Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What tools can I use to sharpen these kitchen knives?

On 2014-07-23, notbob wrote:

I should receive my Accusharp 001 sharpener tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-00.../dp/B00004VWKQ

Gotta ancient Buck 110 folding hunter I'm dying to try it on. I
woulda never given this sharpener a 2nd glance, until I saw EriK
Salitan (Life Below Zero) sharpening his skinning knife with an
Accusharp. Skinning knives gotta be sharp. Plus, it gets rave
reviews all around the web. We'll see. I'll reply tomorrow.

Got it. Used it. Favorably impressed.

Original Buck blade steel is no easy chore to sharpen. This sharpener
did it with ease. You can feel --and see-- the results of the metal
removed from knife blade. After NOT sharpening this knife for
decades, it was down to letter opener duty. With jes a few passes
with the Accusharp, it's now sharper than it was. Is it "scary
sharp"? No. But, it is "cut tomatoes" sharp, something this knife
has not been in years. I recall pooh-poohing a food prep cook for
using a similar Henkels or Wustof carbide sharpener in a restaurant
kitchen. Silly me. They really work.

Based on price, convenience, and efficacy, I'd recommend this
sharpener to anyone looking for a cheap, easy to use, practical knife
sharpener.

nb