Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing Lakewood Kool Operator fan

I have an old 7-blade Kool Operator fan which I'm trying to get working
again. For a long time, it only started up on Hi, and now it just doesn't
start up. And the blade no longer moves freely. So I suspect it needs
cleaning and oiling. I hope that's all. I don't find a capacitor anywhere,
and the switch seems good.

The problem is getting the plastic fan blades off the shaft so I can take the
motor apart. I can't tell whether it screws on, or in which direction, or is
pressed on, or what.

Has anyone taken one of these fans apart or knows how to get the blades off?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2014 8:17 AM, Peabody wrote:
Nevermind. It's just pressed on, with a square side. So it just needs to be
pulled straight off, wiggled, persuaded, but not turned.

Thanks for the update. I've found that brake
cleaner or carb cleaner works well to remove
dried out lube. Zoom Spout turbine oil works
well for oiling. I've heard that two stroke
gas mix oil works well, also. Not the gasoline
mix, just the oil.

A sticky fan; gas mix to thin
The man's actions were damnable
The can it did say flammable
He plugged it in, the cord to the socket
The explosion blew the house up just like a rocket
And now the burn ward he's in

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon says...

Thanks for the update. I've found that brake cleaner or
carb cleaner works well to remove dried out lube. Zoom
Spout turbine oil works well for oiling. I've heard that
two stroke gas mix oil works well, also. Not the
gasoline mix, just the oil.

Yeah, the problem was just that after 25 years it just had
no effective lube left. One bearing was completely dry. So
I cleaned all the dust and crud out, added a fair amount of
oil, and now it works fine.

By the way, these fans are really nice if you find one
that's still in one piece (the feet tend to break off).
This is the 7-blade original Kool Operator, not the current
5-blade version, which gets bad reviews. The old one's Low
setting is just perfect - moves a moderate amount of air at
very low noise, which is what you want 99% of the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2014 12:41 PM, Peabody wrote:
Yeah, the problem was just that after 25 years it just had
no effective lube left. One bearing was completely dry. So
I cleaned all the dust and crud out, added a fair amount of
oil, and now it works fine.

By the way, these fans are really nice if you find one
that's still in one piece (the feet tend to break off).
This is the 7-blade original Kool Operator, not the current
5-blade version, which gets bad reviews. The old one's Low
setting is just perfect - moves a moderate amount of air at
very low noise, which is what you want 99% of the time.

Sounds like a good old work horse. I dragged out a
box fan I got a long time ago, and of course had to
spray clean with some brake cleaner, and reoil. Good
for a couple years more.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 at 6:32:17 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/27/2014 12:41 PM, Peabody wrote:
Yeah, the problem was just that after 25 years it just had
no effective lube left. One bearing was completely dry. So
I cleaned all the dust and crud out, added a fair amount of
oil, and now it works fine.

By the way, these fans are really nice if you find one
that's still in one piece (the feet tend to break off).
This is the 7-blade original Kool Operator, not the current
5-blade version, which gets bad reviews. The old one's Low
setting is just perfect - moves a moderate amount of air at
very low noise, which is what you want 99% of the time.

Sounds like a good old work horse. I dragged out a
box fan I got a long time ago, and of course had to
spray clean with some brake cleaner, and reoil. Good
for a couple years more.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Just tore apart my old Kool Operator. Probably close to 15 years old. Got it taken apart (thanks for the tips) and oiled up, but it seems I let it get too hot and blew the thermal fuse buried in the motor connector. Has anyone taken it down to bare bones and seen the rating of the thermal fuse? I assume that is what is hiding in the side pocket of the connections for the windings. The white lead shows open inside the motor on the wire holder/connector. Maybe I'd be safe with a 100 degree C unit since the nameplate says Class B (130 C) insulation. Loved it when it worked; the low setting was quiet enough not to bother my sleeping; moves a lot of air. Another "new" fan is much too loud. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Peabody, david j anthony wrote:
where does one find the replacement blade?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...an-805896-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Peabody, tucsonics wrote:
As engineers, Lakewood would know that more blades and lower speed = quieter
operation. I suppose they went to a 5 blade because of lower cost to make or a
patent issue. I've been trying to find a replacement motor for mine, which has
an open winding, or something. Anyway, it won't turn and it's lubricated ok.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-805896-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Peabody, Mike Burns wrote:
Missing the knob in the rear of my Lakewood Kool Operator JR fan. Where may I
obtain one?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-805896-.htm