Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric fan motor re-re-re-repair

I've got a table top oscillating fan that's been in the
family for maybe twenty years. Used it yesterday to blow
dry a room that took a bit of rain. Ran a few hours and
warmed up, the fan stopped.

If it's the fan I think, my dad had oiled it several
times, and twice for me.

Has anyone tried cleaning the whole thing out with
oven cleaner, or non acid refrigeration coil cleaner,
and then let it totally dry and re-oil it? I suspect
the old oil and petroleum is finding its way to the
bearings, repeatedly.

Yes, I could buy another fan, but who has money these
days? Not me!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:29:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I've got a table top oscillating fan that's been in the
family for maybe twenty years. Used it yesterday to blow
dry a room that took a bit of rain. Ran a few hours and
warmed up, the fan stopped.

If it's the fan I think, my dad had oiled it several
times, and twice for me.

Has anyone tried cleaning the whole thing out with
oven cleaner, or non acid refrigeration coil cleaner,
and then let it totally dry and re-oil it? I suspect
the old oil and petroleum is finding its way to the
bearings, repeatedly.

Yes, I could buy another fan, but who has money these
days? Not me!

Last thing I'd use is oven cleaner. There are some electrical contact
cleaners in a spray can that would probably work. They won't harm
anything or leave residue. Worst case though, is you cause the
present glop to run and spread to someplace it should not.

CRC and Gunk both make a motor cleaner in spray cans, about $10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

+1 on the oven cleaner, which contains lye.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2014 11:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:29:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon
Has anyone tried cleaning the whole thing out with
oven cleaner, or non acid refrigeration coil cleaner,
and then let it totally dry and re-oil it? I suspect
the old oil and petroleum is finding its way to the
bearings, repeatedly.

Last thing I'd use is oven cleaner. There are some electrical contact
cleaners in a spray can that would probably work. They won't harm
anything or leave residue. Worst case though, is you cause the
present glop to run and spread to someplace it should not.

CRC and Gunk both make a motor cleaner in spray cans, about $10.

Oven cleaner should remove grease residue, with minimal
damage to metals.

I tried some last couple drops of trichlor I had,
yesterday. The fan isn't worth a ten dollar can of
spray. If I use the fan again in the next few days
(very likely) will see how it goes. I might invest
a two dollar can of brake cleaner, or carb cleaner.
Ten for CRC is more than the fan is worth.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin Mormon[_10_] View Post
Oven cleaner should remove grease residue, with minimal
damage to metals.
No, oven cleaner shouldn't affect a petroleum based oil at all. That is, cleaning the fan motor with oven cleaner probably wouldn't be any more effective than cleaning it with KoolAid or chicken soup.

Oven cleaner is NaOH. It works well to clean ovens and grills because it breaks TRIGLYCERIDES (which is what animal fats and vegetable oils are) into soap molecules in a chemical process called "saponification". And, soap molecules are easy to clean up because they're soluble in water.

What's important to note is that those animal fats and vegetable oils have carboxyl groups in their fatty acids. That's the -O-(C=O)- groups in the diagram of a triglyceride at the top of this web page:
Triglyceride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and the NaOH reacts at the carboxyl groups to break the triglyceride into a molecule of glycerine and three soap molecules.

Petroleum oils are a completely different thing. Petroleum based oils don't have those carboxyl groups in them, and therefore that same saponification reaction can't occur. I expect that the lye wouldn't react with a petroleum based oil at all, or at least there's no way the NaOH would react with petroleum based oils in the same way it reacts with cooking oils.

If someone wants to use oven cleaner to clean some motor oil off a surface, I'd like to hear what the results are. I expect the oven cleaner will be found to do nothing at all to the motor oil, or nothing more than KoolAid or chicken soup would do.

Last edited by nestork : July 31st 14 at 02:35 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a table top oscillating fan that's been in the
family for maybe twenty years. Used it yesterday to blow
dry a room that took a bit of rain. Ran a few hours and
warmed up, the fan stopped.

If it's the fan I think, my dad had oiled it several
times, and twice for me.

Has anyone tried cleaning the whole thing out with
oven cleaner, or non acid refrigeration coil cleaner,
and then let it totally dry and re-oil it? I suspect
the old oil and petroleum is finding its way to the
bearings, repeatedly.

Yes, I could buy another fan, but who has money these
days? Not me!

Aside from dissambly, I would use something like WD-40 (ha) first, then use
heavier oils. I reoil fans I use often, some which run for days. The thin
spirits in WD -40 ooze out with old gunk.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2014 3:30 AM, gregz wrote:
Aside from dissambly, I would use something like WD-40 (ha) first, then use
heavier oils. I reoil fans I use often, some which run for days. The thin
spirits in WD -40 ooze out with old gunk.

Greg

Today I got two small bottles of oil for
electric motors. Might try that some time,
after blasting the old out with some thing.
I may have some brake cleaner in cans, try
that. Cheap enough.

Will also look for close out and clearance
on fans, in case this one goes out again.

--
..
Christopher A. Young