Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Engineering problem

Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages.

Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off.
I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside down. Put one in, the other won't go.

How were these put together in the first place? Is it just brute force required to put handle back?

Or?...

It isn't the damn individual pail... it's my seeming inability to solve problem!

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/14, 12:16 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages.

Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off.
I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside down. Put one in, the other won't go.

How were these put together in the first place? Is it just brute force required to put handle back?

Or?...

It isn't the damn individual pail... it's my seeming inability to solve problem!

HB

And you'll want to whop yourself upside the head when the answer
magically appears. It's probably a familiar feeling to DIY types.
Myself included, incidentally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2014 1:16 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages.

Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off.
I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside down. Put one in, the other won't go.

How were these put together in the first place? Is it just brute force required to put handle back?

Or?...

It isn't the damn individual pail... it's my seeming inability to solve problem!

HB

It looks as though the automated assembly equipment bends the loop over
_after_ it is inserted in the hole. To repair, I'd partly straighten one
loop, hook the other in place, insert the other one and re-bend it to hold.
But honestly, I don't think that I've had one of those handles come loose
except when I've actually ripped the plastic by doing something like
hauling concrete rubble in the bucket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 10:16:47 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages.

Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off.
I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside down. Put one in, the other won't go.

How were these put together in the first place? Is it just brute force required to put handle back?

Or?...

It isn't the damn individual pail... it's my seeming inability to solve problem!

HB

You'll need to return all the orange buckets to the Home and then
purchase new gray ones from Lowes!!!
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson[_2_] View Post
One side goes in one way; the other upside down. Put one in, the other won't go.
Would flipping the handle onto the other side of the pail solve the problem?

Wouldn't that result in the handle turning "upside down" on the other side?

Also, I would grip the end of the handle with a pair of vice grips and twist it to get it into the pail. The handle is fairly long and can handle quite a bit of torsion before it deforms permanently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages.

Of course it has. I see it each time you post.

Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off.
I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside down. Put one in, the other won't go.

How were these put together in the first place? Is it just brute force required to put handle back?

Fabricated very carefully. Try logic over emotions.

Or?...

It isn't the damn individual pail... it's my seeming inability to solve problem!

HB

Right. You use emotion rather than logic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs,

I don't understand the problem. You can manipulate both the handle and
it's seating point. Pliers and/or a screw driver and you're done. 2 minutes
at most.
This fellow uses clothesline.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru--zSovy9E
He should have put a handle on the clothesline so it won't chafe his hands

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/14, 1:30 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/6/14, 12:16 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages.

Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off.
I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside
down. Put one in, the other won't go.

How were these put together in the first place? Is it just brute
force required to put handle back?

Or?...

It isn't the damn individual pail... it's my seeming inability to
solve problem!

HB

And you'll want to whop yourself upside the head when the answer
magically appears. It's probably a familiar feeling to DIY types.
Myself included, incidentally.

I imagine I'd use pliers to apply torque to the wire. If the ends are
bent in opposite directions, twisting one end wouldn't pop the other end
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Please don't sneer! This has been bugging me for ages.

Orange pails from Home Despot. Carrying handle comes off.
I go to put it back. One side goes in one way; the other upside down.
Put one in, the other won't go.

How were these put together in the first place? Is it just brute force
required to put handle back?

Or?...

It isn't the damn individual pail... it's my seeming inability to solve
problem!

HB

did you save the warranty card?

Senior Member

Well, Higgs, I admire your tenacity.

For a $1.50 pail, most people would have dealt with this issue by throwing the old pail out and buying a new one.