Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior door to garage should go IN or OUT?

Help here. Have an exterior door to outside world that opens INTO the
house. ok. Then there's a garage access door that opens OUT to the garage.
Is there any rule associated with an exterior door? Or preference based
upon some kind of logic?

I want to add a door to the garage through a bedroom wall where we turned
that bedroom into a storage/box room. However, if the door is the same as
the other door, it will open out and hit the bumper of one of the cars.
Well, at least try to hit the bumper. It's a big Mercedes so eats up a lot
of length in the garage and NO, it will be parked there.

Therefore, just like the 4 by 8 foot 'entrance' door that opens IN, why
can't I make this door open IN also. There's clearance in the box room for
it to swing into the house.

Anybody share the logic of selecting an IN vs OUT swinging exterior door?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2014 8:20 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
Help here. Have an exterior door to outside world that opens INTO the
house. ok. Then there's a garage access door that opens OUT to the
garage. Is there any rule associated with an exterior door? Or
preference based upon some kind of logic?

I want to add a door to the garage through a bedroom wall where we
turned that bedroom into a storage/box room. However, if the door is the
same as the other door, it will open out and hit the bumper of one of
the cars. Well, at least try to hit the bumper. It's a big Mercedes so
eats up a lot of length in the garage and NO, it will be parked there.

Therefore, just like the 4 by 8 foot 'entrance' door that opens IN, why
can't I make this door open IN also. There's clearance in the box room
for it to swing into the house.

Anybody share the logic of selecting an IN vs OUT swinging exterior door?

Whichever way you decide, it must be fire rated at 2 hrs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All my house and garage doors open inward. It helps protect the doors from being exposed on the inner surface to rain, etc. So you should be fine. I don't know if there are any building codes mandating the direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Every one I'm familiar with opens into the house. Exterior doors open IN
so they cannot be blocked by stuff on the outside either intentional or
nature, like snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
[...]

But in a public setting, they open OUT, so the massive, panicked hoard
behind you will not prevent the door from opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:28:08 -0400, Mark wrote:

[...]

The OP needs to do a population and domicile survey (P&DS) and find out
if it's more likely they'll be fleeing a fire by going from the garage
to the house or by going from the house to the garage. That determines
which way the door must open. If you google you can find the form,
and it's downloadable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Our garage has 2 doors opening inward going outsie(make sense, don't
door exposed to elements) 1 door is accesss to the house which we push
open from garage(fire rated steel door), pull in from inside the house.
We climb up 5 steps of stair so it'd be awkward if we pull to open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

not to mention that it also keeps a burglar from pulling the
pins out of the hinge and taking the door off

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2014 9:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/19/2014 8:20 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
Anybody share the logic of selecting an IN vs OUT swinging exterior door?

Every one I'm familiar with opens into the house. Exterior doors open IN
so they cannot be blocked by stuff on the outside either intentional or
nature, like snow.

Doors at theatres, for example, open out. If there
is a fire and crowd, the crush of bodies could
block the in swing door.

Residential, often open in, so the storm or screen
door can open out.

One day about twenty years ago, I got a call from
some friends. They had one working exterior door.
I told them that was unsafe. The back door they
used was at the cellar stairs, and would be
blocked if the furnace caught fire. A tree branch
had fallen and blocked the out swing storm door
to the one door that worked. I went there with
chain saw and cut up the branch for them.

"my hero"

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/2014 9:35 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Every one I'm familiar with opens into the house. Exterior doors open IN
so they cannot be blocked by stuff on the outside either intentional or
nature, like snow.

But in a public setting, they open OUT, so the massive, panicked hoard
behind you will not prevent the door from opening.

Yep, look for "Chicago Iroquois theatre fire".

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 19, 2014 9:32:03 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Good point. I never thought about it that way. I have a garage door
to the outside and it too opens inward, toward the garage. In his case,
following what you say, his door between the house and garage should
probably open into the house. More likely in an emergency you'd be on
the house side, trying to get to the garage, than the other way around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:08:12 -0700, ChairMan wrote:

...snip...

not to mention that it also keeps a burglar from pulling the
pins out of the hinge and taking the door off

wow! got a lot of great answers, but this one is the best so far!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:35:55 -0700, wrote:

...snip....

Swing out exterior doors are not that rare here.

They do sell a hinge with extruding pins that go in holes on the other
plate so it is locked even when you pull the pins.

The home version is to drill matching holes on both plates, run a
screw in one, into the jam and cut the head off so it sticks out 3/8"
or so. Drill into the door to clear the stub.

Got it, just like the door on a SAFE. dead bolts all the way around.
interesting concept.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xmhojo0a2cx0wh@ajm...
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:35:55 -0700, wrote:

...snip....

Swing out exterior doors are not that rare here.

They do sell a hinge with extruding pins that go in holes on the other
plate so it is locked even when you pull the pins.

The home version is to drill matching holes on both plates, run a
screw in one, into the jam and cut the head off so it sticks out 3/8"
or so. Drill into the door to clear the stub.

Got it, just like the door on a SAFE. dead bolts all the way around.
interesting concept.

I saw a door in Italy like that - it had REAL metal shafts all around it
like a safe. But the door was a normal looking door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 19, 2014 10:08:12 PM UTC-7, ChairMan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

snip

not to mention that it also keeps a burglar from pulling the
pins out of the hinge and taking the door off

You must not have heard of such a common thing as a "security hinge" that has a pin preventing removal of the closed door even with the pins removed.

You can even make one yourself in several simple ways.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 7:12:25 AM UTC-7, Robert Macy wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:08:12 -0700, ChairMan wrote:

...snip...

not to mention that it also keeps a burglar from pulling the
pins out of the hinge and taking the door off

wow! got a lot of great answers, but this one is the best so far!

Too bad it is wrong as I and others pointed out.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is one _very_ good reason for an out-swing. It is amazing how much space it frees up inside the room.

There is another _good_ reason. It makes it almost impossible for a criminal (or law enforcement) for that matter to 'kick in' the door. Takes some serious equipment to forcebly open it from the outside as you basically have to remove both the door and frame to force it.

Drawback is the 'room outside to open that way' Someone mentioned that it needs 36" standing room.

Doors opening out are mostly mandated in codes for commercial buildings.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:36:41 -0700, wrote:

...snip....

They usually make exterior doors open "in" to accommodate screen/storm
doors. Some places in wind hazard areas want them to open out because
they can handle higher wind loads.
The decision on the garage door is arbitrary. You can go either way.
It does need to be a solid core door, some places say, with a metal
frame (20 minute rated per fire code) and if they even suspect that is
a bedroom, you can't have a door there at all. Lose the closet, then
it is a den.

ICC residential code
R302.5.1 Opening protection.
Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping
purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and
residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8
inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not
less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

Thanks for the exact wording.

However, most of the bedrooms in our home have an 'external' door.