Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leaking bathroom sink faucet

I have changed the washer several times, but it still leaks, and not just a
drip now and then. Is there a seat that can be replaced? How do I tell? I
don't even know what brand this is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 08:48:15 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

I have changed the washer several times, but it still leaks, and not just a
drip now and then. Is there a seat that can be replaced? How do I tell? I
don't even know what brand this is.

See:

_How To Fix Seven Types Of Leaky Faucets_

https://tinyurl.com/ompl7sj

Or

http://wetheadmedia.com/how-to-fix-seven-types-of-leaky-faucets/

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Pico Rico" wrote:

I have changed the washer several times, but it still leaks, and not just a
drip now and then. Is there a seat that can be replaced? How do I tell? I
don't even know what brand this is.

Pico-

Look inside the faucet when you remove the washer. If there is a square
or hexagonal hole, the seat may unscrew using a square or hexagonal
valve seat wrench.

If not, there is a tool that will reface the existing seat.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...w-to-repair-a-
faucet2.htm

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pico Rico" wrote:

I have changed the washer several times, but it still leaks, and not just
drip now and then. Is there a seat that can be replaced? How do I tell?
don't even know what brand this is.

Pico-

Look inside the faucet when you remove the washer. If there is a square
or hexagonal hole, the seat may unscrew using a square or hexagonal
valve seat wrench.

If not, there is a tool that will reface the existing seat.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...w-to-repair-a-
faucet2.htm

yes, I am trying to remove and replace the seat with the valve seat wrench -
I can see it is "chipped". But it is not coming out. And my easy-out is
too short.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pico Rico" wrote:

I have changed the washer several times, but it still leaks, and not just
drip now and then. Is there a seat that can be replaced? How do I tell?
don't even know what brand this is.

Pico-

Look inside the faucet when you remove the washer. If there is a square
or hexagonal hole, the seat may unscrew using a square or hexagonal
valve seat wrench.

If not, there is a tool that will reface the existing seat.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...w-to-repair-a-
faucet2.htm

yes, I am trying to remove and replace the seat with the valve seat wrench -
I can see it is "chipped". But it is not coming out. And my easy-out is
too short.

Soak the seat in a penetrating oil spray. Liquid wrench, et. al. Allow
it to soak overnight. Try again. Tap the tool, causing a little
vibration on the of the seat.

Take the seat with you to the plumbing supply shop counter guy that is
waiting on you. Say "Give one of these." How much :-\

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico Rico View Post
I have changed the washer several times, but it still leaks, and not just a
drip now and then. Is there a seat that can be replaced? How do I tell? I
don't even know what brand this is.
The seats on most faucets can be replaced.

However, if you're having a fight getting the seat out, I would just try using a bevelled washer instead of a flat washer so that you close on a different surface on your existing seat.

http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagereq...&ne wsize=200

Or just enter "beveled plumbing washer" in Google Images.

Any place that sells flat washers should also sell bevelled washers as an assortment.

That'd be the quickest and easiest fix if it works. And that all depends on where your seat is "chipped".

Also, an old plumbing "trick" is to put the brass bibb screw through the washer and then grip the threads of the bibb screw behind the washer with a pair of side cutters to muck up the threads of the screw immediately behind the washer.

Then, when you screw the bibb screw into the stem, the screw tightenes up just as soon as the screw head starts to compress the washer cuz of the mucked up screw threads not wanting to go into the female thread of the spindle. That way you don't have to compress your bevelled washer until it's almost flat before the bibb screw tightens.