DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Corroded Batteries (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/373478-corroded-batteries.html)

[email protected] August 15th 14 04:24 PM

Corroded Batteries

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

Oren[_2_] August 15th 14 04:36 PM

Corroded Batteries

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:24:31 -0400, wrote:

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

I presume the batteries are swollen, prevents removal.

You might try drilling the center of the batteries, making
progressively larger holes and then try to collapse the batteries so
you can pull them out.

I'd also try a solution of water / baking soda in the tube to cut some
of the corrosion. YMMV

Percival P. Cassidy August 15th 14 04:55 PM

Corroded Batteries

On 08/15/14 11:24 am, wrote:

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

If you know what make the batteries are, do you know if they are
supposedly "guaranteed leak-proof"? Many years ago I had a flashlight
replaced free when the supposedly leak-proof Ray-o-Vac batteries ruined it.

So *maybe* you don't need to get the old batteries out.

Perce

Stormin Mormon[_10_] August 15th 14 07:14 PM

Corroded Batteries

On 8/15/2014 11:24 AM, wrote:
I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

Sad to hear. Do you know the brand and type
of batteries? Alkalines remove differently
than carbon zincs.

I've sent back flash light with corroded
Duracell, and they sent me a debit card to
buy myself another light. (Note: Card only
works three times, and I lost the rest of
the balance.)

Rayovac had some leak (new in package) and
they sent me a load of high value coupons
(up to ten bucks, some fives, and some singles)
which I used to buy more batteries.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] August 15th 14 07:15 PM

Corroded Batteries

On 8/15/2014 11:36 AM, Oren wrote:
I'd also try a solution of water /
baking soda in the tube to cut some
of the corrosion. YMMV

I'd admit, I'd not considered a carbonate
to remove alkaline. I might have tried
vinegar.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Thomas August 15th 14 07:28 PM

Corroded Batteries

On Friday, August 15, 2014 2:15:26 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/15/2014 11:36 AM, Oren wrote: I'd also try a solution of water / baking soda in the tube to cut some of the corrosion. YMMV I'd admit, I'd not considered a carbonate to remove alkaline. I might have tried vinegar. -- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .

Lube it up as above and screw a small lag bolt in it. Tug it out.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] August 15th 14 07:30 PM

Corroded Batteries

On 8/15/2014 2:28 PM, Thomas wrote:

Lube it up as above and screw a small lag bolt in it. Tug it out.

OP wrote there are three AA cells in a tube.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] August 15th 14 07:38 PM

Corroded Batteries

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 08:36:03 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:24:31 -0400, wrote:

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

I presume the batteries are swollen, prevents removal.

You might try drilling the center of the batteries, making
progressively larger holes and then try to collapse the batteries so
you can pull them out.

I'd also try a solution of water / baking soda in the tube to cut some
of the corrosion. YMMV

Being ALKALINE batteries, a mixture of vinegar and hot water will
likely be more effective.

Oren[_2_] August 15th 14 10:27 PM

Corroded Batteries

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:38:42 -0400, wrote:

I'd also try a solution of water / baking soda in the tube to cut some
of the corrosion. YMMV

Being ALKALINE batteries, a mixture of vinegar and hot water will
likely be more effective.

Doh! I've got car battery corrosion on the brain.

Have an old military flashlight that is copper inside the tube with a
minor corrosion spot. Because tomatoes are acidic I may try ketchup
(catsup) :-\

Thanks for the correction (Chirs too)

philo [_2_] August 15th 14 11:31 PM

Corroded Batteries

On 08/15/2014 10:24 AM, wrote:
I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

I assure you, the light is now shot...toss it.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] August 16th 14 12:14 AM

Corroded Batteries

On 8/15/2014 5:27 PM, Oren wrote:
Being ALKALINE batteries, a mixture of vinegar and hot water will
likely be more effective.

Doh! I've got car battery corrosion on the brain.

Have an old military flashlight that is copper inside the tube with a
minor corrosion spot. Because tomatoes are acidic I may try ketchup
(catsup) :-\

Thanks for the correction (Chirs too)

If the corrosion isn't "too far" into the tube,
a plumbers fitting brush might help.

Or some sand screen, and your longest couple
fingers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] August 16th 14 04:55 PM

Corroded Batteries

On 8/15/2014 11:24 AM, wrote:
I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

My turn, again. Eight D cells, Rayovac,
new in the package. Bunch of liquid and
crystaline white inside the package.
Best before Dec 14, still in date even.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Oren[_2_] August 16th 14 10:44 PM

Corroded Batteries

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:55:45 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

My turn, again. Eight D cells, Rayovac,
new in the package. Bunch of liquid and
crystaline white inside the package.
Best before Dec 14, still in date even.

If Rayovac batteries keep leaking, why do you keep buying them?

My experience is the "best used before date" means nothing.
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small

Stormin Mormon[_10_] August 16th 14 11:06 PM

Corroded Batteries

wrote:

My turn, again. Eight D cells, Rayovac,
new in the package. Bunch of liquid and
crystaline white inside the package.
Best before Dec 14, still in date even.

If Rayovac batteries keep leaking, why do you keep buying them?

My experience is the "best used before date" means nothing.

These were purchased in 2008, and hadn't leaked in
the last batch of leakers. They did send me a bunch
of ROV coupons, so I got more. Which have not yet
been an issue.

Have you stopped beating your wife, yet?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] August 16th 14 11:42 PM

Corroded Batteries

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 08:36:03 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:24:31 -0400, wrote:

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

I presume the batteries are swollen, prevents removal.

You might try drilling the center of the batteries, making
progressively larger holes and then try to collapse the batteries so
you can pull them out.

I'd also try a solution of water / baking soda in the tube to cut some
of the corrosion. YMMV

I usually buy Duracell batteries, assume that is my noted situation.

If I can get the batteries out, is thaere a suggestion as to how I
might protect the battery tube, before putting in new batteries?

Oren[_2_] August 17th 14 12:28 AM

Corroded Batteries

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 18:42:28 -0400, wrote:

I usually buy Duracell batteries, assume that is my noted situation.

If I can get the batteries out, is thaere a suggestion as to how I
might protect the battery tube, before putting in new batteries?

I really do not have a viable answer for you Rob.

Perhaps spray inside the tube with a clear lacquer spray?

Contacts are not like they used to be in military lights using copper
components in the tube.

I presume various metals are subject to different degrees of
corrosion.

Tekkie® October 13th 14 12:03 AM

Corroded Batteries Discussed before but...

posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

Send it back to the battery manufacturer and they will either repair it or
send you a check for an equivalent model.

--
Tekkie

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 13th 14 11:08 AM

On 10/12/2014 7:03 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three
corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents
"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded
batteries?

Send it back to the battery manufacturer and they will either repair it or
send you a check for an equivalent model.

The big three do have warranties. I've used the
Duracell warranty twice. And had some Rayovac
leakers (not in lights). Both companies have
been good about the replacements.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

N8N[_2_] October 13th 14 05:19 PM

Corroded Batteries

On Friday, August 15, 2014 11:24:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a fairly expensive flash light. Unfortunately it now has three

corroded AA batteies, in the "power tube". That corrosion prevents

"easy" removal / replacement.

Might one have a suggestion as to how I might remove the corroded

batteries?

1) screw an eye bolt in the tail of the last battery. use cord as DIY slide hammer to pull the last battery out. Hope that the other two aren't as stuck

2) remove both head and tail from battery tube, if possible, and use a dowel to knock the batteries out of the tube

for cleanup I have found that after flushing with water, Deoxit will get most of the nastiness out. If you need mechanical cleaning some scotchbrite (rip off small squares and push through with dowel etc.) may help. I'd definitely spray down with deoxit after finishing. Maybe even Boeshield T-9 or similar if this is a "hard use" light but only on the battery tube not on electronics (if any - I'm assuming that this is a modern LED light or you wouldn't be going through the trouble.)

Grease the threads and O-rings with Super Lube, Sil-Glyde, something like that.

and ditch the alkalines! Energizer Lithiums for primaries, or LSD NiMH for rechargeables (Sanyo Eneloop, Duracell Ion Core (which are supposedly rebranded Eneloop XX for an excellent price, and readily available in stores now), Maha Imedion, Tenergy Centura, etc.) Otherwise this will just happen again...

If the cells are well and truly stuck, if you can determine or already know what brand they are (and it's a major brand), contact the cell manufacturer, they may buy you a new light.

nate