Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breaker box inside panel

I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

a quick search via duckduckgo.com

http://www.baybreakers.com/catalog/F...cific-FPE.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the
breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

Know anyone that's into metalworking ?

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the
breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

Know anyone that's into metalworking ?

I would think duct tape and a matching spray paint job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2014 6:15 PM, Andy wrote:
I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

If the rest of the panel is Federal Pacific,
it is a major fire hazzard and should be
replaced. Tomorrow, early AM.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:

I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the

breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

Know anyone that's into metalworking ?

I would think duct tape and a matching spray paint job.

Don't think city inspectors would approve that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:

I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the

breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

Know anyone that's into metalworking ?

I would think duct tape and a matching spray paint job.

Don't think city inspectors would approve that.

oh, you want it to pass code! You didn't mention that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 19, 2014 5:27:50 PM UTC-5, NotMe wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

a quick search via duckduckgo.com

http://www.baybreakers.com/catalog/F...cific-FPE.html

Thanks.

Based on the material below, it looks like the customer will have to replace the breaker box.

He found out this week that his AC unit are non-repairable.

"The Federal Pacific Electric Company (FPE) brand name is fairly complex due to the history of product line acquisition and naming rights ownership changes. The original FPE company that began manufacturing electrical panels, circuit breakers, and other electrical parts decades ago is no longer around (to our knowledge)."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 May 2014 19:47:04 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/19/2014 6:15 PM, Andy wrote:
I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

If the rest of the panel is Federal Pacific,
it is a major fire hazzard and should be
replaced. Tomorrow, early AM.

Nothing wrong with FPE panel if it has the good breakers in it. There
was a period of time when the breakers were iffy. Earlier and later
breakers were as good as Square D or other competitors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 19, 2014 7:50:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 19 May 2014 15:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Andy

wrote:

I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

If you are just talking about the dead front cover, you might find one

at a place that salvages old equipment.

Personally I think I would look for a Cutler Hammer replacement panel

board that fits in the existing can and it will come with the cover.

Those FPE breakers come with less than a stellar reputation. Some

insurance companies and virtually all home inspectors hate them.

I think it is the Stab Lock breakers that were unreliable.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a customer that needs the inside panel that fits over the breakers.

The breaker box is old, Federal Pacific Electric Catalog # RH 318-36.

I looked around but could not find it.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks.

If you are just talking about the dead front cover, you might find one

at a place that salvages old equipment.

Personally I think I would look for a Cutler Hammer replacement panel

board that fits in the existing can and it will come with the cover.

Those FPE breakers come with less than a stellar reputation. Some

insurance companies and virtually all home inspectors hate them.

I think it is the Stab Lock breakers that were unreliable.

Andy

I will have a private talk with the owner.

Something along the lines of....

Most people want to be frugal, but do you want to risk your store burning down ??

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2014 10:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I will have a private talk with the owner.
Something along the lines of....
Most people want to be frugal, but do you
want to risk your store burning down ??
Andy

As I remember, the FPE breakers had a manufacturing
fault, after one trip, the breaker would simply NOT
trip, regardless of the amperage. It's the breaker
equivilant of penny behind the fuse.

I'd sure want that panel replaced. Soon.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/19/2014 10:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I will have a private talk with the owner.
Something along the lines of....
Most people want to be frugal, but do you
want to risk your store burning down ??
Andy

As I remember, the FPE breakers had a manufacturing
fault, after one trip, the breaker would simply NOT
trip, regardless of the amperage. It's the breaker
equivilant of penny behind the fuse.

I'd sure want that panel replaced. Soon.

Why replace the whole panel when it's faulty breakers ? Replace the breakers
, yes if they're the type that's faulty , but not the whole panel . If
there's damage to the bus bars or something , that's another matter , but I
see no need to replace something that ain't broke .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2014 11:07 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Why replace the whole panel when it's faulty breakers ? Replace the breakers
, yes if they're the type that's faulty , but not the whole panel . If
there's damage to the bus bars or something , that's another matter , but I
see no need to replace something that ain't broke .

The question, if same size breakers can be found?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2014 15:27:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/20/2014 11:07 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Why replace the whole panel when it's faulty breakers ? Replace the breakers
, yes if they're the type that's faulty , but not the whole panel . If
there's damage to the bus bars or something , that's another matter , but I
see no need to replace something that ain't broke .

The question, if same size breakers can be found?

Direct fit breakers ARE available - at least in Canada.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/20/2014 11:07 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Why replace the whole panel when it's faulty breakers ? Replace the breakers

, yes if they're the type that's faulty , but not the whole panel . If

there's damage to the bus bars or something , that's another matter , but I

see no need to replace something that ain't broke .

The question, if same size breakers can be found?

Direct fit breakers ARE available - at least in Canada.

home depot price for FPE 15 amp breaker just one, 30 bucks I checked about 2 years ago for a buddy who was thinking about buying a home. so 20 breakers at 30 bucks each costs a fortune and still leaves you a FPE panel.

I checked out his perspective home and said replace the panel. then he got a home inspector who reported get a new panel since homeowners insurance will not write a new policy with a FPE panel.

he passed on the home purchase..... for lots of reasons