The trick is to wait
perhaps 10 seconds, until the display of the last cell programmed gives
one blink.

I have to get my spectacles and turn on a light to read the fine print
on the display. The most reliable way to tell if a cell is charged is
the rate of temperature rise. Most chargers, including this one, use
the rate of voltage drop, instead. Occasionally, this charger can shut
off too soon or stay on too long. An infrared thermometer lets me
second guess it. If the temperature of a cell keeps going up, it's
charged. If it has stayed cool, it's not charged. This charger is
supposed to shut off a battery that reaches a critical temperature.

Candlepower forums has discussions on flashlights and chargers. There
seemed to be a consensus that the LaCrosse was a good value but Maha had
one with a better display, and it was less likely to shut off too soon
or too late. I don't see it on sale at Amazon anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2014 6:17 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/30/14, 5:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/30/2014 4:47 PM, J Burns wrote:
I took the work light apart again. The battery is a plastic-wrapped
bundle of 3 double A's by Unitech, kind of like a cellphone battery. It
would be hard to get a different arrangement jammed into the space.

Sounds a lot like the one I did. I drilled a hole
in the case, and put the three cell holder external,
held on with electric tape.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I'm tempted!

Worked, ok, here. I gave it back to the original
owner, with instructions to put in alkaline batts
when the light gets dim. I think they are about
thirty bucks at the store. The batt holder and
a couple cells might be worth the investment.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/14, 6:14 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/30/14, 10:46 AM, TomR wrote:
In ,
J Burns typed:

Flashlights used to be a big hobby of mine, but now I have a Fenix
headlamp that runs on 1 AA cell and gives more lumens than your
lantern. On high, it will light a wall 500 feet away. I usually run
it at half the lumens of the lantern because that's plenty, and I get
5 hours from a cell.

Eneloops make it possible. . . . . ,

I found this 23-minute YouTube video on the Fenix HL-21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=098iZTA9GyM .

I am still looking for places to buy them along with right type of
batteries
and battery charger.

Three places I look are amazon, fenixtactical, and batteryjunction.

Because of my good experience with Fenix, I might skip the HL22 and jump
up to the HL50.

Fenixlighting.com has the specs of current and discontinued lights.
With my HL21, the light in an 8-degree cone was 6 times more intense
than the light in the surrounding 23-degree cone. The HL22 has similar
intensity (range) but a better spread. That would make it better for
tasks, indoor use, and finding an item dropped in the grass. It also
has a higher color rendition index: 75 instead of 70.

The HL50 has more lumens but much less intensity. It must have a much
better spread, like a floodlight. Sounds like a great work light, and
the CRI is 75.

Candlepower forums has discussions on flashlights and chargers. There
seemed to be a consensus that the LaCrosse was a good value but Maha had
one with a better display, and it was less likely to shut off too soon
or too late. I don't see it on sale at Amazon anymore.

I remember the big complaint abut the LaCrosse charger. Eneloop
recommended a charge rate of C/2. LaCrosse recommended 200ma. That was
the default. For a AA Eneloop, that was C/10. That was often too low
for the charger to sense when the cell was charged. If you switched it
to 500 or 700ma, you'd probably be okay. The charger keeps track of the
time and milliamp hours for each cell, so you can see if a cell has been
on too long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 12:22 AM, WW wrote:

If you are looking for any type of LED flashlight Google T Mart. They
have all kinds and no shipping. I have bought several things from
them. WW
.

http://www.tmart.com/LED-Flashlights/
Wonder where they are? If they have no
shipping, that means I have to go get them
in person.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

Oops FREE SHIPPING. WW
.

I've got stuff from deals extreme, china. The free shipping has been a
problem sometimes requiring signature, and takes a week or two.

I always look for a location on web sites. Some don't give that out. It
should be under contact info, but often not, or listed in about company.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:47:03 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
[...]

If you like CRI, look for a light with a Nichia 219 emitter.

I actually just received two days ago a new light that I had modified with a 219 because I wanted something awesome. It's in my pocket now. (Sunwayman V11R modified by a guy who advertises on CPF if you care. the reason for that particular light is I love the magnetic control ring UI combined with the tailcap on/off switch...)

I'd found myself using my old EDC pocket light enough that I figured I could justify a little "extravagance" and getting exactly what I wanted. If this lasts me, say, as long as a car, it'll have been worth it.

nate