Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater wisdom, lesson learned

Got a call from some friends to light a gas water
heater. This one had spark igniter, had the push
button clicker like on fancy gas grills.

I rotated the top gas valve to pilot, pushed down.
Pushed the clicker a few times.

One of the residents had Youtube research gas
light. I didn't know the new gas valves, the
temp control on the side has to be turned far
to one end "light the pilot" temperature, for
it to work.

One more thing to know when lighting water heater.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:27:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Got a call from some friends to light a gas water
heater. This one had spark igniter, had the push
button clicker like on fancy gas grills.

I rotated the top gas valve to pilot, pushed down.
Pushed the clicker a few times.

One of the residents had Youtube research gas
light. I didn't know the new gas valves, the
temp control on the side has to be turned far
to one end "light the pilot" temperature, for
it to work.

One more thing to know when lighting water heater.

Any gas appliance; say, a WH, a grill or a gas fireplace, have
instructions on a label. At least in the last 20 years, for sure?

I did once "bleed" the air from a black pipe gas line on a WH. Smelled
the odor and immediately turned the ball valve off - connected the
flexible gas line and followed the instructions on the label. WH fired
right up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2014 2:08 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:27:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Any gas appliance; say, a WH, a grill or a gas fireplace, have
instructions on a label. At least in the last 20 years, for sure?

I did once "bleed" the air from a black pipe gas line on a WH. Smelled
the odor and immediately turned the ball valve off - connected the
flexible gas line and followed the instructions on the label. WH fired
right up.

Being male, I didn't look on the WH for
instructions.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:49:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/22/2014 2:08 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:27:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Any gas appliance; say, a WH, a grill or a gas fireplace, have
instructions on a label. At least in the last 20 years, for sure?

I did once "bleed" the air from a black pipe gas line on a WH. Smelled
the odor and immediately turned the ball valve off - connected the
flexible gas line and followed the instructions on the label. WH fired
right up.

Being male, I didn't look on the WH for
instructions.

You would if you had a bride wantin' to wash her "junk" right away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2014 3:01 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:49:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon
flexible gas line and followed the instructions on the label. WH fired
right up.

Being male, I didn't look on the WH for
instructions.

You would if you had a bride wantin' to wash her "junk" right away.

Since you know me so well, what did I have
for breakfast?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:08:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Since you know me so well, what did I have
for breakfast?

Chex Mix.

Then you fixed the WH?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Since you know me so well, what did I have
for breakfast?

Chex Mix.

Then you fixed the WH?

Actually, it was a pack of cheese and peanut
butter crackers from Dollar Tree, but you were
close.

Fixed the WH yesterday evening.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:44:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Fixed the WH yesterday evening.

.... it is what it is
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Got a call from some friends to light a gas water
heater. This one had spark igniter, had the push
button clicker like on fancy gas grills.

I rotated the top gas valve to pilot, pushed down.
Pushed the clicker a few times.

One of the residents had Youtube research gas
light. I didn't know the new gas valves, the
temp control on the side has to be turned far
to one end "light the pilot" temperature, for
it to work.

One more thing to know when lighting water heater.

You're also supposed to wait 5 minutes for any gas to clear before lighting.
Doesn't it have instructions on the tank for lighting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2014 2:08 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:27:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Any gas appliance; say, a WH, a grill or a gas fireplace, have
instructions on a label. At least in the last 20 years, for sure?

I did once "bleed" the air from a black pipe gas line on a WH. Smelled
the odor and immediately turned the ball valve off - connected the
flexible gas line and followed the instructions on the label. WH fired
right up.

Being male, I didn't look on the WH for
instructions.

That would explain why I read the instructions. Mine also has a plastic
pocket that holds paperwork with instructions. I actually sat down there
the last time I lit it and read them all. Now I know how to look at the
light blinks to determine what if any problem, there is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2014 3:56 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

You're also supposed to wait 5 minutes for any gas to clear before
lighting. Doesn't it have instructions on the tank for lighting?

There was some kind of sticker on the tank,
but I didn't read it. I've done a lot of
these relights.

--
..
Christopher A. Young