x071907

Default Which Sheetrock Should I Use?

I just finished raising our bathroom ceiling back up to 8' using green
board. My next step is to sheetrock the walls around the tub. I'm
not sure if I should use cement board on the walls all the way up to
the ceiling, or put cement board up to the point where the tile will
stop and then transition back to greenboard up to the ceiling (I'm not sure if I
want tile all the way up to the ceiling), or use greenboard for the
entire wall. The existing wall had regular sheetrock behind the tile
(from 1970's remodel) and the sheetrock was in very good condition.
Which should I use? Also, If I should be using cement board does
that need to be taped at the seems?
Joe Bobst

I just finished raising our bathroom ceiling back up to 8' using green
board.

This might have been a mistake. Some brands of green board are said to sag over
time. It might be wise to check with USG (or whoever) customer service and see
whether you are going to be OK on this. In past remodels I've found that
greenboard has a lot more voids and bubbles in the gypsum than the regular
drywall. Don't know whether that's the cause or not. HTH

Joe

RB

x071907 wrote:
I just finished raising our bathroom ceiling back up to 8' using green
board. My next step is to sheetrock the walls around the tub. I'm
not sure if I should use cement board on the walls all the way up to
the ceiling, or put cement board up to the point where the tile will
stop and then transition back to greenboard up to the ceiling (I'm not sure if I
want tile all the way up to the ceiling), or use greenboard for the
entire wall. The existing wall had regular sheetrock behind the tile
(from 1970's remodel) and the sheetrock was in very good condition.
Which should I use? Also, If I should be using cement board does
that need to be taped at the seems?

What will be on the wall above the tile? You can skim coat Durock and
paint or wall paper but it will take several coats. You definitely want
Durock under the tile if it may even remotely exposed to water.

The seams are taped with fiberglass mesh tape and mortar. Look at USG's
web site for installation instructions for Durock.

Schluter makes a very interesting transition profile for joining tile to
the tub, DILEX-AS which I just ordered to try on yet another bathroom.
(I don't know what I'll do when I run out of bathrooms to finish. ;-) )

http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...410-index.html

Cost is about $18.99 plus $2.40 for the inside corners and end caps.

RB