Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gfci on a different circuit tripping when I turn tv on!

I have a gfci on one circuit that trips when I turn on a tv that is on
another circuit!

This only happens if I leave the tv off for exended period of time like 24
hours!

I can not repeat this if I simply turn the tv off and on repaleatedly!
And when I leave the
Tv off for 20 hours or so it does not always cause the gfci on the
different circuit to trip!

I replaced the tripping gfci with a new one and it changed nothing.

Also in heavy rain the tripping gfci does trip! It is a circuit with long
runs to outside lights and shed!

Also tripping gfci was once a circuit that had RF on it! This is 1940 BX
wiring!

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Disconnect any antenna/cable box/anything connections to the tv except for the power cord, and repeat the test. Whn you power up the tv, and any charges on any wires connected to the tv have leaked off, the turn-on transients may propogate on any leads connceted to the tv, and cause noise in anything else in your house.

I admit it seems weird, but my background is in electromagnetic compatibility, and I have seen more weird things than I can describe. Please try the experiment and please report back here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 May 2014 00:44:02 +0000, Johnnyb
wrote:

I have a gfci on one circuit that trips when I turn on a tv that is on
another circuit!

This only happens if I leave the tv off for exended period of time like 24
hours!

Also in heavy rain the tripping gfci does trip! It is a circuit with long
runs to outside lights and shed!

The rain tripping is probably from moisture getting under the cover.
Check them out and replace if necessary.

As for the TV, the only solution I can think of is to replace it with
an 80" flat screen and surround sound system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:44:02 PM UTC-4, Johnnyb wrote:
I have a gfci on one circuit that trips when I turn on a tv that is on

another circuit!

This only happens if I leave the tv off for exended period of time like 24

hours!

I can not repeat this if I simply turn the tv off and on repaleatedly!

And when I leave the

Tv off for 20 hours or so it does not always cause the gfci on the

different circuit to trip!

I replaced the tripping gfci with a new one and it changed nothing.

Also in heavy rain the tripping gfci does trip! It is a circuit with long

runs to outside lights and shed!

Also tripping gfci was once a circuit that had RF on it! This is 1940 BX

wiring!

John

What does "once had RF on it mean"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com,
Johnnyb wrote:

I have a gfci on one circuit that trips when I turn on a tv that is on
another circuit!

John-

HRHofmann may be onto something with regard to electromagnetic
compatibility. I would look for a coupling mechanism via the safety
ground circuit. It might be that you have a loose neutral connection at
your electrical service entrance.

Fred

Tripping the equivalent of a circuit breaker incorporated GFCI terry Home Repair 0 September 21st 09 05:14 PM
GFCI tripping Sasha Home Repair 9 November 25th 06 02:36 PM
GFCI tripping [email protected] Home Repair 11 February 15th 06 02:56 PM
GFCI still tripping fredinstl Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 06:56 PM
GFCI tripping fredinstl Home Repair 5 April 5th 05 04:07 AM