Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dehumidifiers

Well, my 4+ year old humidifier, GE, while still working, was one of the
models made in China by Gree and is being recalled. While it worked ok,
the recall was because units have been know to overheat and/or burst
into flames. Supposedly, I will be getting a check for $219 in the next
week or so. When I originally bought this unit, it was basically an
emergency, so there was no time to research it. This time I was not in
a hurry so I've looked on the internet for reviews. I think I'm now
more confused than ever. So, here's my question, what unit do you all
think is good? I guess after my recent experience, a US built unit
might be nice, however, I'm not really sure how much that really
matters. I'm looking for something in the 50 - 70 pint capacity and
hopefully quieter than the previous. It also must have a gravity hose
drain. It would be really nice if the unit has some kind of remote
sensor because the units with an internal sensor must run the fan
continuously in order to get accurate humidity readings. I don't really
believe this exits, except for the $1000 built-in units.
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/14 9:16 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Consumer Reports has the Danby DDR60A3GP as a Best Buy in the large
capacity units. 60 pint/day, $250. Frigidaire FAD704DWD is rated
second, 70 pint/day, also $250.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:16:48 PM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

If you got the recall notice, I think sadly you have a lot of info
right there. Wasn't there a list of many different companies that
were all being recalled because they were made by the same company
in China or wherever? I think there are only a couple of factories
that make these and they are overseas and produce stuff that is about
the same. From personal experience, they typically don't last more
than about 4 years. One thing I would consider is getting the extended
warranty. Normally I never get one of those. But there things are
so unreliable, I'd at least consider it. When buying the last one,
I was negotiating with the guy at the store against online pricing.
I finally got him to the point where it was like $30 more for his,
but that included the extended warranty, so I took it. The thing
failed about 2 years later.

Even then, you have some more games. When I took the failed one back,
they no longer had that model. The closest one they had was like 70
pints vs the 60 pint failed one. So, I had two choices. I could leave
the failed one for repair, timeframe totally uncertain, or for $30
more, I could walk out with the 70 pint unit. I chose the latter.
Still it was a good deal. That one has been working OK for a couple
years now. But like you say, the fan stays on all the time. I
think with the previous one, the fan cycled, but not sure. I'll
take a look and see what make it is, and get back to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

[...]

Take a close look at the details on that recall. When I looked I found
the reported fires were a tiny fraction of a percent of the total units
sold, and further, the fire picture shown on a recall site clearly
showed the dehumidifier remains next to an open sump pump pit. If it's
next to an open sump pit the poor thing will never shut off and it's no
surprise it might overheat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 5, 2014 10:03:25 AM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

[...]

It seems like tha that horse has already left the stable.
He said he's waiting for his refund check. Also there is
no reason a dehumidifier should overheat and catch fire,
even if it's running 24/7. For sure people use them when
the have a basement flood and need to run it for days to
dry it out. That shouldn't cause a fire. Neither should
putting it near a sump pit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

[...]

My Soleous dehumidifier was recalled as well. It was blessed by Consumer
Reports, worked well and never caught fire. A family member had a Kenmore
that was also recalled. His ran 24/7 for a year or so (basement is a swamp)
without a problem. I removed the covers from mine. The only thing I noticed
that might hint at a problem was a piece of thermal insulation separating
the rear cover from the compressor body. Was this to prevent the plastic
from softening and touching the hot surface? Probably. Leaving the cover off
solves that one.

After sending the original plug off to Gree as rebate proof, I put a new
plug on the dehumidifier. I'm tempted to continue using it, but only when
I'm nearby. Yes, I know my homeowner's insurance won't cover damage if my
recalled unit catches fire. I wish the recall notice had included some
detail about why the units failed. Gree has probably tested the hell out
their redesign. We hope.

Finding a dehumidifier not made in China might be difficult, and "US built"
is no guarantee of safety. For sure, I will not allow any brand of
dehumidifier to run unattended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:24:52 AM UTC-4, Bryce wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

[...]

Some here will tell you that. But I'm not so sure. Insurance companies
pay off all the time if you leave a pot of oil on your stove and go next
door to talk to the neighbor. Or leave a 4x4 laying on the sidewalk and
someone trips and gets hurt. Not sure exactly how continuing to use
a recalled product is so different from any of those.

I wish the recall notice had included some

detail about why the units failed. Gree has probably tested the hell out

their redesign. We hope.

Finding a dehumidifier not made in China might be difficult, and "US built"

is no guarantee of safety. For sure, I will not allow any brand of

dehumidifier to run unattended.

For the typical use in a basement, that would keep you very busy.

Dehumidifiers Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 5 April 2nd 13 01:43 PM
OT - Dehumidifiers Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 5 June 28th 08 08:05 PM
dehumidifiers sherry[_2_] Home Repair 19 April 12th 08 07:10 AM
dehumidifiers Art Home Repair 13 June 21st 07 09:18 PM