Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doublewide homes

So we are slowly rebuilding the outer walls
because the siding is flaking away. (Ants,
cockroaches, crickets found the glue tasty.) This
problem has resulted in water damage to the 2x4s
that make the wall. We don't have a lot of money
so this project will take most of the remaining
summer to complete as we can only afford to do
about four panels (4x8ft) a week. We are also
replacing the wiring as we go, that is adding lots
of expense.

My son had bought me replacement windows for my
bedroom after one was broken last winter. We
decided only one window was needed in the bedroom
and then changed the location of the window to
have the light where we needed it. This has made
the room more comfortable.

Now comes the question. It turns out the interior
paneling has also taken damage and is crumbling
when we try to remove it. So we need to replace
it. Dry wall is _not_ an option. Conditions are
too damp to use dry wall. I hate dry wall anyway,
but I am not real keen on installing new paneling
of any type. Any suggestions? I have considered
hanging plywood and just painting it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vandy Terre wrote:

[...]

FRP? It's a tad expensive, but it's waterproof, washble and easy to work
with. It's also available in various colors special order if the basic
white and almond aren't good. This is the stuff that the food prep areas
in restaurants, bakeries, etc. are covered with, fiberglass reinforced
plastic, as it's easy to wash down with sanitizer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vandy Terre wrote:
[...]

HArdboard might hold up well, and paints well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2014 1:39 PM, Vandy Terre wrote:
[...]

I'd check with local lumber yards, and hardware
stores. There is siding called T-1-11 that some
people use in the North, not sure if that's at all
suited. Wood look paneling comes to mind. Probably
all of those are wood glue products, also.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/14/2014 01:39 PM, Vandy Terre wrote:
So we are slowly rebuilding the outer walls
because the siding is flaking away. (Ants,
cockroaches, crickets found the glue tasty.) This
problem has resulted in water damage to the 2x4s
that make the wall. We don't have a lot of money
so this project will take most of the remaining
summer to complete as we can only afford to do
about four panels (4x8ft) a week. We are also
replacing the wiring as we go, that is adding lots
of expense.

How do you feel about shabby chic?

http://indulgy.com/post/lsCnfa1aD1/c...ed-metal-walls

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:39:12 PM UTC-4, Vandy Terre wrote:
[...]

Before recommending anything, I'd want to know why the conditions
on the interior side of a newly built wall are too damp for drywall.....
If the wall is being constructed properly, that shouldn't be.
And if it is, then it would seem to be a problem not just for
drywall, but for the integrity of the whole job. Think about
what's going to happen inside the wall with damp insulation, wood,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:56:42 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Vandy Terre wrote:
[...]

Tempered hardboard (AKA Masonite) doesn't particularly like moisture
either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vandy Terre wrote:
[...]

I thought otherwise after replacing a many years old shower with walls made of
the stuff, just painted over. It looked like new. Seems like it held up pretty
well. It was the dark brown stuff - maybe I got the name wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 19:21:02 -0700, "Bob F"

wrote:

Vandy Terre wrote:
[...]

I just remenber the masonite fake wood panelling expanding to almost
double thickness down by the floor in a few dank basements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

Plus the moisture probably attributed to original bug infestation.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Iron Mike posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 06/14/2014 01:39 PM, Vandy Terre wrote:
So we are slowly rebuilding the outer walls
because the siding is flaking away. (Ants,
cockroaches, crickets found the glue tasty.) This
problem has resulted in water damage to the 2x4s
that make the wall. We don't have a lot of money
so this project will take most of the remaining
summer to complete as we can only afford to do
about four panels (4x8ft) a week. We are also
replacing the wiring as we go, that is adding lots
of expense.

How do you feel about shabby chic?

http://indulgy.com/post/lsCnfa1aD1/c...ed-metal-walls

Isn't that sorta like the entrance to heaven?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

Vandy Terre wrote:
[...]

I wonder if he is using pressure treated studs to combat the moisture? Of
course the original plan of attack is why and where the moisture is
entering? Maybe a new blue tarp and tires on the roof? Is there any
insulation involved, I doubt it. Maybe contact Habitat for Humanity or other
organizations that could possibly assist him? To the OP this really sounds
like a losing proposition.

--
Tekkie "I know what it's like to be broke" - Billary Clinton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
Iron Mike posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 06/14/2014 01:39 PM, Vandy Terre wrote:
So we are slowly rebuilding the outer walls
because the siding is flaking away. (Ants,
cockroaches, crickets found the glue tasty.) This
problem has resulted in water damage to the 2x4s
that make the wall. We don't have a lot of money
so this project will take most of the remaining
summer to complete as we can only afford to do
about four panels (4x8ft) a week. We are also
replacing the wiring as we go, that is adding lots
of expense.

How do you feel about shabby chic?

http://indulgy.com/post/lsCnfa1aD1/c...ed-metal-walls

Isn't that sorta like the entrance to heaven?

And she's buying the stairway to heaven...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
trader_4 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

Billy The Exterminator says that roaches are attracted to the glue in mobile
homes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
trader_4 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

He would know.

--
Tekkie

WAY OT (but it happens in homes) HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 44 February 10th 12 04:56 PM
Locksmith Los Angeles (877) 364-5264 Homes Re-Keyed Homes Unlocked linkswanted Woodworking 1 December 22nd 08 05:30 PM
1987 homes compare to newer homes kelly Home Repair 13 January 3rd 06 11:12 PM
HUD homes sally Home Ownership 9 February 25th 05 12:01 AM
Transeastern Homes/Ashton Woods Homes in FL CJ Home Ownership 0 February 16th 04 06:27 PM