Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Side Exhaust AC and Venting deck panels for AC

I have a rental townhouse where I need to install A/C. First let me say
that the AC unit MUST go under the deck. All of the housing units with
A/C, except one, have it under the deck. It will be a side-discharge
unit, i.e. http://www.bryant.com/images/products/by_hd_achp-5-lg.png
or the same unit with the Carrier brand or
http://www.york.com/images/Residential/Products/Residential%20Prod_Detail/Air%20Conditioners/york-affinty-TCHD-air-conditioner-L.png.
Some owners have put in standard vertical discharge units but they don't
work well because the discharge blows straight up onto the underside of
the deck and even with venting under the deck the air-flow is constricted.

I need to vent the existing siding covering the deck to maximize air
flow, in and out, without making it look too terrible and was looking
for suggestions.

Here's a jpg of what the deck looks like:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/1ot3mf.jpg.

Some of the owners just cut a big rectangular hole and covered it with
chicken wire, but eventually they will be forced to replace their covers
because they look terrible and did it without permission.

I was thinking of something like this
http://w.mawebcenters.com/static/ecommerce/93/93227/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/p/8/p8180126_1.jpg

Whatever I do, will eventually be done to all 12 decks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:29:52 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

I assume the hole in the far wall is the opening in
question. If so, that thing you've found is probably as
good as you're going to get. Another possibility would
be one of the large gable vents. But one has to wonder
if that is anywhere near sufficient to adequately get
air in and out. If the AC is positioned so that air
blows out the opening, how does replacement air get in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2014 6:29 AM, sms wrote:

Here's a jpg of what the deck looks like:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/1ot3mf.jpg.

Some of the owners just cut a big rectangular hole and covered it with
chicken wire, but eventually they will be forced to replace their covers
because they look terrible and did it without permission.

I think your idea will work with a couple of caveats. The opening area
must be at least as large as the discharge area of the AC unit. There
must also be en equal or greater amount of inlet space for makeup air.

You may also want o put a baffle under the deck to channel the air to
the vent opening and not have hot air blowing up from the bottom while
sitting on the deck.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/1/2014 8:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/1/2014 6:29 AM, sms wrote:

Here's a jpg of what the deck looks like:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/1ot3mf.jpg.

Some of the owners just cut a big rectangular hole and covered it with
chicken wire, but eventually they will be forced to replace their covers
because they look terrible and did it without permission.

I think your idea will work with a couple of caveats. The opening area
must be at least as large as the discharge area of the AC unit. There
must also be en equal or greater amount of inlet space for makeup air.

You may also want o put a baffle under the deck to channel the air to
the vent opening and not have hot air blowing up from the bottom while
sitting on the deck.

I plan to have the egg-grate grilles made as large as the side panels
will allow. The problem that people have run into is having too small of
an inlet.

A baffle is a good idea. I can hang it from the underside of the deck
using some stainless steel chains or cables.