Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Side door

Higgs Boson has left town; too embarrassed to admit he was yakking on about hollow core exterior side door --when it was ***solid core*** all the time!

I am carrying out HB instructions to post this horrible pic

to illustrate how lower part of door has been ****ed up by allowing watering nearby plants to hit the door over time.

So it's solid core now, and HB will have to eat the expen$e. And install solid core as most have recommended for ext door.

Helpful NG members have suggested going to a lumberyard or ??? where ??? to order new door rather than buy blank at Home Despot. Is that because "door professionals" will install window (and cat door) and hardware as ordered?

Would HD do the same? Cheaper? Quality?

Does some of this have to be done in situ -- like hardware, locks, etc.?

TIA

/signed/

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:14:29 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

http://i61.tinypic.com/jal94z.jpg

Well, I fixed your link. Is this in Detroit or Santa Monica?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Higgs Boson has left town; too embarrassed to admit he
was yakking on about hollow core exterior side door
--when it was ***solid core*** all the time!

I am carrying out HB instructions to post this horrible
pic

to illustrate how lower part of door has been ****ed up
by allowing watering nearby plants to hit the door over
time.

So it's solid core now, and HB will have to eat the
expen$e. And install solid core as most have recommended
for ext door.

No, you do NOT want a "solid core door" for an exterior door. You want an
ENTRY door. It could be steel, fiberglass, vinyl(?) or wood frame and
panel.

If you get a solid core door you will get exactly what you have now...a
piece of particle board with a couple of luan or masonite skins glued on.
It will not last.
_____________________

Does some of this have to be done in situ -- like
hardware, locks, etc.?

If you are trying to line up new door hinges/locks, etc with existing frame,
yes; if you are installing the whole works, no.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

| So it's solid core now, and HB will have to eat the expen$e. And install
solid core as most have recommended for ext door.

Not solid core. Solid wood slab. The lumber yards
will probably call it staved birch. All cuts will need
to be done on site, presumably by whoever hangs
the door.

You *could* get another type of door: exterior panel
door, metal, fiberglas, prehung or not, etc. But it will have
to fit the opening and allow for cutting the cat door.
That's not going to be feasible with most door options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Helpful NG members have suggested going to a lumberyard or ??? where ??? to order new door rather than buy blank at Home Despot. Is that because "door professionals" will install window (and cat door) and hardware as ordered?

Would HD do the same? Cheaper? Quality?

Does some of this have to be done in situ -- like hardware, locks, etc.?

Home Depot is a crap shoot. They are no cheaper on most things, the
quality may be good, maybe no so good. I'd ask at a lumberyard to see
who could do what you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Helpful NG members have suggested going to a lumberyard or ??? where ???
to order new door rather than buy blank at Home Despot. Is that because
"door professionals" will install window (and cat door) and hardware as ordered?

Would HD do the same? Cheaper? Quality?

Does some of this have to be done in situ -- like hardware, locks, etc.?

Home Depot is a crap shoot. They are no cheaper on most things, the
quality may be good, maybe no so good. I'd ask at a lumberyard to see
who could do what you need.

Another option is shopping where the contractors shop, like a
Norandex-Reynolds location.

I bought all of my windows and doors through them. On average I'd say I got
"one level up" from the big box stores for the same price. In other words,
for the price of a big box in-stock door, I got the first-level special
order door.

Different brands, but feature for feature, the same or better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Another option is shopping where the contractors shop, like a
| Norandex-Reynolds location.

Norandex seems to be something that only has a spotty
presence and only in the midwest. I'm in NE and the closest
store listed to me is in Maryland. There is something
that is probably similar where I live -- Harvey Industries.
I find they're the best place for storm doors and windows,
vinyl siding, etc. But they cater to that type of contractor --
what might be called replacement contractors. They're not
usually carpenters or craftsmen. So the companies that
serve them carry almost nothing in wood. I only go to
Harvey when I need a storm door or storm window. Since HB
wants to cut a cat door, there's a good chance that nothing
at such a dealer would be relevant. They're likely to deal in
prehung steel and fiberglas doors.

(Many of the contractor dealers also only sell to contractors.
One has to show some evidence of a contractor's licence or
of being in the business. At least that's true at Harvey. It
looks like Norandex will sell to the general public.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote:
| Another option is shopping where the contractors shop, like a
| Norandex-Reynolds location.

Norandex seems to be something that only has a spotty
presence and only in the midwest. I'm in NE and the closest
store listed to me is in Maryland.

Only in the Midwest? Did Maryland move since the last time I was there?

I don't know where you are in NE, but I bought my stuff at a Norandex in
Western NY. Isn't most of NE closer to Western NY than Maryland?

There is something
that is probably similar where I live -- Harvey Industries.
I find they're the best place for storm doors and windows,
vinyl siding, etc. But they cater to that type of contractor --
what might be called replacement contractors. They're not
usually carpenters or craftsmen. So the companies that
serve them carry almost nothing in wood. I only go to
Harvey when I need a storm door or storm window. Since HB
wants to cut a cat door, there's a good chance that nothing
at such a dealer would be relevant. They're likely to deal in
prehung steel and fiberglas doors.

(Many of the contractor dealers also only sell to contractors.
One has to show some evidence of a contractor's licence or
of being in the business. At least that's true at Harvey. It
looks like Norandex will sell to the general public.)

It also helps if you know someone in the business. At the time I was
looking for my windows I met a salesman that had just retired from
Norandex. He called his former coworkers and got me a bit of discount. Even
without it the prices were better than the big box stores.