Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bamboo encrochment from neighbor

On Tuesday, October 9, 2001 10:40:04 AM UTC-7, Dan Musicant wrote:
I bought the house I've been living in for 18 years around 1.5 years
ago. My neighbor moved out and now rents the place out. I see him once
in a while, but we aren't freindly, although I could make an effort.

Anyway, there's a big stand of lush bamboo on his side of the fence and
it leans over the fence, but what's worse is the runners that come into
my yard and make my life miserable.

My tactic up to now has been:

1. to cut back the stuff that leans over my fence.

2. cut off the growing tips that come up fron the runners as much as I
can. This controls things to a big extent, but it will never stop the
problem and it keeps getting worse. This bamboo (I'm in Berkeley, CA,
and I think this is very common stuff around here) grows so fast it's
staggering. It can grow several inches per day at times. You go out in
the yard on a weekend and see shoots feet high that you never saw the
week before.

I've tried cutting out the runners, but it's a losing battle. I don't
think I can compel the owner to control his bamboo but I figure I can
place barriers on my side of the 5.5 foot high fence down into the soil
that will stop his runners from invading my property. Can I get
suggestions for materials to use, how to install and how deep? Or are
there better methods?

Thanks!

Dan

I'm looking for bamboo to plant to create a barrier between my house and the neighbor's (which I will plant in a rhizome barrier). All the nurseries I've checked are charging $60 to $90 for each 5 gallon container, and I need about 12, so I'm thinking it might be cheaper to dig out some bamboo that someone doesn't want and replant it. How much bamboo is there? Would the owner be willing to have it completely removed?
M-L H
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

--------

That bamboo would be over 13 years old. You might want to find some fresh
stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Sep 2014, Stormin Mormon wrote in
alt.home.repair:

He died
shortly there after from ingrown toe nails.

He should have grown them in toenail barriers.

You should have posted earlier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 13:32:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Steel sheet won't stop it, that's for sure. the stuff is VERY
aggressive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2014 03:32 PM, wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pico Rico wrote:

I'm looking for bamboo to plant to create a barrier between my house and
the neighbor's (which I will plant in a rhizome barrier). All the
nurseries I've checked are charging $60 to $90 for each 5 gallon
container, and I need about 12, so I'm thinking it might be cheaper to dig
out some bamboo that someone doesn't want and replant it. How much bamboo
is there? Would the owner be willing to have it completely removed?

Do you want real bamboo? Japanese knotweed has a similar appearance and
makes a good barrier. Be aware it's aggressive and you'll be fighting it
tooth and nail.