Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Corroded Batteries

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2014 11:36 AM, Oren wrote:
I'd also try a solution of water /
baking soda in the tube to cut some
of the corrosion. YMMV

I'd admit, I'd not considered a carbonate
to remove alkaline. I might have tried
vinegar.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 15, 2014 2:15:26 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/15/2014 11:36 AM, Oren wrote: I'd also try a solution of water / baking soda in the tube to cut some of the corrosion. YMMV I'd admit, I'd not considered a carbonate to remove alkaline. I might have tried vinegar. -- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .

Lube it up as above and screw a small lag bolt in it. Tug it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2014 2:28 PM, Thomas wrote:

Lube it up as above and screw a small lag bolt in it. Tug it out.

OP wrote there are three AA cells in a tube.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2014 5:27 PM, Oren wrote:
Being ALKALINE batteries, a mixture of vinegar and hot water will
likely be more effective.

Doh! I've got car battery corrosion on the brain.

Have an old military flashlight that is copper inside the tube with a
minor corrosion spot. Because tomatoes are acidic I may try ketchup
(catsup) :-\

Thanks for the correction (Chirs too)

If the corrosion isn't "too far" into the tube,
a plumbers fitting brush might help.

Or some sand screen, and your longest couple
fingers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:55:45 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

My turn, again. Eight D cells, Rayovac,
new in the package. Bunch of liquid and
crystaline white inside the package.
Best before Dec 14, still in date even.

If Rayovac batteries keep leaking, why do you keep buying them?

My experience is the "best used before date" means nothing.
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My turn, again. Eight D cells, Rayovac,
new in the package. Bunch of liquid and
crystaline white inside the package.
Best before Dec 14, still in date even.

If Rayovac batteries keep leaking, why do you keep buying them?

My experience is the "best used before date" means nothing.

These were purchased in 2008, and hadn't leaked in
the last batch of leakers. They did send me a bunch
of ROV coupons, so I got more. Which have not yet
been an issue.

Have you stopped beating your wife, yet?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 15, 2014 11:24:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three

corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents

"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded

batteries?

1) screw an eye bolt in the tail of the last battery. use cord as DIY slide hammer to pull the last battery out. Hope that the other two aren't as stuck

2) remove both head and tail from battery tube, if possible, and use a dowel to knock the batteries out of the tube

for cleanup I have found that after flushing with water, Deoxit will get most of the nastiness out. If you need mechanical cleaning some scotchbrite (rip off small squares and push through with dowel etc.) may help. I'd definitely spray down with deoxit after finishing. Maybe even Boeshield T-9 or similar if this is a "hard use" light but only on the battery tube not on electronics (if any - I'm assuming that this is a modern LED light or you wouldn't be going through the trouble.)

Grease the threads and O-rings with Super Lube, Sil-Glyde, something like that.

and ditch the alkalines! Energizer Lithiums for primaries, or LSD NiMH for rechargeables (Sanyo Eneloop, Duracell Ion Core (which are supposedly rebranded Eneloop XX for an excellent price, and readily available in stores now), Maha Imedion, Tenergy Centura, etc.) Otherwise this will just happen again...

If the cells are well and truly stuck, if you can determine or already know what brand they are (and it's a major brand), contact the cell manufacturer, they may buy you a new light.

nate

Video showing heavy flour in AA batteries: any way for layman to testNiMH batteries? Amanda Riphnykhazova Electronics Repair 24 October 27th 13 07:33 PM
corroded battery removal Frank Thompson[_2_] Home Repair 6 May 25th 13 07:20 PM
Maglite with corroded batteries zxcvbob Home Repair 33 May 21st 10 02:45 AM
Corroded pipe in wall john UK diy 10 July 17th 05 03:44 PM
Rejuvenate corroded faucet? Walter R. Home Repair 6 April 18th 05 06:53 AM