Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheetrock , Jack !

This morning I designed and started building a jack mechanism to install
sheetrock on the ceiling of my house . This afternoon I finished it and used
it to put up 2 sheets . It's nothing fancy , a couple of 2x4's with |___|
brackets to let them "telescope" . Scrap plywood and some new 2x4 pieces
for a base and bracing , equipped with free swivel casters . Hand crank
winch and cable free and a small pulley shop fab and more scrap plywood
for a top platform completes it .
The winch is mounted on the moving 2x4 , the cable goes down and around
the end - the pulley is mounted in a notch in the bottom end - and back up
between the 2x4's to get tied off over the top of the non-moving 2x .
There's a groove in one 2x for the cable . The platform is about 73" above
the floor when lowered , so I still have to get it up a ways . But once
sorta-centered on the top platform , I can roll the thing anywhere in the
room , crank the winch to raise it up to the framing , and once positioned
another turn locks it in place while I get screws started .
I've always in the past just used deadman tees , this is SO much easier !!
I'd never considered the possibility , just never did that much overhead and
mostly small pieces , but a guy I know mentioned he had one , and the gears
in my head ... and had he never mentioned it , I'd be fighting this stuff
and wishing I had 3 arms .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2014 08:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

When I re-did the kitchen I used 5/8" drywall.

The ceiling is 9' high, so it was a tough job.

I made a scaffold out of 2x4's that was about 8 1/2 ft high.

Me and my helper could position the sheets, take a rest...then go for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A link to a picture would be worth several thousand wordsg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:
A link to a picture would be worth several thousand wordsg.

These were tsaken before I put the top platform on , it's built just
like the bottom .

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

I just added 3 more pics showing construction details .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is that thing that looks like a gun in the middle of the lift??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 May 2014 23:03:12 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

What is that thing that looks like a gun in the middle of the lift??

That would be my .50 cal Plains Rifle muzzleloader hanging on nails driven
into the studs . CVA , built from a kit and it'll put 3 into an inch at 50
yards . But not with me shooting it these days ... sigh .
An unloaded gun is just a fancy club ...

But why is it mounted on the sheetrock jack?

Sheetrock? Sonny Woodworking 13 August 26th 11 05:13 PM
Adding a phone jack ..Jack.. [email protected] Home Repair 10 June 22nd 08 08:14 PM
Sheetrock qwert Home Repair 3 April 17th 06 06:30 AM
sheetrock qwert Home Repair 1 April 16th 06 08:48 PM
Which Sheetrock Should I Use? x071907 Home Repair 2 April 22nd 04 11:55 PM