Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OMG I can't believe how crappy consumer laundry equipment is

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:21:51 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/12/2014 12:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
sms wrote:
On 6/10/2014 9:45 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

snip

Our city (So. Cal beach) runs incentive programs to partially subsidize
conversion of lawns to xeriscapic uses.

We have those incentives, plus an incentive to divert washing machine
gray water to lawn irrigation since the amount of soap in washing machine
water is minimal. But I guess you can no longer use bleach.

We also collect water used to wash pots and pans and dump it on the lawn
but not many people will deal with this. Probably 10 gallons a day from that.

Dishwasher water really can't be diverted for lawn irrigation.

California really is not serious about water conservation because if they
were they'd be banning lawns and banning high water use crops like rice.
Shorter showers and full loads of laundry are nice, but the reality is
that irrigation is what needs to be curtailed.

I'm still curious about your statement related to the load sensing
mechanism getting flaky over time. Do you have some statistics to back that
up? Your comment was the first time I have ever heard that and since I have
a machine that supposedly senses the size of the load, I'd like to hear
more on that issue.

Well 100% of the people I know with a washer with that mechanism have
had it fail. But that said, it's only one person. OTOH the repair person
that came out to fix it told her that they fail consistently.

Usually it's just a matter of blowing through the hose to clear the
blockage but a lot of sensors, timers, and controllers get replaced that
are not really bad.

The other stupid thing on these machines is that when working properly,
if you open the lid, say to throw in another item. the machine changes
to maximum load size instead of keeping the smaller load size.

Likey true of some models, but not all. Your sample of one
make/model/unit is hardly a representative sample to base a
generalization on.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

sms wrote:
[...]

"These machines"? Which "these machines"? Are you claiming all HE washer
exhibit the "refill to the max load size" issue?

Well, it can't be all machines, because my load sensing machine doesn't
even have a lid. It's a front loader. I've opened the _door_ numerous,
numerous times and I've never had an issue with the machine suddenly
filling up with more water.

Based on the fact that your "100%" experience includes a single machine and
the word of a single repair person, I will choose to doubt the original
statement until some more substantive evidence is provided.

I am curious though, what "hose" are you referring to that needs to be
blown out to resolve the issue. You know, just in case I ever experience
the problem.

No, it's the one's made by the various Whirlpool divisions that have the
auto-load sense. Can't speak for GE or the European or Korean brands.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

sms wrote:
[...]

You're right, it's the ones made by Whirlpool, under various brand
names, that the repair guy was familiar with. It could well be that LG,
Samsung, GE, Miele, etc. don't have this issue if they have automatic
load sensing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:53:50 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

Part of the reason for trying to limit waste water like toilets is that
it's a two part problem. It uses water and it creates waste water
that then in many cases has to be treated. That takes energy, chemicals,
$$$ treatment facilities, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:15:20 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/9/2014 1:22 PM, sms wrote:

I've been out of the loop when it comes to repairing washers and dryers

since for the past 30 years I've purchased only commercial machines for

my own house and for one rental townhouse. These machines "never" break

under normal residential use since they're designed for laundromats and

everything about them is heavy duty from the motors to the tubs to the

internal plumbing. They're also serviceable from the front if anything

ever breaks. They have only a two knobs for choices for washes:

hot/warm/cold and normal/permanent press/delicate.

snip

They bought LG machines. The tenant (an Apple software engineer) and me

(a hardware engineer) spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do

a wash. There must be 1000 combinations of choices you can make.

Recently bought a new Maytag top loader. The control panel has more

lights than anything Boeing makes for the cockpit.

You better bolt her down! Otherwise it might have a mechanical malfunction
or fire and go flying off to the Indian Ocean off Australia, if you
believe some folks theories....

Crappy diy stores Zen83237 UK diy 0 June 25th 11 10:55 AM
Crappy vendor Lord Garth Electronic Schematics 13 March 14th 08 04:04 AM
You Think YOU Had A Crappy Day? Tim Daneliuk Woodworking 9 March 14th 08 12:09 AM
Buy or Sell your Used Construction Equipment; ie. excavators, backhoes, dozers, graders, cranes, compactors, dump trucks, heavy trucks, forestry equipment, farming equipment, mining equipment and much more.... Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 03:27 PM
Need Used Heavy Equipment such as; Backhoes, Excavators, Dozers, Graders, Cranes, Skidders, Loaders, Forestry, Farming, and/or any type of Construction equipment .....Please visit Iron Globe Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 2nd 07 03:17 PM