Aaron

Default Need to smooth out sheetrock after removing plastic tile?

My bathroom walls were covered in ugly plastic tile. I have removed
all the plastic tile which left alot of dark beige hard stuff stuck to
the sheetrock. It must be some type of grout. My question is: How
do I get the sheetrock smooth again so I can texture it and paint it?
Joe Bobst

: How do I get the sheetrock smooth again so I can texture it and paint it?

The plastic tile adhesive removal will likely pull off the drywall paper,
leaving you with the chore of skim coating to get a smooth new surface. Balance
this work with replacement of the drywall itself to decide which way is best
for you. One argument in favor of new drywall is the availability of water
resistant, mold and mildew reasistant types which are ideal for bathrooms.
Cruise this NG for tips on drywall work. There's a bunch of information out
there that can help get a super job. HTH

Joe
Brian V

"Aaron" wrote in message
m...
My bathroom walls were covered in ugly plastic tile. I have removed
all the plastic tile which left alot of dark beige hard stuff stuck to
the sheetrock. It must be some type of grout. My question is: How
do I get the sheetrock smooth again so I can texture it and paint it?

Hi Aaron,

I just went thru the same thing in my bath and kitchen. Are you sure it's
drywall and not plaster walls? Plastic tile was pre-drywall is memory serves
me right.

I used Citristrip from the borg and it work awesome. Paint the stuff on,
wait 1hr, scrape it off with a stiff putty knife. Do a wipe down with
mineral spirits, do a wipe down with a TSP sollution. Patch any areas that
need to be patched. A final wipe with a damp clean cloth. Prime and paint.
Came out awesome!

Now if the walls truly are drywall....tear em down. No other way that I know
of.

Good luck,
-Brian

jim

Aaron wrote:

My bathroom walls were covered in ugly plastic tile. I have removed
all the plastic tile which left alot of dark beige hard stuff stuck to
the sheetrock. It must be some type of grout. My question is: How
do I get the sheetrock smooth again so I can texture it and paint it?

pull out the sheet rock and put in new. it will be smooth....
Eric Tonks

May not be. Plastic tile was popular in the 1950's as far as I remember. I
know that drywall was in use during the Second World War, so it could be
drywall.

"Brian V" wrote in message

"Aaron" wrote in message
m...
[...]

How to smooth plastic? D.M. Procida UK diy 10 May 7th 04 11:32 AM
PlasPlugs tile cutter?? What a load of pants Ben UK diy 24 April 30th 04 09:54 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Removing Tile Glue Dan Home Repair 2 December 28th 03 02:47 PM
Removing Tile Paint Alan McGowan UK diy 1 August 8th 03 03:42 PM