Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy evaporative cooler

My evaporative (swamp) cooler's front grill (part within the house with
vents, controls, etc.) vibrates noisily making a loud annoying buzz after
the cooler runs for several hours. If I press hard on it then it is silent.
I tightened the four screws holding it to the cooler, replacing one of
them, but no help. I suppose something in the cooler blower ot shroud is
silently vibrating but I can't locate it.

I suspect removing the grill would be difficult due to the wires to the
controls.

Probably hopeless but any suggestions?

TIA

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 May 2014 16:41:06 GMT, KenK wrote:

My evaporative (swamp) cooler's front grill (part within the house with
vents, controls, etc.) vibrates noisily making a loud annoying buzz after
the cooler runs for several hours. If I press hard on it then it is silent.
I tightened the four screws holding it to the cooler, replacing one of
them, but no help. I suppose something in the cooler blower ot shroud is
silently vibrating but I can't locate it.

I suspect removing the grill would be difficult due to the wires to the
controls.

Probably hopeless but any suggestions?

TIA

How old is the motor, condition of the belts and bearings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:md9co9h3qsibejo6q0o0ghmbnocksion9q@
4ax.com:

How old is the motor,

3 years, same as cooler

condition of the belts

Looks fine

and bearings?

oil twice every season

This is my third or fourth cooler. never had a problem like this before.
They were much older than this one when I had to replace them. When belts
and bearings failed it was very obvious. Same with motor - they quit
working.

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 May 2014 17:42:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in news:md9co9h3qsibejo6q0o0ghmbnocksion9q@
4ax.com:

How old is the motor,

3 years, same as cooler

condition of the belts

Looks fine

and bearings?

oil twice every season

This is my third or fourth cooler. never had a problem like this before.
They were much older than this one when I had to replace them. When belts
and bearings failed it was very obvious. Same with motor - they quit
working.

Hard tell exactly what it is from here. I'd try backing off the screws
in the grill and stick a few of those rubber cabinet door bumpers
behind it and tighten the grill back down again - just a guess.

HD will have a small pack, with maybe a dozen for cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 29 May 2014 17:42:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
news:md9co9h3qsibejo6q0o0ghmbnocksion9q@ 4ax.com:

How old is the motor,

3 years, same as cooler

condition of the belts

Looks fine

and bearings?

oil twice every season

This is my third or fourth cooler. never had a problem like this
before. They were much older than this one when I had to replace them.
When belts and bearings failed it was very obvious. Same with motor -
they quit working.

Hard tell exactly what it is from here. I'd try backing off the screws
in the grill and stick a few of those rubber cabinet door bumpers
behind it and tighten the grill back down again - just a guess.

HD will have a small pack, with maybe a dozen for cheap.

Good idea! Thanks.

Perhaps something like, but thinner than a bumper. I wonder if thick
rubber washers would work. All I'd have to do then is remove one screw at
a time, slip in the washer and if necessary replace the bolt with a bit
longer one. Theoretically. Not as good as your idea but easier.

I'm trying to avoid removing the grill due to wiring to it.

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 May 2014 18:11:12 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

Sounds like a plan, Worth a try...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 29 May 2014 18:11:12 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
m:

[...]

I wonder if rubber grommets (sp?) might not work better than rubber
washers? What do you think? I'll have to dig through my hardware and see
if I have four of them the same thickness.

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Oren wrote in news:md9co9h3qsibejo6q0o0ghmbnocksion9q@
4ax.com:

How old is the motor,

3 years, same as cooler

condition of the belts

Looks fine

and bearings?

oil twice every season

This is my third or fourth cooler. never had a problem like this before.
They were much older than this one when I had to replace them. When belts
and bearings failed it was very obvious. Same with motor - they quit
working.

Maybe some self adhesive felt pads for under "objects de art" Loosen the
screw slightly then jam as many as you can where you need it. My wife did
this with a sticky note on our wall mt AC unit.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 May 2014 18:16:05 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

Anything to dampen the sound, if in fact, it is the grill making the
noise. Let us know what worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
:

KenK posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Oren wrote in
news:md9co9h3qsibejo6q0o0ghmbnocksion9q@ 4ax.com:

How old is the motor,

3 years, same as cooler

condition of the belts

Looks fine

and bearings?

oil twice every season

This is my third or fourth cooler. never had a problem like this
before. They were much older than this one when I had to replace
them. When belts and bearings failed it was very obvious. Same with
motor - they quit working.

Maybe some self adhesive felt pads for under "objects de art" Loosen
the screw slightly then jam as many as you can where you need it. My
wife did this with a sticky note on our wall mt AC unit.

Any guess whare to find them? I know what you mean but at Walmart last
Saturday looked unsuccessfully in several departments. Found a bunch of
'slider' disks and wall hanging stuff I didn't know existed but no felt
pads. Either overlooked them or didn't go to right department.

--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

Usually in the crafts dept or hardware store to protect wood tables from
rough bottomed china objects.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would try gluing some carpet scraps on the inside of the panel to dampen the vibrations.