Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC checkout/tune up $89 a good deal?

One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin doesn't
have a fit). From what I know, this company is one of the more
expensive outfits, they drive around in fancy new trucks and
put on cute little shoe covers when they show up. But I don't
think they are shysters either.

Sound like a good idea if you have a system that you think
might not be up to par?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/14 02:57 pm, trader_4 wrote:
One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin doesn't
have a fit). From what I know, this company is one of the more
expensive outfits, they drive around in fancy new trucks and
put on cute little shoe covers when they show up. But I don't
think they are shysters either.

Sound like a good idea if you have a system that you think
might not be up to par?

Watch the price of any other parts they might suggest are needed. A few
years ago wee took advantage of one of these "special offers" for
servicing our furnace. A capacitor was OK but only just. To buy a
replacement there and then from the service guy would have been $80, but
he said that if I went to their office it might be a little cheaper. I
bought one from another a/c place for far less -- maybe $20 or less.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2014 2:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:
One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin doesn't
have a fit). From what I know, this company is one of the more
expensive outfits, they drive around in fancy new trucks and
put on cute little shoe covers when they show up. But I don't
think they are shysters either.

Sound like a good idea if you have a system that you think
might not be up to par?

I'd want to discuss what that includes, and watch
the guys like hawks with microscopes, while they
were on my property. Overall, I'm suspicious of
offers that sound good. I'm just not that trusting.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 11:57:08 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin doesn't
have a fit). From what I know, this company is one of the more
expensive outfits, they drive around in fancy new trucks and
put on cute little shoe covers when they show up. But I don't
think they are shysters either.

Sound like a good idea if you have a system that you think
might not be up to par?

The price doesn't sound terrible. I pay ~$149 a year for service,
inspection, cleaning units, change filter (mine), etc. I change the
filter the rest of the year. Condenser in spring & gas furnace in
early fall. Yes, they wear the little booties.

They drive a yellow truck, too...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 15:12:53 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Watch the price of any other parts they might suggest are needed. A few
years ago wee took advantage of one of these "special offers" for
servicing our furnace. A capacitor was OK but only just. To buy a
replacement there and then from the service guy would have been $80, but
he said that if I went to their office it might be a little cheaper. I
bought one from another a/c place for far less -- maybe $20 or less.

Had a similar thing happen to me the other day on my truck. My reply
was; "Yes I know about it, I'll take care of it myself."

Simple enough to say: "I have the parts on order already."

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin doesn't
have a fit). From what I know, this company is one of the more
expensive outfits, they drive around in fancy new trucks and
put on cute little shoe covers when they show up. But I don't
think they are shysters either.

Sound like a good idea if you have a system that you think
might not be up to par?

Hi,
Maybe bait and switch artist? It is 95.00 arount here.
I used them once and when tech told me I need this and thaty,
I just said,"Thanks for heads up. I'll follow up on them" I
cleaned washed coils at the end of the season and he said I need
cleaning, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:57:07 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon

where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including

2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin doesn't

have a fit). From what I know, this company is one of the more

expensive outfits, they drive around in fancy new trucks and

put on cute little shoe covers when they show up. But I don't

think they are shysters either.

Sound like a good idea if you have a system that you think

might not be up to par?

Hi,

Maybe bait and switch artist? It is 95.00 arount here.

Is that $95 for an honest guy or $95 for a bait and switch? Also, I
assume that $95 is in Canadian $, so that probably translates to a
little less than the $89 there.

I used them once and when tech told me I need this and thaty,

I just said,"Thanks for heads up. I'll follow up on them" I

cleaned washed coils at the end of the season and he said I need

cleaning, etc.

I guess being smarter than the average bear, we can do that too!
I guess he could let all the freon out. But Stormy says it ain't
got no freon, so I guess he can't do that either...
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.hvac

trader_4 wrote:

One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin

In the 15 years that I've owned this house, I've paid not one dime to
anyone to perform any service on the (now) 39-year-old furnace or the (I
think) 18-year-old A/C unit, and same goes for gas water heater, gas
dryer or washing machine (both of those also being 15 years old).

Have just turned on the A/C unit the first time this season a few days
ago. Works fine.

Turned off gas to the furnace pilot light just recently too (it's been a
cold spring).
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.hvac

On 06/03/14 08:33 pm, HomeGuy wrote:

One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin

In the 15 years that I've owned this house, I've paid not one dime to
anyone to perform any service on the (now) 39-year-old furnace or the (I
think) 18-year-old A/C unit, and same goes for gas water heater, gas
dryer or washing machine (both of those also being 15 years old).

Have just turned on the A/C unit the first time this season a few days
ago. Works fine.

Turned off gas to the furnace pilot light just recently too (it's been a
cold spring).

A few years ago I asked the guy who was installing our next-door
neighbor's new A/C about getting ours serviced. He said, "If it's
working OK, leave it alone."

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC checkout/tune up $89 a good deal? -- Correction

On 06/03/14 03:12 pm, I wrote:

[...]

Yes, definitely less: the $20 (approx.) capacitor was the dual one for
the A/C (I diagnosed the problem myself). The replacement for the
furnace was $6 on eBay.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.hvac

On 6/4/2014 7:12 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

A few years ago I asked the guy who was installing our next-door
neighbor's new A/C about getting ours serviced. He said, "If it's
working OK, leave it alone."

Perce

I've seen units which "ran fine" but were in serious
need of professional cleaning. The challenge is to
find a company that does good and honest cleaning.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've seen units which "ran fine" but were in serious
need of professional cleaning. The challenge is to
find a company that does good and honest cleaning.

A few years ago I took the cover off the condenser unit and cleaned it
with a garden hose and a nozzle that gave me a high-velocity spray.
Last year I partially removed the evaporator A frame out of the furnace
plenum and cleaned it with a combination of vacuum cleaner and
high-pressure air.

I also removed a couple of baffle plates that forced all air through the
A frame so that about 1/3 of the plenum opening was free of airflow
restriction and the other 2/3 would have to flow through the A frame.
This took some load off the fan and made the furnace more efficient for
winter heating. I noticed no reduction in the house cooling performance
last summer after doing that. In fact, the extra airflow made just
having the fan running (without A/C on) was probably more sufficient
more of the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.hvac

HomeGuy wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

One of the big HVAC companies in the area has a coupon
where you get an AC checkout, cleaning, etc for $89, including
2lbs of free refrigerant (not necessairly freon so Stormin

In the 15 years that I've owned this house, I've paid not one dime to
anyone to perform any service on the (now) 39-year-old furnace or the (I
think) 18-year-old A/C unit, and same goes for gas water heater, gas
dryer or washing machine (both of those also being 15 years old).

Have just turned on the A/C unit the first time this season a few days
ago. Works fine.

Turned off gas to the furnace pilot light just recently too (it's been a
cold spring).

Hmm
I never turned off pilot when I lived in Scarboro. Moisture concern.
Even out here in Calgary I keep pilots on. Only pilots are in the
fire places. That 39 year old fura/c tune up costs 160.00, recharging
the system properly; evacuate refrigerant Puron and weigh and recharging
is 260.00 from a releiable service guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/4/2014 7:12 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

A few years ago I asked the guy who was installing our next-door
neighbor's new A/C about getting ours serviced. He said, "If it's
working OK, leave it alone."

Perce

I've seen units which "ran fine" but were in serious
need of professional cleaning. The challenge is to
find a company that does good and honest cleaning.

Hi,
That part, cleaning I do it myself. Not that hard.
At end of season I do it. Just turned on A/c last week
and guess what, there is frost warning out tonight.
Wife went out after supper, covered tomato and cuke plants.