Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My car goes jingle, jingle, jingle.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 04:21:13 +0200, nestork
wrote:

OK, I give up.

What is gained by designing interference into the engine?

Is it just that engines can rev faster and therefore produce more power
at high rpms?

It seems to me that if I had my druthers, I'd druther have a car with a
non-interference engine and make do with a bit less power.

Interference engines can have higher valve lift and higher
compression ratios without requiring super complicated engineering, -
means more HP and lower cost - generally speaking.