Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Pavers

I would like to cut a ~6 inch (diameter) hole, in a 28 inch wide paver
stone. The paver is 1 1/2 inch thick. I have a Tile Saw. What blade do
I need?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C[_3_] View Post
I would like to cut a ~6 inch (diameter) hole, in a 28 inch wide paver
stone. The paver is 1 1/2 inch thick. I have a Tile Saw. What blade do
I need?
I don't think you'd want to use a tile saw to do that cut.

I think a far more practical way would be to mark the hole location on the paver, and then use a masonary bit to drill small holes through the paver along the periphery of the hole location. Keep drilling between holes until you have your holes about 1/2 inch or less apart. Now take a hammer and start bashing away at the material you want to remove. The paver should break between the holes you drilled, leaving you with a hole of the shape desired.

Obviously, the closer spaced the holes you drill are, the higher the liklihood that the material inside those holes will break free of the paver without the paver breaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:29:25 -0400, Dave C wrote:

I would like to cut a ~6 inch (diameter) hole, in a 28 inch wide paver
stone. The paver is 1 1/2 inch thick. I have a Tile Saw. What blade do
I need?

a 6 inch diameter abrasive edged hole saw would be best - run wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 12, 2014 1:51:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:29:25 -0400, Dave C wrote:

I would like to cut a ~6 inch (diameter) hole, in a 28 inch wide paver

stone. The paver is 1 1/2 inch thick. I have a Tile Saw. What blade do

I need?

a 6 inch diameter abrasive edged hole saw would be best - run wet.

I have a tile just like that left by the previous owner, surrounding a drain.

He cut the tile in 4 quarters and chopped off the points in the center. Looks odd but it works. I suspect it was an accident, that it snapped when he was trying to cut it, and he just made the best of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

;3282873']I would like to cut a ~6 inch (diameter) hole, in a 28 inch

--

nestork

paver is likely reinforced with wire mesh or even rebar........

might be easier to pour a paver with the hole already in it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 13:11:56 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

paver is likely reinforced with wire mesh or even rebar........

Not in my world. Ever see a red brick with steel or mesh?

I'd suggest the OP use a diamond blade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

|I would like to cut a ~6 inch (diameter) hole, in a 28 inch wide paver
| stone. The paver is 1 1/2 inch thick. I have a Tile Saw. What blade do
| I need?

One of the other ideas presented might be better
for what you need, but if it's going to be covered
(in other words, if you have some kind of flange
on whatever is going throught the hole) then I
think a carborundum blade on a circular saw might
be easiest. You could cut a 6" square with that.
I like the idea of a 6" abrasive hole saw, but it
sounds very expensive for a single use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

'Dave C[_3_ Wrote:

[...]

Funny, I've never seen a paver with steel in it. Might be a regional
thing.
When I needed a 5" hole in a granite tile for a floor drain I went to
a concrete cutting and coring outfit and they popped the hole through
in a couple minutes with a diamond encrusted core drill. For the same
price I could have rented an abrasive hole saw and a Kango and done it
myself - possibly breaking a tile or two due to inexperience runng.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:14:09 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

|I would like to cut a ~6 inch (diameter) hole, in a 28 inch wide paver
| stone. The paver is 1 1/2 inch thick. I have a Tile Saw. What blade do
| I need?

One of the other ideas presented might be better
for what you need, but if it's going to be covered
(in other words, if you have some kind of flange
on whatever is going throught the hole) then I
think a carborundum blade on a circular saw might
be easiest. You could cut a 6" square with that.
I like the idea of a 6" abrasive hole saw, but it
sounds very expensive for a single use.

For single use - particularly if it is a red clay paver, I'd be
tempted to run over to Lowes and grab a Kobalt 0322705 grit edged 6
3/8" ceiling latin saw for under $20. As I said earlier, run it wet.
Put a dam of dum-dum or clay around the hole to keep about 1/4" of
water and drive it with your 1/2" drill motor. Predrill the pilot with
a carbaloy bit first. The rotating pilot drill will slow down the
water loss through the pilot hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

'Dave C[_3_ Wrote:

[...]

around pittsburgh concrete pavers with wire mesh are very common...

Cutting pavers update Buerste Metalworking 10 July 27th 10 03:15 AM
Cutting pavers Buerste Metalworking 11 July 24th 10 03:58 AM
Cutting block pavers with a diamond disc in a chop saw Zen83237 UK diy 12 February 18th 09 09:58 AM
Cutting Pavers Rod UK diy 12 October 2nd 08 05:15 PM
Concrete pavers / interlock pavers [email protected] Home Repair 10 April 14th 05 10:15 PM