Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater again!

Oh so annoying! I had called the plumber because it was getting to where
our replacement water heater had to be lit once a day. Initially we had a
new one installed on New Year's Eve, 2009. It worked for a while but then I
had to keep relighting it. At first it was perhaps every three months, then
every week then like every half an hour.

They never could find out what was wrong with it. They replaced every part
they could and finally just gave us a new one. And it was fine at first.
But the same problems started happening up until now! I just relight it
perhaps 2 hours ago when daughter took a shower and ran out of hot water. I
had gotten to the point of being OCD in checking it to make sure it was
still lit. And it had been the last time I looked. And even though it is a
50 gallon tank, apparently when it goes out, the water cools very quickly.

So I relit it, called the plumber because it was getting to where I had to
light it daily. Plumber asked me some questions about it and I had to go
out there to look at it. And it it wasn't lit! So it went out less than 20
minutes after I lit it. And now it won't light at all. Grrr... Grrr...
Grrr...

I am sick of this. And they can't do anything about it tonight. Guy said
he could come out here but I would have to pay $150 just to get him out as
it would be after hours charges. But he had no clue whether or not he could
do anything about it tonight. So... We wait.

Only thing I can figure is that it might be the venting. That is the only
thing they didn't check. They did say that the last one wasn't drafting
properly or something like that.

I thought maybe that it had something to do with humidity. We had a few
humid days lately and it seemed to go out when it was humid. Then the
torrential downpour throughout the night last night that knocked the power
out. Amazingly enough the thing stayed lit through all that.