Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Doublewide homes

trader_4 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:39:12 PM UTC-4, Vandy Terre wrote:
So we are slowly rebuilding the outer walls

because the siding is flaking away. (Ants,

cockroaches, crickets found the glue tasty.) This

problem has resulted in water damage to the 2x4s

that make the wall. We don't have a lot of money

so this project will take most of the remaining

summer to complete as we can only afford to do

about four panels (4x8ft) a week. We are also

replacing the wiring as we go, that is adding lots

of expense.

My son had bought me replacement windows for my

bedroom after one was broken last winter. We

decided only one window was needed in the bedroom

and then changed the location of the window to

have the light where we needed it. This has made

the room more comfortable.

Now comes the question. It turns out the interior

paneling has also taken damage and is crumbling

when we try to remove it. So we need to replace

it. Dry wall is _not_ an option. Conditions are

too damp to use dry wall. I hate dry wall anyway,

but I am not real keen on installing new paneling

of any type. Any suggestions? I have considered

hanging plywood and just painting it.

Before recommending anything, I'd want to know why the conditions
on the interior side of a newly built wall are too damp for drywall.....
If the wall is being constructed properly, that shouldn't be.
And if it is, then it would seem to be a problem not just for
drywall, but for the integrity of the whole job. Think about
what's going to happen inside the wall with damp insulation, wood,
etc.

Plus the moisture probably attributed to original bug infestation.

--
Tekkie