Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Dehumidifiers

On Monday, May 5, 2014 10:03:25 AM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

Well, my 4+ year old humidifier, GE, while still working, was one of the

models made in China by Gree and is being recalled. While it worked ok,

the recall was because units have been know to overheat and/or burst

into flames. Supposedly, I will be getting a check for $219 in the next

week or so. When I originally bought this unit, it was basically an

emergency, so there was no time to research it. This time I was not in

a hurry so I've looked on the internet for reviews. I think I'm now

more confused than ever. So, here's my question, what unit do you all

think is good? I guess after my recent experience, a US built unit

might be nice, however, I'm not really sure how much that really

matters. I'm looking for something in the 50 - 70 pint capacity and

hopefully quieter than the previous. It also must have a gravity hose

drain. It would be really nice if the unit has some kind of remote

sensor because the units with an internal sensor must run the fan

continuously in order to get accurate humidity readings. I don't really

believe this exits, except for the $1000 built-in units.

Thanks.

Take a close look at the details on that recall. When I looked I found

the reported fires were a tiny fraction of a percent of the total units

sold, and further, the fire picture shown on a recall site clearly

showed the dehumidifier remains next to an open sump pump pit. If it's

next to an open sump pit the poor thing will never shut off and it's no

surprise it might overheat.

It seems like tha that horse has already left the stable.
He said he's waiting for his refund check. Also there is
no reason a dehumidifier should overheat and catch fire,
even if it's running 24/7. For sure people use them when
the have a basement flood and need to run it for days to
dry it out. That shouldn't cause a fire. Neither should
putting it near a sump pit.