Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal shingles

Guv Bob wrote:
Anyone have experience installing these? Without knowing anything more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

Hi,
My house has them. German made ceramic coated rolled steel, tile looking
product with 50 year transferable warranty. Cost almost 3 times but I
don't need to worry about leak any more in my life time. I passed
concrete tile due to concern for weight and cracks when hail strom hits.
They installed lattice using 1x6 and 2x2, every piece is screwed down.
ridge venting. two man crew took about 10 days from start to finish.
remove old wood shake, lattice install, cut ridge vent, screwing down
all the pieces. It is tested, proven hurricane proof in Florida.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone have experience installing these? Without knowing anything more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
Anyone have experience installing these? Without knowing anything more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

Hi,
My house has them. German made ceramic coated rolled steel, tile looking
product with 50 year transferable warranty. Cost almost 3 times but I
don't need to worry about leak any more in my life time. I passed
concrete tile due to concern for weight and cracks when hail strom hits.
They installed lattice using 1x6 and 2x2, every piece is screwed down.
ridge venting. two man crew took about 10 days from start to finish.
remove old wood shake, lattice install, cut ridge vent, screwing down
all the pieces. It is tested, proven hurricane proof in Florida.

Thanks, TH. Guess I'll have to wait til I win the lottery then. My first choice it wood shakes, like original house but they are not permitted here (S Calif) any longer for new roofs. Lasted 40+ years. Every year for the last 10 years I walked the roof and replaced a 1/2 bundle or fewer each time. But they're all getting worn now plus termites are eating them around the edges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wouldn't you really want a fireproof roof?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Up here shake business almost became extinct after State of Cal. banned
them. Here it is same now, only fire retardant applied shakes are
allowed. Still I can walk on my roof with little care. Old aged cedar
shakes are rare now because old trees are depleted. Shakes from younger
trees don't last long regardless whether they are hand split or not.
Only shake roof is on our dog house. They stay cool and warm with season
change, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Your dogs have it good!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 07:50:52 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote in

Anyone have experience installing these? Without knowing anything more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

They work very well, but are very expensive.
--
I kill-file all messages posted through Google Groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:39:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Wouldn't you really want a fireproof roof?

I was in Germany at New Year's.

Apparently every citizen considers it part of their social responsibility to shoot off fireworks rockets at midnight.

Good thing all the houses have those red clay tile roofs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/23/2014 10:50 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Anyone have experience installing these? Without knowing anything
more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

These guys started making Al (or Cu but you need deep pockets for those)
"shakes" as a sideline to their sprinkler business to keep busy during
slower winter months.

I've not used them; considered them for the barn redo, but decided to
keep the original period-nature instead. They're quite a bit less than
most of the alternative "metal shingle" solutions I've seen; think
they're about $250/sq at the moment...

http://www.reinkeshakes.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 6/23/2014 10:50 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Anyone have experience installing these? Without knowing anything
more than this, they sounds like a good alternative to tile.

These guys started making Al (or Cu but you need deep pockets for those)
"shakes" as a sideline to their sprinkler business to keep busy during
slower winter months.

I've not used them; considered them for the barn redo, but decided to
keep the original period-nature instead. They're quite a bit less than
most of the alternative "metal shingle" solutions I've seen; think
they're about $250/sq at the moment...

http://www.reinkeshakes.com/

Thanks, I like their comparison chart for various materials. Time frames look about right compared with this neighborhood - built in the early 60's. Several wood shake roofs like mine still around. Neighbor who replaced with asphalt about 15 years ago just replaced again this week -- seems odd to me but could be other issues with that one.