Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting block pavers with a diamond disc in a chop saw

I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block cutter
and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw.
I went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates in a
chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling). Now I did see
a saw on one site that had a water apray sysetm but I can't remember where.
Now this one does say that it will cut aggregates.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42602/...W-Chop-SawDoes anybody have any recommendations for a saw.I could hire a brick cutter but I tend to do diy jobs at my leasure so wouldneed to hire one on 2 or 3 occasions. I woul rather buy a reasonable pricedsaw and then keep it for other jobs.Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block cutter
and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw.
I went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates in a
chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling). Now I did see
a saw on one site that had a water apray sysetm but I can't remember where.
Now this one does say that it will cut aggregates.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42602/...W-Chop-SawDoes anybody have any recommendations for a saw.I could hire a brick cutter but I tend to do diy jobs at my leasure so wouldneed to hire one on 2 or 3 occasions. I woul rather buy a reasonable pricedsaw and then keep it for other jobs.Kevin

I think a saw runs at half the speed of a grinder. What difference that
makes in practice I don't know
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Zen83237 wrote:
I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block
cutter and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw. I
went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates in a
chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling).

As does an angle grinder more commonly used for this task.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Zen83237 wrote:
I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block
cutter and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw. I
went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates in a
chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling).

As does an angle grinder more commonly used for this task.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

This came up in my original post. My cutting with a 9" angle grinder isn't
very straight. It isn't the blocks so much as the kerb pieces. I have a
situation from my garage along a boundary and a kerb block will be too wide
so I need to cut 1 or 2 inches off the width, otherwise the garage door wont
open fully.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...
Zen83237 wrote:
I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block
cutter and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw.
I went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates in
a chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling). Now I
did see a saw on one site that had a water apray sysetm but I can't
remember where.
Now this one does say that it will cut aggregates.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42602/...W-Chop-SawDoes
anybody have any recommendations for a saw.I could hire a brick cutter
but I tend to do diy jobs at my leasure so wouldneed to hire one on 2 or
3 occasions. I woul rather buy a reasonable pricedsaw and then keep it
for other jobs.Kevin

I think a saw runs at half the speed of a grinder. What difference that
makes in practice I don't know

Just that the brick cutter would give a nice straight cut.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
[...]

Pretty expensive. Couldn't you just use an angle grinder stand?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
[...]

If it came to a brick cutter I would hire it. I could just about justify
buying a chop saw on the basis of using it for other jobs. I have never
heard of an angle grinder stand so I will investigate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block
cutter and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw. I
went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates
in a chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling).

As does an angle grinder more commonly used for this task.

This came up in my original post. My cutting with a 9" angle grinder
isn't very straight. It isn't the blocks so much as the kerb pieces. I
have a situation from my garage along a boundary and a kerb block will
be too wide so I need to cut 1 or 2 inches off the width, otherwise the
garage door wont open fully.

You can get stands for angle grinders so they work rather like a chop saw.

But a cheap chop saw - being more common - might not cost anymore.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm not sure 'they' take more precautions against
dust getting into an angle grinder than a chop saw. None of the ones I've
seen use filters.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
[...]

I did think that the retailer was may be being a bit over cautious. May be
they got stung once too opten with returned boken chop saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
I posted a few weeks back about cutting the kerb pavers with a block
cutter and one reply mentions using a diamond disc in a chop saw.
I went to my local tool shop and they frowned upon cutting aggregates
in a chop saw as the dust knackers the motors ( using air cooling). Now I
did see a saw on one site that had a water spray system but I can't
remember
where. Now this one does say that it will cut aggregates.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42602/...2000W-Chop-Saw

I saw (no pun intended) a demo of the hand held version once
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40405/...PCFFQ?ts=99958

Very impressive it was too. Much less dust than an angle grider as it
seemed to 'cut' rather than 'abrade' IYSWIM.

They only cut stone with a diamond blade though - which is £48 extra.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I saw (no pun intended) a demo of the hand held version once

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40405/...PCFFQ?ts=99958

Very impressive it was too. Much less dust than an angle grider as it
seemed to 'cut' rather than 'abrade' IYSWIM.

Would be down to the type of blade, I'd guess.

They only cut stone with a diamond blade though - which is £48 extra.

I have a diamond blade for my angle grinder. Cost more than the machine.
;-)

I've used a plasplugs tile cutter to cut paving slabs - slow but gives a
beautiful edge.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I saw (no pun intended) a demo of the hand held version once

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40405/...PCFFQ?ts=99958

Very impressive it was too. Much less dust than an angle grider as
it seemed to 'cut' rather than 'abrade' IYSWIM.

Would be down to the type of blade, I'd guess.

They only cut stone with a diamond blade though - which is £48 extra.

I have a diamond blade for my angle grinder. Cost more than the
machine. ;-)

Aldi do them every now & then - really cheap & very good.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I have a diamond blade for my angle grinder. Cost more than the
machine. ;-)

Aldi do them every now & then - really cheap & very good.

I got the 9" angle grinder from Lidl - but have never seen that size
diamond discs there. So went to Screwfix. It was for a particular job and
paid for itself. Nearest Aldi is a 90 minute round trip away.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Cutting Pavers Rod UK diy 12 October 2nd 08 05:15 PM
Half or third height block pavers - where? Mike Tomlinson UK diy 7 May 5th 08 08:47 AM
Diamond disc suitable for cutting steel? [email protected] UK diy 4 October 15th 06 10:44 PM
Cutting Aluminum With Chop Saw (?) Dar Shelton Metalworking 8 April 22nd 04 12:19 AM