Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default LED flashlight report for home repair

On 9/30/14, 6:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/29/2014 9:53 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 9/29/14, 9:37 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sure, we can discuss it. I suspect the shipping
from you, to me, and back again will kill the
adventure. Having loose cells in a snap in
battery holder does have a LOT of advantages.

Will email accept an attachment the size of a work light? It would save
shipping charges!

Worth trying to scan and email it.
Or, Scotty can beam it down.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...03506c7798.jpg

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I took the work light apart again. The battery is a plastic-wrapped
bundle of 3 double A's by Unitech, kind of like a cellphone battery. It
would be hard to get a different arrangement jammed into the space.

Taking it apart is miserable. It takes a lot of force to move the two
rubber bumpers of place, and they hold everything together. There's a
little screw in a well. I got it out but not back in. I thought it was
a tiny crosshead screw. Then I saw it has 3 slots! Why would they do
something like that!

I used to leave it charging until it felt a little warm. Last night I
left it charging while open so I could feel the cells directly. They
never got warm. The heat was coming from a sink. Maybe the light is
designed to protect the cells from overcharging.

Much as I love the color rendition of that light, maybe I'll throw it
away if the battery fails. A headlamp with great color rendition would
fill the bill. It makes things pretty and can help me spot what I'm
looking for. Cree publishes CRI data for their bulbs, but headlamp
manufacturers may not specify color. Before I bought my HL-21, I
emailed Fenix asking the bulb color. They didn't know. I think it has
a CRI of 80. If Fenix had been willing to sacrifice a few lumens, they
could have used a bulb with a CRI of 90. I would have preferred that.