Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What kind of grease for chain saw internal drive?

I have a Sears Craftsman/Husqvarna 16" electric chain saw. The plastic gear that is driven on its inside diameter by the gear on the end of the motor shaft finally wore out and I have a new plastic gear from Sears. But, no info on what type of grease, if any to put on the plastic gear and "pinion" gear that Sears calls the gear on the end of the motor shaft that drives the inside diameter of the plastic gear.

Suggestions - polite ones only please g.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Old gear seemed lubricated mostly with remnants of plastic mixed with sawdust/debris and chain oil fumes, really couldn't tell or I would have gone ahead. The lithium grease seems reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, cleaning out the old krap so it doesn't start wearing out the new parts is very important, I'm planning on swishing some gasoline on the parts to get them clean, allowing them to dry, and then using some grease from my grease gun to start out fresh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

I have a Sears Craftsman/Husqvarna 16" electric chain saw. The plastic gear
that is driven on its inside diameter by the gear on the end of the motor
shaft finally wore out and I have a new plastic gear from Sears. But, no
info on what type of grease, if any to put on the plastic gear and "pinion"
gear that Sears calls the gear on the end of the motor shaft that drives the
inside diameter of the plastic gear.

HR-

Did you look at the parts list on Sears Parts Direct website? There
might be grease listed as a not-illustrated part.

I wonder if any grease might be a problem? Debris would tend to stick
to it, accelerating the wear-out of the plastic gear. Plastic against
metal may not need lubrication in some applications.

Fred

where in USA to buy drive chain/gears? DougC Metalworking 21 April 23rd 11 07:14 PM
chain drive lathe JohnM Metalworking 8 December 17th 07 04:39 AM
Should you oil or grease a garage door opener chain? dean Home Repair 12 August 31st 05 06:32 PM
Use Dry-Lub or Grease on Bike Chain and Lawn Mower? Jay Chan Home Repair 16 July 14th 04 07:17 PM
What kind of Grease should I use ??? John Albers Metalworking 1 April 23rd 04 11:06 PM