PSI

Default Electric fan motor repair

My faithful oscillating fan has given up the ghost. I know I can
go buy a new one but I like tinkering and fixing things so I'm looking
for some help.

The facts:

1) Its a three speed table fan with thermal protection that is about
20 years old.

2) There is no hum indicating its trying to spin and giving it a hand
doesn't help.

3) I removed the capacitor and tested with a multi-meter on the ohm
range. The "resistance" increases steadily to a large number and then
goes to zero ( its a 4 uf 230V cap ). I think this means its OK??

4) There is a "device" in the circuit coming from the neutral to the
cap (ie . white--- "device" --- cap ). Its tied with string on top
of the winding and inside a clear plastic sleeve, is cylindrical in
shape with one end pointed and coloured orange. There are some
markings on it but I can't read them without removing it first). The
AC voltage before the "device" is 115V. Voltage after the " device"
is 11V.

Is this the thermal-protection? If so does this indicate it's fired
and should be replaced? ( I haven't tried to bypass it because it
means snipping some more wires)

5) Near as I can tell there arre no "brush's " but I haven't fully
dissasembled ( because I don't figured how to get some of the parts
off :-)

Most important: I'm reasonably handy but my electronics/motor
knowledge is basic high-school level( ie I know what a stator,
rotor,armature,commucator etc. are but not sure I can relaibly tell
you if its a split-phase, or induction etc type motor )

Any suggestions are appreciated

Frank

indago

040829 2355 - PSI posted:

[...]

The "device" should be by-passed and see if the motor will run then. You
can always add some wires to resolder the "device" back into the circuit.

Stormin Mormon

More inserted.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"PSI" wrote in message
My faithful oscillating fan has given up the ghost. I know I can
go buy a new one but I like tinkering and fixing things so I'm looking
for some help.

The facts:

1) Its a three speed table fan with thermal protection that is about
20 years old.
SM: Well, a 20 year old fan, you got your use out of it.

2) There is no hum indicating its trying to spin and giving it a hand
doesn't help.
CY: That's highly signifigant.

3) I removed the capacitor and tested with a multi-meter on the ohm
range. The "resistance" increases steadily to a large number and then
goes to zero ( its a 4 uf 230V cap ). I think this means its OK??
SM: With a swing meter VOM, on ohms, a good cap will jump the meter and then
settle back down towards infinity. Reversing hte leads on the cap will do
the same.

4) There is a "device" in the circuit coming from the neutral to the
cap (ie . white--- "device" --- cap ). Its tied with string on top
of the winding and inside a clear plastic sleeve, is cylindrical in
shape with one end pointed and coloured orange. There are some
markings on it but I can't read them without removing it first). The
AC voltage before the "device" is 115V. Voltage after the " device"
is 11V.

Is this the thermal-protection? If so does this indicate it's fired
and should be replaced? ( I haven't tried to bypass it because it
means snipping some more wires)
CY: Yes, sure sounds like a thermal fuse to me.

5) Near as I can tell there arre no "brush's " but I haven't fully
dissasembled ( because I don't figured how to get some of the parts
off :-)
CY: Don't have to. Take a bottle of Zoom Spout Turbine oil and give it a
squirt where the shaft goes in, on both ends of the armature. If you don't
have turbine oil. straight weight 30 (look for ND-30 at the auto parts
store) works nicely.

Most important: I'm reasonably handy but my electronics/motor
knowledge is basic high-school level( ie I know what a stator,
rotor,armature,commucator etc. are but not sure I can relaibly tell
you if its a split-phase, or induction etc type motor )
SM: Doesn't much matter. Snip the pointy haired boss out (I mean pointy end
thingie) and oil the motor shaft.

Any suggestions are appreciated
SM: Use a butt connector to connect the wires aft4er you snip the thermal
out. Be sure to oil the shaft before you turn it back on. Dried out oil can
cause over heating.

Frank

Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a thermal fuse to me. Some appliance parts places h ave them.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"indago" wrote in message
040829 2355 - PSI posted:

The "device" should be by-passed and see if the motor will run then. You
can always add some wires to resolder the "device" back into the circuit.

PSI

Replaced the "device", which I now understand is correctly called a
thermal fuse, cleaned out the dried grease and dust, applied some
"electric motor oil" to the shaft and the fan is blowing again -
maybe another 20 years.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Frank

indago

040831 0034 - PSI posted:

Replaced the "device", which I now understand is correctly called a
thermal fuse, cleaned out the dried grease and dust, applied some
"electric motor oil" to the shaft and the fan is blowing again -
maybe another 20 years.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Frank

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it all turned out.

Stormin Mormon

Y'welcome. Please remit $48.50 for consultation.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus