Dan

Default Removing Tile Glue

We have rmeoved some tile pieces from our basement floor. Underneath
remains a residue of light brown glue. Any hints on removing it the
glue?
BUB 209

Is it vinyl tile? Unless there are other
tiles surrounding the repair that you don't want to damage, a heat gun works
well,
aside from the nasty fumes. You could
also use adhesive remover, available at
tile and hardware stores. Again, the
fumes.
Brian V

Dan,
I'm in the middle of redoing my kitchen in which the walls were covered in
ulgy ass tile. The tiles came right off, leaving the old remaining glue. I
tried everything, heat, adhesive remover, scraping, sanding etc etc. Nothing
friggin worked, only made things worse. I was about to give up, tear down
the walls and just hang some new drywall or wanescoat(sp?) it. I saw an
infomercial on TV for a paint stripper, I said, well, I might as well give
paint stripper a try. I went to the borg and got the smallest cans of
everything they had to see if anything would work. None of them worked
except one, and it works friggin AWESOME! It's a citrus stripper called
Citristrip, made for paint and varnish removal. The directions say to let it
sit for 15-20 minutes......or longer depending on the application, 1hr works
perfect for the tile adhesive. Regular putty knife and that glue is coming
right off. A wash down with some mineral spirits followed by a TSP wash and
it's done. Even makes the house smell nice!

It's pretty cheap too, 15$ for a 1/2 gallon size, 10$ for a quart.

Good luck,
-Brian
om...