Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any better rubber casters?

Hi All,

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...627538.2627561

Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:

1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)

2) the sleeves fall off the wood, casters and all. Pounding the
sleeves back on does not help as the wood were the sleeve's
teeth goes in has failed.

I was thinking of adding a little wood glue to the new
sleeves I will get with the new casters, but the casters
will still fail again in a year or two.

Anyone has an opinion for better casters?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Todd" wrote in message

Hi All,

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...627538.2627561

Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:

1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)

2) the sleeves fall off the wood, casters and all. Pounding the
sleeves back on does not help as the wood were the sleeve's
teeth goes in has failed.

I was thinking of adding a little wood glue to the new
sleeves I will get with the new casters, but the casters
will still fail again in a year or two.

Glue won't do squat. If you can use casters that attach with screw on
plates, use those. If not, drill out a larger hole, glue in a hardwood
dowel then drill into the dowel for the sleeve. An even better fix would
be to drill out and epoxy in a coupling for threaded rods, then use
casters that have threaded studs.

If you do any drilling, keep it vertical...being off vertical is one cause
of caster failure.

Anyone has an opinion for better casters?

I favor ball casters like these...

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardw...N%3DB000FKBSOM

I am not suggesting these particular ones, though, I have not used them.
I've used some from HD, they failed and spewed ball bearings. My current,
several year old ones were purchased from a company in Canada that sells a
vast array of things mostly to contractors. Can't think of their name,
will try to post it later.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

My current,
several year old ones were purchased from a company in Canada that sells
vast array of things mostly to contractors. Can't think of their name,
will try to post it later.

Ou****er Plastics. Their free catalog is worth having. Link to ball
caster page...
http://ou****ercatalogs.com/lg_displ...ol_42/page/225

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2014 3:35 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...627538.2627561

Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:

1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)

There are very good casters out there. Go to www.grainger.com or
www.mcmaster.com and get some commercial/industrial grade casters and
they will last decades. They give information to help you choose what is
best for your needs.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,
Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:
1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)
2) the sleeves fall off the wood, casters and all. Pounding the
sleeves back on does not help as the wood were the sleeve's
teeth goes in has failed.
Todd:

If you are having this problem with those casters, then everyone else who buys them is as well.

I'd look in your yellow pages phone directory under "Wheels". "Wheels" are different than "tires" because the word "tires" implies that they're inflated with air, whereas the word "wheels" makes no such implication. Most of the places listed under "Wheels" will also sell casters, and will have seen the problem you're having a thousand times. They would undoubtedly know why the problem keeps happening, or would carry a line of casters that don't fall apart like that.

But, expect to pay more for a better quality caster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...627538.2627561

Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:

1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)

2) the sleeves fall off the wood, casters and all.
Pounding the
sleeves back on does not help as the wood were the
sleeve's
teeth goes in has failed.

I was thinking of adding a little wood glue to the new
sleeves I will get with the new casters, but the casters
will still fail again in a year or two.

Anyone has an opinion for better casters?

Many thanks,
-T

As dadiOH said, get the ball type and filling the existing
hole is an option.
Also, after you have redrilled the hole and reinserted the
sleeve, put a 14oz tack or similar size nail with a head
beside the collar with the head just lapping over the collar
to keep it from coming out again
HTH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 00:35:41 -0700, Todd wrote:

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

What size are the legs on this chair - in diameter...are they a
kitchen table chair or office chair?

Wood glue is not your answer so forget that. (IMHO)

Photos with a URL link back here from a free host site?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2014 05:08 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

My current,
several year old ones were purchased from a company in Canada that
sells a
vast array of things mostly to contractors. Can't think of their name,
will try to post it later.

Ou****er Plastics. Their free catalog is worth having. Link to ball
caster page...
http://ou****ercatalogs.com/lg_displ...ol_42/page/225

Hi Pops,

Thank you!

Why is it that you prefer ball over wheel? is there less
strain when moving, leading to less failure?

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2014 04:04 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message

Hi All,

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...627538.2627561

Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:

1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)

2) the sleeves fall off the wood, casters and all. Pounding the
sleeves back on does not help as the wood were the sleeve's
teeth goes in has failed.

I was thinking of adding a little wood glue to the new
sleeves I will get with the new casters, but the casters
will still fail again in a year or two.

Glue won't do squat. If you can use casters that attach with screw on
plates, use those. If not, drill out a larger hole, glue in a hardwood
dowel then drill into the dowel for the sleeve. An even better fix
would be to drill out and epoxy in a coupling for threaded rods, then
use casters that have threaded studs.

I like this idea.

If you do any drilling, keep it vertical...being off vertical is one
cause of caster failure.

Great tip!

Anyone has an opinion for better casters?

I favor ball casters like these...

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardw...N%3DB000FKBSOM

I am not suggesting these particular ones, though, I have not used them.
I've used some from HD, they failed and spewed ball bearings. My
current, several year old ones were purchased from a company in Canada
that sells a vast array of things mostly to contractors. Can't think of
their name, will try to post it later.

Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2014 06:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/14/2014 3:35 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...627538.2627561

Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:

1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)

There are very good casters out there. Go to www.grainger.com or
www.mcmaster.com and get some commercial/industrial grade casters and
they will last decades. They give information to help you choose what is
best for your needs.

Oh wow! 80 lb vs 250 lb capacity. I have been using
el-cheap-o casters.

Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2014 11:08 AM, ChairMan wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Hi Chariman,

Had to think about it for a second, but then I understood.
An excellent idea. I am really tired of the sleeves falling
out.

Thank you!

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2014 11:52 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 00:35:41 -0700, Todd wrote:

My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:

What size are the legs on this chair - in diameter...are they a
kitchen table chair or office chair?

Hi Oren,

It is an office type chair. It has four legs. Guessing down
by where the casters go, the wood is 3" high and 2" wide.

Wood glue is not your answer so forget that. (IMHO)

Chairman idea of a #14 tack seems like a perfect idea.
Scratch the glue.

Photos with a URL link back here from a free host site?

It was originally sold by LLBean, but has been discontinued
years ago. Wife loves the thing.

It sort of look like

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Chair-in-...r+with+casters

Only without the pads and only four legs. The base look
very similar.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 12:27:38 -0700, Todd wrote:

It is an office type chair. It has four legs. Guessing down
by where the casters go, the wood is 3" high and 2" wide.

Wood glue is not your answer so forget that. (IMHO)

Chairman idea of a #14 tack seems like a perfect idea.
Scratch the glue.

Photos with a URL link back here from a free host site?

It was originally sold by LLBean, but has been discontinued
years ago. Wife loves the thing.

The chair I sit in is very much the same to the configuration you
have. Rollers are plastic, not rubber. Chair is 14 years old. Same
with another chair that is 22 years old. Maybe rubber wheels are not
the best choice. I can't say. Never had to fix any casters so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2014 12:52 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 12:27:38 -0700, Todd wrote:

It is an office type chair. It has four legs. Guessing down
by where the casters go, the wood is 3" high and 2" wide.

Wood glue is not your answer so forget that. (IMHO)

Chairman idea of a #14 tack seems like a perfect idea.
Scratch the glue.

Photos with a URL link back here from a free host site?

It was originally sold by LLBean, but has been discontinued
years ago. Wife loves the thing.

The chair I sit in is very much the same to the configuration you
have. Rollers are plastic, not rubber. Chair is 14 years old. Same
with another chair that is 22 years old. Maybe rubber wheels are not
the best choice. I can't say. Never had to fix any casters so far.

Hi Oren,

Good to know it is possible.

I think my mistake was thinking that Ace was going to sell
higher quality stuff. I bought junk.

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

My current,
several year old ones were purchased from a company in
Canada that
sells a
vast array of things mostly to contractors. Can't think
of their
name, will try to post it later.

Ou****er Plastics. Their free catalog is worth having.
Link to ball
caster page...
http://ou****ercatalogs.com/lg_displ...ol_42/page/225

Hi Pops,

Thank you!

Why is it that you prefer ball over wheel? is there less
strain when moving, leading to less failure?

-T

exactly, the ball type can swivel in any direction where as
the wheel type needs to turn so the wheel will roll
properly, if not it puts extra strain on the caster and stem
which in turn will wollow out the hole and you'll have
failure

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

not necessarily junk, just the wrong wheel for the
application

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

Look for industrial/commercial grade ones at quality office furniture
supplier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:00:12 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

I think my mistake was thinking that Ace was going to sell
higher quality stuff. I bought junk.

not necessarily junk, just the wrong wheel for the
application

Butter beans. Corn bread, sliced onions, tomatoes and sweet ice tea.

wink
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

[...]

That explains it. Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2014 12:35 AM, Todd wrote:

Over on Amazon, my wife found a review of a ball caster
that messed up the reviewer's hardwood floor. Left lines
(slight indents) about 1/4 wide in the floor.

I can't find there reference to help illustrate.

Is this a problem, or did the lady have a really soft hardwood?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2014 5:41 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/14/2014 12:35 AM, Todd wrote:

Over on Amazon, my wife found a review of a ball caster
that messed up the reviewer's hardwood floor. Left lines
(slight indents) about 1/4 wide in the floor.

I can't find there reference to help illustrate.

Is this a problem, or did the lady have a really soft hardwood?

Many thanks,
-T

Makes sense. The roller has more contact than a ball. I'm too lazy to
do the math right now, bit a 3/4: roller is going to contact more than
the pinpoint of a ball.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:41:42 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/14/2014 12:35 AM, Todd wrote:

Over on Amazon, my wife found a review of a ball caster
that messed up the reviewer's hardwood floor. Left lines
(slight indents) about 1/4 wide in the floor.

I can't find there reference to help illustrate.

Is this a problem, or did the lady have a really soft hardwood?

Many thanks,
-T

I'd guess the wood flooring. I've seen good quality wood floors
damaged by dogs, toe nails scratching the top surface. Not deep but
it was obvious when the light hit the floor just right. For an office
chair, you can always put down a mat to protect the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Todd belched:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I wasn't sure I explained it right, but it made sense to me because
I've done it hundreds of times : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Todd belched:
On 09/14/2014 12:35 AM, Todd wrote:

Over on Amazon, my wife found a review of a ball caster
that messed up the reviewer's hardwood floor. Left lines
(slight indents) about 1/4 wide in the floor.

I can't find there reference to help illustrate.

Is this a problem, or did the lady have a really soft hardwood?

Many thanks,
-T

I'd say the floor, but it depends on the caster.
With the round ball type there are two densities. What brand are the ones on
Amazon?
If they are chinese that could be the difference
Look here
http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_baron.html
As you can see when you click the wheel tab there are 2 types the Spherical
Soft Rubber (1-5/8" models) and the Spherical Polyolefin (2" models).
I've never had issues on wood or tile floors with either
There is also this type( which is a true "ball"caster) has a rubber or
urethane tread, which would work on wood, too.
http://www.shepherdcasters.com/produ...ll.html#wheels
If you stick with sheppard, you should be okay. I still think the issue was
here floors, probably chinese engineered crap and/or the casters are cheap
HARD rubber, which I have seen and willl mark your floor

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

I think my mistake was thinking that Ace was going to sell
higher quality stuff. I bought junk.

not necessarily junk, just the wrong wheel for the
application

Butter beans. Corn bread, sliced onions, tomatoes and sweet ice tea.

wink

Huh? Whatcha you talkin about Willis?

That should be beer,BBQ and babes : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2014 07:57 PM, ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Todd belched:
[...]

Now I know why you are called Chair Man

How about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Caste...owViewpoints=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
[...]

: )

How about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Caste...owViewpoints=1

Thats the same as the Baron series just with antique finish
and are the 2' Polyolefin
They should be fine, like I said I've used them for years
and have never had an issue. I prefer the Baron over the
ball type for the simple reason that I've seen the stem fail
under extreme stress and crack the ball, but haven't seen
the axle fail on the Baron.(yet) As far as the dual race,
it's in the stem because there's no bearings in the wheel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2014 09:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:
I prefer the Baron over the
ball type for the simple reason that I've seen the stem fail
under extreme stress and crack the ball,

I got the part number off of this pdf:

PBH20302WA-3ED

http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_baron.html

The title on the page is "Baron Spherical Wheel
casters".
Posted to alt.home.repair

#14 tack

Hopefully, Ace Hardware will know what I mean when I
say I want "#14 tacks"
Posted to alt.home.repair

#14 tack

Hopefully, Ace Hardware will know what I mean when I
say I want "#14 tacks"

that translates to a 14 oz tack or more commonly as a carpet
or webbing tack perferably with a barb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:30:44 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/15/2014 09:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:
I prefer the Baron over the
ball type for the simple reason that I've seen the stem fail
under extreme stress and crack the ball,

I got the part number off of this pdf:

PBH20302WA-3ED

http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_baron.html

The title on the page is "Baron Spherical Wheel
casters".

Chairman. The link shows "Load Range: 70 to 80 lbs."

Is this for each caster?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:30:44 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/15/2014 09:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:
I prefer the Baron over the
ball type for the simple reason that I've seen the stem fail
under extreme stress and crack the ball,

I got the part number off of this pdf:

PBH20302WA-3ED

http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_baron.html

The title on the page is "Baron Spherical Wheel
casters".

Chairman. The link shows "Load Range: 70 to 80 lbs."

Is this for each caster?

yup, so four on a chair would be #320

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message

In ,
Oren belched:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:30:44 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/15/2014 09:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:
I prefer the Baron over the
ball type for the simple reason that I've seen the stem fail
under extreme stress and crack the ball,

I got the part number off of this pdf:

PBH20302WA-3ED

http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_baron.html

The title on the page is "Baron Spherical Wheel
casters".

Chairman. The link shows "Load Range: 70 to 80 lbs."

Is this for each caster?

yup, so four on a chair would be #320

And that doesn't mean they will collapse if you put 350# on the chair. Or
400#.

--

dadiOH