Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair

Default My car goes jingle, jingle, jingle.

Shifted my car into gear for the fist time since the accident. When I
went back to Park, heard noise like gears messhing, or synchronizers not
syncing. What does this indicate? A serious problem? Needs fixing
immediately???
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

Shifted my car into gear for the fist time since the accident. When I
went back to Park, heard noise like gears messhing, or synchronizers not
syncing. What does this indicate? A serious problem? Needs fixing
immediately???

Just so you don't feel alone and know it can always be worse...

Two weeks ago I was shifting gears in my work car - clang, jingle , chugga
chugga including metal sounds. Engine dies. Turns over fine but won't
start. All symptoms of broken timing belt. Of course most engines now are
interference type. I know this. That's why I had timing belt changed 10k
miles ago when due. Pro mechanic I've known for 10 years and always have
work done by checked it out after I had it towed. Engine junk. He could
tell by listening while cranking that pistons hit valves and maybe broken
rod.

Opt to replace engine with used one. For the hell of it he pulls timing
covers off. Not broken belt but chewed up. One of the pulleys committed
suicide. Parts went between belt and gears causing it to jump. Same result
as broken belt.
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

[...]

No , actually that's worse than a broken belt . When the belt breaks , only
the valves that are open are hammered . If the cam (s) keep turning out of
time , they ALL get chewed up .

--
Snag

Senior Member

OK, I give up.

What is gained by designing interference into the engine?

Is it just that engines can rev faster and therefore produce more power at high rpms?

It seems to me that if I had my druthers, I'd druther have a car with a non-interference engine and make do with a bit less power.

Last edited by nestork : August 14th 14 at 03:24 AM
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:16:47 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
micky wrote in
:

Shifted my car into gear for the fist time since the accident. When
I went back to Park, heard noise like gears [not] messhing, or
[...]

Well, I guess this does make me feel less alone, and better.

Yes, it can always get worse.

Thank you both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 04:21:13 +0200, nestork
wrote:

OK, I give up.

What is gained by designing interference into the engine?

Is it just that engines can rev faster and therefore produce more power
at high rpms?

It seems to me that if I had my druthers, I'd druther have a car with a
non-interference engine and make do with a bit less power.

Me too.

So far all my Lebarons and this 2000 Solara did not have interference
engines, though I admit I didnt' check before I bought this last car. I
should have.

I actually had a timing belt break. I was about to take my elderly
mother home from the dentist. But in a few minutes her dentist or
another one came out, and I talked him into taking her. Only 3 miles
plus 3 more if he had to come back. Then a tow truck drove by and I
had it towed a mile to the gas station near me -- lucky me -- who
repaired it. Next time not so lucky, blew engine on way home from
vacation. Had to buy a car where I was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, I give up.

What is gained by designing interference into the engine?

Is it just that engines can rev faster and therefore produce more power
at high rpms?

It seems to me that if I had my druthers, I'd druther have a car with a
non-interference engine and make do with a bit less power.

Interference engines can have higher valve lift and higher
compression ratios without requiring super complicated engineering, -
means more HP and lower cost - generally speaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:41:48 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

"nestork" wrote in message ...

OK, I give up.

What is gained by designing interference into the engine?

Is it just that engines can rev faster and therefore produce more power
at high rpms?

It seems to me that if I had my druthers, I'd druther have a car with a
non-interference engine and make do with a bit less power.

The story I heard (no idea if true...) is that it makes for a smaller engine.

My question is.... if a broken timing belt can do this much damage (I had one break myself), why don't they use timing chains?

Timing belts are lighter, cheaper, and more efficient than chains -
and also can be quieter. Many companies are resorting to chains on
their newer engines. We'll see if they have solved the
lubrication/wear problems that made belts so attractive on overhead
cam engines where 3 1/3 feet of chain had a bad habit of stretching
and rattling (and when they used 2 chains, like the Mitsu/Chrysler 2.6
- over SIX FEET).chain guides and tensioners were constantly requiring
attention.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair

Red Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

micky wrote in
:

Shifted my car into gear for the fist time since the accident. When I
went back to Park, heard noise like gears messhing, or synchronizers not
syncing. What does this indicate? A serious problem? Needs fixing
immediately???

Have it checked out by your mechanic. It is hidden damage and you will have
to get a supplemental on it. The body shop should have fixed it properly but
did not. Maybe they will total it with the additional bux.

Just so you don't feel alone and know it can always be worse...

Two weeks ago I was shifting gears in my work car - clang, jingle , chugga
chugga including metal sounds. Engine dies. Turns over fine but won't
start. All symptoms of broken timing belt. Of course most engines now are
interference type. I know this. That's why I had timing belt changed 10k
miles ago when due. Pro mechanic I've known for 10 years and always have
work done by checked it out after I had it towed. Engine junk. He could
tell by listening while cranking that pistons hit valves and maybe broken
rod.

Opt to replace engine with used one. For the hell of it he pulls timing
covers off. Not broken belt but chewed up. One of the pulleys committed
suicide. Parts went between belt and gears causing it to jump. Same result
as broken belt.

This is why manufacturers have "kits" for t/b r&r. It may include water
pumps, etc. Obviously the parts replacer did not use the kit nor perform a
proper repair.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:54:53 -0400, micky
wrote:

Shifted my car into gear for the fist time since the accident. When I
went back to Park, heard noise like gears messhing, or synchronizers not
syncing. What does this indicate? A serious problem? Needs fixing
immediately???

Meant to finish this thread a while back.

After I thought about this for a while, I realized that since my right
front axle was broken in half at the internal universal, when the car
was in Reverse, even though it wasn't moving, the transmission parts
were turning, at idle speed. It was like the right tire was off the
ground.

So since the parts were turning in R, slow as they might have been,
shifting to Park is going to be more difficult than when the car is
actually stopped and the transimisson is stopped too.

And sure enough, I was right. When I replaced the right front axle etc.
and lowered the car to the ground, no more jingle jingle. Sounds just
fine. I drove around the block and it seems just fine, though the right
REAR wheel is also messed up. Needs a forwrd lower locating arm. Mine
is bent about 25^.